Forumite

Seaside Lunacy –

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Seaside Lunacy – 2Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Lemmings flock to the coast in some places. Social distancing my ar*e!

https://tinyurl.com/ybbwa3sy

I’m just pleased we didn’t get that at Sutton on Sea! I don’t go near Skeggy at this time of year even in normal times, unless tere’s a good show on at the Embassy Theatre.

Meanwhile, yesterday in Sutton on Sea, we noticed a big uptake in visitors, al observing social distance. Doesn’t look too many there, but that beach is just a small part of the 50+ miles of Lincolnshire beaches. Numbers were spread as far as the eye could see.

Seaside Lunacy – 3Seaside Lunacy – 4

Seaside Lunacy – 5

Even the Dunes were social distancing!

Observed as we made our >3 miles walk along the coastal path and back yesterday. It’s been so good to get back into it regularly again! Most people were congregated around the area of the ice cream/drinks/cafe/ area. All quite peaceful until a huge bunch of inlanders arrived. I could tell they were Townies, they all communicated by SHOUTING. A Lot. I took exception to one of their dogs trying to eat my ice cream and made my feelings known to its owner.

We walked on.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Seaside Lunacy – 6Bob Williams.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Seaside Lunacy – 7Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,581

I’d like to know where all those people at Bournemouth area came from. If the council are right it was more than the entire population of Dorset! It’s a PITA to get to from this part of the world, there are much easier beaches to hit much closer and easier to get to any way. I can’t imagine it’s anyone coming east for the same reason.

Birmingham was mentioned but I’ll bet it’s the M3 corridor plus it’s only a 2 hour direct train ride from Waterloo. By train it’d be easier to get to Torquay / Paignton from Bristol, never mind Weston-super-mud.

Participant
    Seaside Lunacy – 8Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 1,677

Definitely the M3 corridor – it is so easy to get to Bournemouth that way.  Ridiculous parking too !

IMHO they should have impounded the cars of all those getting parking fines there today and made them walk home.

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Participant
    @ricedg

Your vehicle has been put in self isolation where it will be tested for traces of Covid-19.

If positive you will hear from a member of the Test & Trace team who will need to know the contact details of anyone who came within spitting distance 2 metres  of you, or any members of your bubble, at any time during the day and the registration number of any vehicle that did so too. We will need to see any dash-cam footage you have to make sure you’re not telling porkies you haven’t missed any vital information.

Members of your bubble will also be compelled to fess up contacted and their alibis valuable contributions will be cross referenced to identify the guilty added to the sum of our knowledge to help the fight against Covid-19.

If you have installed the NHSX app, we have already slurped as much of your personal data as we can but nothing else worth a candle please treat the requests from the T & T Team as if you haven’t.

Also please spam Apple and Google as it’s their fault for not altering their operating system for us being intransigent and hampering our World Beating app which we were told wouldn’t work before spending £12 million. They have a track record of not giving in to encryption back doors aiding terrorists.

In the spirit of the Test & Trace initiative we will be putting all the registrations numbers in a hat and the first 30% drawn out will not be subject to any enquiries whatsoever.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Seaside Lunacy – 10Dave Rice.
    Participant
    Seaside Lunacy – 11Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,572

It was and is to be expected. Although the Government had to publicise the rules for relaxing the lock-down they made no attempt to explain why the public had to wait 10 days or so (expected decline in infected people), they also made no attempt to show what could happen in terms of increased numbers of cases if people did not wait.

It was crazy to keep swimming pools locked (especially the lidos). From what I can see there is zero science behind it, as all scientists agree that the virus does not survive in chlorinated water. Without some way of cooling off it was all very predictable.

Participant
    Seaside Lunacy – 12johnbarry
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,458

Birmingham

Bull—- it wasn’t me nor anyone round here. :negative:

Cheers
    John

Participant
    Seaside Lunacy – 13Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 2,545

From what I can see there is zero science behind it, as all scientists agree that the virus does not survive in chlorinated water. Without some way of cooling off it was all very predictable.

My understanding is the changing rooms, as we’re having this conversation about the pool at work. The gym is desperate to reopen, as it’s a source of income to the University, but the Government has been very clear at the minute that gyms can’t open. Besides, we’ve got the mammoth task of getitng the other buildings reopen!

Some of us are still working so can’t go off to the beach, even if we wanted to! (counting my blessing there though, as I’d rather be working than furloughed or unemployed…)

Participant
    Seaside Lunacy – 11Ed P
    @edps

Gyms I understand too much heavy breathing results in aerosoled particles – same logic applies to singing in churches which is also banned.

I would have thought that swimming pool changing rooms have very similar problems to pubs/restaurants with the additional requirement for clothing/wet towel bags. In my view these are problems capable of moderately easy solutions albeit at higher cost for the clean-up crew.

Participant
    @ricedg

Well the situation at the various (public) marine lakes along the Bristol Channel and inland freshwater ponds is one of the same social distancing chaos. The trustees of these places cannot understand why swimming pools are not open as at least some sort of organisation can be applied.

We can all see the threat to close the beaches is an empty one that could not possibly be enforced. I think everyone is so tired of falsified statistics that they aren’t to going to take any warnings seriously even if the Govt. decided to admit a mistake had been made.

I’ve seen a promo video by the Cornwall Tourist Board that tries to explain that things won’t be as normal and you can’t just rock up to a restaurant and sit down. Plus of course spaces will be limited. B&B, hotels, caravan and camping grounds will sell as many holidays as they cam, and who’s to blame them? Where are all these people going to eat, never mind what are they going to do all day? – attractions will be for advanced ticket holders only with limited admissions. The plea on the video is if you find where you are going to be a bit busy, please go somewhere else. Like that’s going to happen.

It will be chaos, I’m not going anywhere near Wadebridge / Padstow for quite a while, despite wanting to be with the family again.

Participant
    Seaside Lunacy – 16PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,829

The rules in Wales are still different, didn’t stop a load of RSoles having a pretty big dust-up at Ogmore On Sea yesterday.

We are probably 3 weeks behind England regarding restrictions, exercise is still only allowed ‘5 miles’ from home. Of course loads of people ignore it. Just like all the other restrictions.

I still can’t go and test fly my new quadcopter legally, I believe that if I wanted to chance it I’d have a fair chance of getting away with it due to my autism, not going to chance it.

Yet………… :scratch:

Participant
    Seaside Lunacy – 17The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,396

Given the protests, beach outing and the dust up in Wales, (which is a sight to see). If we don’t get a peek in months time, I’d hazard a guess there wont be a second spike.

Saying that it will just be out luck there will be a spike and the Welsh pubs will never bloody open.

We are looking at probably the 3rd of August opening (my guess on what the FM hinted at last Friday). This is 5 weeks from now, so ideal time to be just to late to open before a nother peak is due!

Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,353

Good luck with that Steve. Good result, end of 30 years pain?

I'm out.

Participant
    Seaside Lunacy – 17The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,396

Bit of a strange feeling, muted celebrations cos of the times. Also winning it so early, took away any run in nerves. Last year was horrible Every week having to win, and being matched by city at every turn.

Everyone knew it was over this year by Jan,  we wouldnt say it out load, bit all the oppositions would say it, so it was just a matter of when, not if this year. Such a very UN Liverpool way of doing things.

But yes it is nice. Nice to celebrate it properly. I was 10 the last time around. So was only allowed 4 pints back them.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

I was 10 the last time around. So was only allowed 4 pints back then.

Might be a joke, but I remember my 70’s GF in Huyton. She was the eldest of 10, but with 6 lads there was always one nicking dad Ken’s beer. They took a while to figure out how he knew which one did it – always the one who disappeared when Ken blew up. My introduction to Liverpool, enjoyed every minute. As the youngest of 3 by 15 years, I was almost an only child and being welcomed into that family was – er – exciting! Being told “Yer talk funny” in broad Scouse by a 3 yo was interesting, lol.

I'm out.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

I was 10 the last time around. So was only allowed 4 pints back then. ” Might be a joke, but I remember my 70’s GF in Huyton. She was the eldest of 10, but with 6 lads there was always one nicking dad Ken’s beer. They took a while to figure out how he knew which one did it – always the one who disappeared when Ken blew up. My introduction to Liverpool, enjoyed every minute. As the youngest of 3 by 15 years, I was almost an only child and being welcomed into that family was – er – exciting! Being told “Yer talk funny” in broad Scouse by a 3 yo was interesting, lol.

I am enjoying watching your team play though, such speed on the ball, every player seems to know where every other players is at all times. Great passing, crossing and always having a pop at goal by anyone in position. Proper football.

I'm out.

Participant
    Seaside Lunacy – 13Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 2,545

We are probably 3 weeks behind England regarding restrictions, exercise is still only allowed ‘5 miles’ from home.

I think this weekend is the first time my parents have been legally allowed to pick up my sister from her student house in Cardiff and bring her back to Devon, due to the differing Welsh rules.

Or she’s finally had enough of her rule breaking housemates and has decided to go home!

Participant
    @ricedg

Rules or no, the Mrs and B-I-L went up to Bangor 2 weekends ago to empty the student house. Lease dates are no respecter of rules, but as I understand it the local police made it known it wasn’t going to be an issue.

God knows what’s going on next year, she was supposed to be going to China for the first semester then Austria for 2 and 3, it’s a vital part of a language degree. The way things work in China it’s not possible to swap them around, don’t know exactly why but think it’s to do with the academic year. Unlike Austria or Germany (at the moment) she can’t work there either,  so that’s not an option. If they feck up the leave negotiations who knows about Austria too?

All that debt she’s built up, plus our not insignificant contribution, and the Govt just doesn’t have a plan and indeed seems hell bent on being total winkers about anything EU related.

Participant
    Seaside Lunacy – 11Ed P
    @edps

Unfortunately we & the EU are playing the loser is ‘who blinks first’ game. Not an ideal way to conduct negotiations and not a good basis for long term relationships. I suspect that nothing with move on Brexit before the next Covid wave in October.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.