Scam?

HOME Forums Tech Security Talk Scam?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Wheels-Of-Fire 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

This morning I received an email purporting to come from Aliexpress telling me a parcel had arrived in its destination country for me. Whilst I have a few things not yet delivered, I am not aware Aliexpress are involved. They cited an order number and tracking details, as well as a link “attached you can find tracking information”.

There was also an attachment, “trackingnumbernonsense.zip”so I opened that. This was now titled “trackingnumbernonsense.exe”, 1.3MB, and type dos/windoze.

Of course I would have avoided it, and probably had a virus notification if I was a windoze user myself,

I take it this is a real threat, so worth keeping an eye out for if a windoze user.

Les.

Spread the love
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 539

I don’t think it needs a question mark on your thread name 😉

Anything that comes zipped I would tend to ignore!

I had one today from HSBC about some documents, and as I was waiting for some from them, I thought it could be real – until I noticed it had been sent to my screwfix@realemail alias, so it’s clearly fake (and Screwfix have either sold my email or been hacked).

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Drezha.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,307

I also had one from HSBC, a text message, saying my account had been locked. A link in the text to reset the relevant details.

Knew it was a scam from the start, I have an account with a HSBC spin off. Just logged in to my account as usual, no problems.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,043

I noticed it had been sent to my screwfix@realemail alias, so it’s clearly fake (and Screwfix have either sold my email or been hacked). ”

I will be watching for that, I use Screwfix a lot, thanks Drezha.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 793

Apparently I am buying a fair amount of jewelry on ebay and paying with my paypal account these days. I must be because I keep getting delivery confirmation emails. Of course if im not happy I can always click a provided link. Or I can logon to ebay or paypal directly and find its a load of tosh.

Now what to do 🤔

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love