Forumite

sbpel chekkers

HOME Forums Tech Software Talk sbpel chekkers

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by dwynnehugh 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh

Yep as the name suggests.

For some time I have been helping an elderly relative with his 3rd book – this time in Welsh!!!  Unfortunately using Word on the English setting makes the page look like a bloodbath until it realises that it cannot cope and gives up. In Welsh things like “I” are “i”  etc. etc. I allowed Word to give up on the spell checker and did manual changes.  Went OK.

In the past few days I have used Word to prepare a report on some work done by builders at my home, used the s/checker and got the message to the effect that the “Welsh version was not installed on this computer etc. etc …..” Have ensured that keyboard, regional settings, Word – option – language are all set to English by default but the same bl**dy message keeps on coming up on the report document.  IT’S IN ENGLISH!!!

If I look at the Word – options – language settings in the above doc – it tells me that all is in English!!

If I start a new Word document – the s/checker works OK.

If I copy / paste from my report into a fresh Word doc and ask for a s/check I get the same bl**dy message about the Welsh version etc. etc.

Anyone please know what’s happening?

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 4,581

Can’t help Dwynne, but I do recall my granddad, 3 generations gone from North Wales, had learned Welsh so that he could write a column for the Swansea paper that he wrote for. Saw himself as Welsh, although born English in Staffordshire and his great grandfather was our last Welsh-born family member. Always impressed our Welsh ancestry upon us grandkids.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 1,393

Has anyone any ideas at all on this please?

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,303

Is the option to detect the language being used automatically ticked?  Sometimes these options need to be ticked and unticked several times before the document gets the message

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 1,311

Dave

If this is any help ? – there is a free on-line Welsh Spell Checker

http://www.stars21.com/spelling/welsh/

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,394

When you paste do a paste special and only copy the text.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 2,725

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

When you paste do a paste special and only copy the text.

Dave, is that because the pasting operation will otherwise cause the document to inherit the features of the document from whence the item came?

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 2,725

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh

Thanks to you all, Dave’s ‘paste special’ does work and frees up the spell checker in the new doc.

What I simply cannot understand there is absolutely NO Welsh at all in the Word doc yet the s/checker only allows me to s/check in Welsh – as far as I can see/check ALL relevant language for this doc is set to English.

Richard – ” .. Is the option to detect the language being used automatically ticked? ..’ err dunno, I’m not certain how I’d get to there – I have looked at grammar and s/checker in the options in the doc itself and they all point to English.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,505

Maybe Windows 10 was just being confusingly ‘helpful’ with an automagical setting! The last time I had to use multiple languages was in Windows XP and it looks like much has changed.

link

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Thanks to you all, Dave’s ‘paste special’ does work and frees up the spell checker in the new doc. What I simply cannot understand there is absolutely NO Welsh at all in the Word doc yet the s/checker only allows me to s/check in Welsh – as far as I can see/check ALL relevant language for this doc is set to English. Richard – ” .. Is the option to detect the language being used automatically ticked? ..’ err dunno, I’m not certain how I’d get to there – I have looked at grammar and s/checker in the options in the doc itself and they all point to English.

Sorry for the delay responding, it is found under:

Review

Set language

and is a tick box on the language page.

I am not sure that this is an answer to your issue, but language changes used to plague me at one point, however, I did ‘the magic something‘ and it appears that it fixed things. The problem is that I cannot now remember how I got into the mess, nor how I dug my way out again.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh

Hi Richard,

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO VERY MUCH.

As you are that good – can you now please re-implant the hair that used to be on my head!! ????

Perhaps I should also add that this particular doc was entirely in English but when I asked for it to be spell-checked it came up with a retort that the Welsh spell checker wasn’t installed on my PC. Fixed.  Diolch yn fawr!  Dave

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image