Set printer for an Disabled / Idle man

HOME Forums Other Stuff Set printer for an Disabled / Idle man

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by johnbarry 4 days, 6 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

I have an epson XP235, (in fact any printer) Windows 10

I am using it wifi (as it’s too far away for a cable)

When I need to print I have to get up and turn (power) on the printer, before I can select print.

Is there a way to power on my printer from the PC, to save me getting up.

A search just finds things to use printer offline (not power on) I think this means you can send to a que and it will print when you power on the printer. Meaning you still have to get up and power on.

I want to power on the printer from the PC and not get up, then print and collect the print out, at another time.

Cheers
    John

Spread the love
Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,085

Sounds like you need a ‘smart’ power socket.

Lots of them out there, from basic infra-red remote (like a tv) to WiFi controlled ones.

My Instagram

My YouTube

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 1,749

Thanks PM

Seems a simple solution.

Cheers
    John

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,147

agree – just throwing in an alternative…… if your router supports a USB printer then you may be able to connect that way. My Asus router works that way – if I click “print” from a PC/Laptop/Phone/Tablet the router wakes up the printer and off it goes. Only works if the printer/router locations are practical.

Sorry ignore me – mine is connected via ethernet not usb – apologies – as you were!

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Interesting blacklion,Irecall at some point the printer had tuned on. After reading your post, it must have been when I used ethernet.

I tried it wifi and it deosn’t come on, goes into a print que, once I power on it prints from the que.

PM As regards your link, it talks about remote but no remote control with it. You need smart equipment ie alexa mobile etc but no PC control

Cheers
    John

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,085

John, you don’t NEED a phone or other ‘home’ device, it’ll work on your Win 10 PC via IFTTT (if this then that)

Might be a bit of a learning curve though, not played with it for a while.

In  theory you can set it up so when you push print on your PC the WiFi socket switches on.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,721

A smart socket may not do it. My Epson has a ‘soft’ power button, so it doesn’t switch on if the mains is switched on. I can’t reach the plugs to test it at the moment though.

John – Turn the printer on as if it’s ready to print, switch the wall socket off for a few minutes, then switch it back on. If it turns on ready to print, you’re fine.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,266

I’ve never had this problem with *most* printers, I just leave them turned on and they print when asked but they seem to be asleep when I look at their control panels. I get the occasional problem with my Samsung laser if there is an unexpected power loss. The charity I look after uses Epson Workforce printers (WiFi and Ethernet) and they don’t exhibit this problem and the only thing I’ve changed on them is the IP address and default page size.

Looking at an online manual for your printer:

Saving Power – Windows

1. Access the printer driver window.

2. Click Printer and Option Information on the Maintenance tab

3. Select the time period before the printer enters sleep mode as the Sleep Timer setting, and click Send. To make the printer turn off automatically, select the time period as the Power Off Timer setting, and click Send.

4. Click OK.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks PM
    Signed up to IFTTT for appletts, to turn on the wifi socket, however Tippon tests show it won’t turn on the printer.

Thanks Tippon

Your test shows a smart socket will be of no use, it seems the printer has a soft power button and doesn’t come on.

Thanks Dave

I set up the timer to turn off quicker, sadly I can’t set it to turn on.

It looks like I am going to have to get up to turn it on.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 17 hours ago by johnbarry.

Cheers
    John

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,266

Never mind John, it’s a PITA but a good excuse to have a bit more of a walk whilst you’re up. I know the feeling 😀

Whilst my prints will usually appear without intervention, the printers are either upstairs or downstairs from my comfortable seat!

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 512

My printer is the HP 8500A officejet Pro. It has a soft power button. If there is a power outage, or if you switch it OFF with the button, then you need to switch it ON before next use. At switch on, it will spend 10 mins churning and setting itself, no doubt wasting ink as it does so. Consequently I never switch it off unless I know I am going to switch the main power off a few times, so it only needs one “churn” session.

It is upstairs, banished by SWMBO as she says it is too big for the living room. Unless I have router problems, when it probably gets assigned a different address (192.168.0.xxx), then it never needs touching.

Les.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,306

A couple of YT videos John, both based on your printer – Setup wireless printer:

How to print from mobile device:

Epson Support site: register the printer if you didn’t do that when you bought it. Ask Epson the question you asked here.

https://tinyurl.com/y2cdypco

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Les

Maybe I need an HP, HP I think have pricey ink (no compats)

Thanks Bob I watched the YT vids I need a mobile and then download Epson IPrint to the mobile.

I print from a Desktop not mobile, but I will see if I can get IPrint for desktop.

I registered with Epson Support but it seems to offer drivers warranty not Contact Epson. I will have a good probe for Contact and send my question.

Cheers
    John

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Dave I forgot to say some say it’s good to walk.

I have found Epson Contact and emailed the above question?

Cheers
    John

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love