Forumite

Security alert in all browsers

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk Security alert in all browsers

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Wheels-Of-Fire 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hi all.</p>
    There is a spare pc in my son’s room so i thought I’d check to see if it’s worth selling or if not I’d update it etc ready for if he starts using it for school.

When i went into Chrome it was coming up with the security error do i checked the time and date, all fine. I cleared all history and restarted the browser, no good. I then thought I’d uninstall Chrome and go into Edge to reinstall but low and behold that also comes up with the error, this time doing the security certificate. Lastly i tried opera and it’s the same.

I’ve also ran defender and malware bytes that i had previously installed and neither found anything.

I’m stumped.

Any thoughts on how i can sort it?

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,499

Could it be the date/time is wrong in BIOS rather than Windows – if you have checked that ignore me but woth a look.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 4,562

Could it be the date/time is wrong in BIOS rather than Windows – if you have checked that ignore me but worth a look.

Valid point from BL: also, how old is the PC, how long was it switched off/unplugged? BIOS batteries, when they are older, do not like losing the charge trickled in 24/7 when the wall socket is plugged in and switched on. Try a new CR 2032 BIOS battery, available anywhere. I always run a power cable to a stored PC, leave the power socket and PC PSU switch ON (if there is one fitted at the rear of the PSU) and PC switched OFF at front panel.

I have a feeling that not all those browsers could be wrong!

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle
    Forumite Points: 214

Cheers guys

It’s been switched off but plugged in for quite a while.

It’s not that old, has an i3-4130 for example.

I’ll check the bios maybe tomorrow. If it’s okay there, any other thoughts what could cause it?

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

I just re read your initial post Marc. Can you reproduce the Security Error code, and the Security Certificate? Was that last a request to install a Certificate, or a message that the certificate was not allowed by the browser?

I ask that because Firefox threw out my Kaspersky Certificate after an FF upgrade, a couple of weeks ago. I could not get anything to work in Windows7/64, except in IE11, which I hate. Then I found a way around it in Kaspersky, which will not help you of course. Try googling “Security Certificates and Chrome” – I believe from several other forum posts, that this came up after browser updates. It certainly did in Firefox, which had so many complaints that they brought out another update to fix it.

EDIT: OOOPPSS!! Chrome does have a problem: –

http://tinyurl.com/y7chyysl

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

Cheers.

The error comes up on those 3 different browsers, not just Chrome. They say something different to each other but all regarding the security.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 2,682

Hi Mark

Could you just tell me the exact message you get with internet explorer please ?

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Oops Marc, sorry ?

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

I can’t check Chrome as initially i thought it was just Chrome so uninstalled it ready to download again and start fresh. Now IE won’t let me download it again.

SCRATCH THAT – i just went in to get those errors. It started booting up and the PC went into a big update, took ages. When it restarted i went into IE and it let me download Chrome. Now Chrome seems fine as well!

Typical

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Same thing happened with Firefox, basically. An update had to be supplied, to “cure” an update. It’s way past time that all browsers and AV programmers, communicated better with each other, especially concerning such a basic thing as Security Certificates. That is what can really mess up your day, not being able to use a browser. Or any browser, come to that.

--- Robin Williams

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,303

I always try to update any machine of unknown provenance before trying to use it for anything else, it is only if it will not cooperate that I start to dig deeper. Many times it might take a few hours to a few days to complete the updates if it has been off line for a while.

I find it often gives a far better baseline from which to work once all updates are done.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

As Bob says it was probably a case of expired security certificates.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Thanks W-o-F, that is a very useful Link.

I saved it to Firefox Pocket:   https://getpocket.com   another useful Link given to me by Steve (The Duke) some time ago. Saves whole pages that I can come back to exactly as they were presented.

--- Robin Williams

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Glad you liked it Bob.

I would also mention, while I’m at it, that the certificate validity period is why the system clock is important here. If your system time and date is well off it will appear that all your certificates have expired !

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Yes that’s why I often check my system time & date against my mobile phone. I know they can be a little out, but errors in sys time show up as glaring, IME. Also use the phone time to check my Black Forest cuckoo clock before going to bed. Supposed to be super-efficient, but over 9 years I found that British weather really screws with it.

Incidentally, I just read a wonderful Kindle book “Longitude” by Dana Sobel. All about John Harrison’s clocks and watches, with his struggle to win the Longitude prize against the opposition of entrenched Establishment “scientists”. His son William eventually won the day, but not until the so-called “mad” King George III took up his struggle and used his position to bounce the opposition. A very good read, after it I came to ask: why is this man not more celebrated in this country? Oh wait, he started life as a Lincolnshire farmer’s son. The whole world owes him, big time.

--- Robin Williams

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

Cheers guys, glad it’s now sorted

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image