Forumite

Shipstones Beer

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Shipstones Beer 2Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Don’t know if any of the beer aficionado’s have come across this, it was a Nottingham beer and at one time sponsored Forest: could be seen on the shirt during the latter 80’s and 90’s. Anyway, it is now apparently a micro brewery and I have linked the FB webpage here:

https://tinyurl.com/y8g8cnn6

It was a very old brew, still available and as I recall a great drink at the time. All the old Notts breweries are gone now except for “Shippo’s” – Mansfield Ales, Home Brewery, Holes Ales, Kimberley, Hardy Hanson’s, Warwicks, Heppenstalls and many more. There are dozens of micro breweries, according to 2 of my CAMRA member pals back in my birth county. All a bit sad for me as I can no longer drink the stuff. :-(

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Shipstones Beer 3Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,581

Not heard of it, but I do like the idea of local breweries. Bristol seems to be an internationally renowned hot spot these days and they all seem to have survived by switching to home deliveries. I have received thank you emails from the two very local ones I’ve been using (S7N and GWB) both of which aren’t “craft breweries” by any means.

My favourite pub in the world, de Wildeman in Amsterdam knows all about Bristol beer making regular trips here elsewhere in the West Country looking for interesting brews. It re-opened on 1st June but only by reservation (2 hour blocks for up to 4 from 1 household) between 14:00 and 19:00 so I’ll not be rushing for the Eurostar just yet. Starting to really look forward to the day I can though.

Participant
    Shipstones Beer 4keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,502

Yeah, I can taste it now. When shipstons closed it seems Marstons pedegree filled the hole and its been the same ever since.

I recal being in the Navigation Inn @ Barrow Upon Soar. Drinking said drop when I was a lad and a lad came up to me and said keith you are sitting on my stool.  Oh well, westerns where all the rage at the time. I balme it on them.

Participant
    Shipstones Beer 3Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,581

LOL reminds me of my first experience of drinking in small Cornish village pubs and being deliberately steered to the “wrong” bar stool. Pubs used to be packed then, shoulder to shoulder, but still made room somehow when the man with the squeezebox arrived. Sadly packed no more, but even in an almost empty pub my Godfather had “his” stool until his recent demise. I doubt any local will sit there though.

Participant
    Shipstones Beer 2Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,353

My own first experience was with dad at a pub long gone. “The New Inn” was in fact the oldest pub in the village, a Free House, right on top of Church Hill, on what is the second highest spot in Nottinghamshire. That part of the village lies above the pit village and is known as “t’owd village.” It had just 2 rooms, a bar and a tiny ‘snug’ with a piano. Being opened in 1926, the pit had miners gravitating there from Wales, Staffordshire (my parents), Derbyshire and the North East, even a few Irishmen. Later still, Scotland, even a few from Ireland. Accents became my speciality from a young age: my dad’s best mate at work was huge County Cork bachelor, used to stand outside the door twisting his hat whilst talking to my mam. Also used to give me half a crown, a good sum for a kid in the early 50’s. Quite funny to see my 5’4″ dad and the 6’5″ “Juddy” King together.

I learned a few old songs in that pub from a Welsh pianist and singer, Billy Brooks. He managed to play and sing with a ciggy hanging out of his mouth, was bald, wore an old trilby pushed back on his head. If the singers behind him got out of tune after several pints of Home Ales, he would shout out “One singer, one song! Shurrup!”

Stones brewery wanted an ‘in’ around our area to get some of the ale profits from hard – drinking miners. They gave the landlord the chance of switching his licence to a new pub on the outskirts of the pit village, on land they bought for the purpose. He drove a hard bargain, asked for and got a lifetime licence. My dad, who had a good position at the pit, went to the Licencing Sessions as witness on the promise of free beer for life. The pub was built and the landlord Jack proceeded to drink himself to death. His wife took over and made more profit, but when she died it went gradually downhill. It was redeveloped after I left the village in 2000, knocked down and bought for a large house which now stands there.

Stones’ tried to enter into local character by calling it “The Jolly Friar”. My dad stopped drinking there after his first night of Stones beer, returned to his local “The Forest Folk” and Home Brewery beer.

Blimey I have gone off on one again!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.