Scanner output problems

HOME Forums Tech Linux Talk Scanner output problems

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by D-Dan 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

I have an HP 8500A “all in one” which is WiFi from my Mint 19.(and since my recent reinstall, every thing works)

I use Xsane for scanning, but its out put is in .pnm format. I used to be jpg (I think). OK, I can open that format, but it seems some others can’t. I went thro SETTINGS to see if I could change it back to .jpg, but could find nothing. I sent a copy of a Post Office receipt to a guy in Zambia, and he could not open it (no idea of his setup).

Any suggestions please?

Les.

Spread the love
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,715

Try changing file extension when you save, but read this first:

“Pnm and ps (and raw) are always available. The other formats are only available if necessary libraries are present and support is compiled in. For png you need libpng and libz, for jpeg you need jpeglib, for tiff you need libtiff. ”

link

If this does not work then the Mint team have screwed up, try Simple scan instead.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 543

Well, double success. Between writing of problem, and reading your reply, I decided to try the simple scan. I have used it before, and would describe it as competent  but cumbersome. Anyway, it gave output in .pdf, which everybody and his (their) dog can read.

Then read your reply, and went to properties again. This time I found the output choice. I had only looked at the line above, the output, which is determined either by default, or the NEXT line. Anyway, I now have a .jpg output, as well as simple scan if Xsane fails.

Thanks, Les.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,294

With xsane (and this is Arch, not Mint, but no reason to suspect different), have you simply tried the drop down?

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love