Forumite

Screws

HOME Forums Home and DIY Other DIY Topics Screws

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Richard 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

I purchased these finger plates. They don’t come with screws but I have some. They arrived the holes are countersunk but the screw head (on the screws I have) are still a little big (7mm) and I am frightened of catching on them.

The holes are 6mm diameter (including countersink) so I am after screws with a 4 to 4.5mm head.

I have searched many but I am finding they don’t understand a brumy or I don’t understand the head or thread size, I mean what the —– is M2.

So I am after 8 to 15mm screw length with a 4mm to 4.5mm head in diameter.

like this

It's said to be easy when you know how. If you don't know how, then you need the help of forumites.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 1,732

John

How about ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zinc-BZP-SOLO-WOODSCREW-DOUBLE-COUNTERSUNK-SOLOC-Screws-3-5-4-0-4-5-5-0-6mm/254269284772?hash=item3b33a161a4:m:m_9yHItR6FpZfiAZtwYXbBw

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 3,035

nice one I ordered some 4mm x 15mm sadly the 4.5mm start at 40mm (length),

Them should do, thanks.

It's said to be easy when you know how. If you don't know how, then you need the help of forumites.

Cheers
    John

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 612

M2 is a machine thread (the type which takes a nut) where the shaft is 2mm thick.

Wood screws are mainly metric now which relates to their thickness. The head size can vary between brands.
    IIRC the old No6 screws were approx 3.5mm & No8 4mm
    If the countersink (csk) is 6mm, I’m guessing that the hole will be 4mm & as it’s a thin plate you will probably need 3.5mm csk screws to make sure the heads sit below the surface.

If the ones you’ve ordered don’t fit (I suspect they might still be too large), let me know & I’ll send you some – although a box of 200, 3.5 x 15mm is only £1.41 from Toolstation or Screwfix. I would drill 2.5mm pilot holes.
    Try them in the plates without screwing them down otherwise the screw holes will be too big if you need smaller screws.

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Wasbit

Maybe the 3.5mm will be better, cheers for the offer they don’t rob the bank so I have now ordered some 3.5mm.

Cheers
    John

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,749

If I need anything like that JB, my first option is the local Screwfix. For anything I want to match up, I take one to Screwfix and they take the time to match up whatever it is.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Bob I went to screwfix, I hadn’t got one to match up. I said to the assistent I was after a countersink with a 3.5mm head and 15mm thread. She said we don’t sell in those sizes and didn’t know what I meant, it took me 20mins to get her to understand. The box of screws she sold me clearly states (on the box) 3.5mm x 16mm?

Cheers
    John

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 1,732

The old designation of these screws as 6 x 5/8″ (6 head/5/8″ length) can become 3.5 x 15mm 0r 3.5 x 16mm now according to whoever is selling/measuring them ?

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 4,123

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/screwsize.htm

I found the above guide to wood screw sizes. It may help someone ?

The size of machine screws and bolts using the M standard also specifies the thread pitch and spanner/screwdriver size. You can find a list in the Wiki for M screw sizes.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,303

Thank you, that could be very useful. The document is saved for later study. I currently really like the hex drive screws that you can get. They are so much more certain than the other styles of drive with a tendency for Posidrive to let me down,. This is possibly due to my increasingly feeble hand grip; arthritis and tendon pulley troubles really do not help.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!