SIM only contract

HOME Forums Tech Android Talk SIM only contract

This topic contains 21 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Richard 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

PlaneMan
    @planeman

For the first time ever I found myself actually needing a SIM only contract deal as I’ve been spending a lot on data now I can get out and about in the car.

I am currently on 3 PAYG and that was great, now my data use has increased a lot I went looking for some deals. Virgin Media have a nice offer for plenty of minutes and texts (not important really but nice) and 5GB data for £9 and I was tempted but 3 have an offer through Topcashback for 8GB data, all you can eat texts and 600 minutes for £12 and £50 cash back so effectively £7.83 a month and that includes a 12GB hotspot  allowance and Go Binge, so unlimited Netflix anywhere for £0 as long as you have some data allowance left.

As a bonus I can run both sims in my OnePlus 5T while I await for my number and credit to switch over to the new contract. 😀

My Instagram

My YouTube

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,471

Good deals take some digging out though with some you need to watch the small print. I now have more monthly data than I will use in a year or two for a pleasingly low price. This time I have nearly reach 100Mb, what a surprise it has never been so high before. The difference is you can get out and about I guess.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 754

I’m still on unlimited data with 3 – £25/month (had to commit to a year, now it is rolling monthly). I do a lot of streaming outside the “binge” allowance, including from my own home set up (HDD on my router). Its dear but I’m often north of 30GB data in a month and like the peace of mind of not worrying about it. the 4G is way better than WiFi in most places I go as well.

I think 3 are the only mob to offer unlimited (without throttling) now. Overkill for most  probably….and I keep my eyes and ears open for something better.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,326

I usually find that Three have the best deals for data.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,113

The only downside I’ve found with Three so far is the app. It’s probably because we’ve got two numbers on the account and kept our old numbers, but the app doesn’t want to update my details. We’ve had our first bills through, but the app keeps telling me that it can’t do anything until they’ve been produced. Not the end of the world, but a bit annoying.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,307

The app had an update yesterday, for me anyway. Hopefully it’ll be better now. It was shockingly bad, used to take an age to update, if it did at all!

Force stopping it can help, reinstalling is another option that has helped me in the past.

My Instagram

My YouTube

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,755

I’m sure 3 have a sister, or a piggy back service that launched late last year, that undercut giff gaff, for the life of me i can’t recall its name. Maybe Pure? Maybe worth a look. I’m sure it was some one here brought it to our attention. So they may jump it.

Update Smarty its called, by three.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by The Duke.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

It was me that pointed out Smarty, I looked at it yesterday but the three deal is better for me.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,043

Plusnet are using EE and their prices are actually cheaper for the same deals. Go figure that one!

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Same with giff gaff (on o2) and most of the MVNOs out there. There is only a few providers that run the lot the others just piggyback.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 754

I remember GiffGaff had a couple of massive outages years back when I used them. O2 stayed up at the same time – GiffGaff used the O2 backbone network but were less resilient and had their own single points of failure – not sure if that still applies to them or other piggybackers. Whole issue of piggyback/reselling is very complex and messy and probably only comes clear when one of the third parties goes t!ts up and the parent doesn’t.

The Duke
    @sgb101

I don’t think giff gaff has the issues it once did. The kids haven’t mentioned anything anyhow. Which is a good test.

Alan Wood
    Participant
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Points: 384

I have had two Giffgaff sims for some years on PAYG and never had any problems.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,121

Giffgaff is great – each month they give a contract renewal reminder and opportunity to change the contract level. Often if I have not done a lot of traveling (Xmas for instance) they will suggest I need a cheaper contract with less data. To my mind any company that reminds you to use a cheaper option has a lot going for it!

PlaneMan
    @planeman

My contract SIM came today when I was out having a medical assessment, now have my One Plus 5T running both PAYG and contract SIMs while the number and credit switch takes place. Totally confused the 3 app, had the PAYG as primary SIM then switched the data and texts to the contract SIM, phone calls, the phone is set to ask which SIM to use. The 3 app sorted itself out after about 1/2 an hour.

The 2 signal strength indicators show that the 2 SIMs are active.

My Instagram

My YouTube

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Had a cryptic text from 3 last night with no helpful info apart from ‘contact customer services’. Rather than hanging on the phone I went to the 3 store in town this morning, very helpful but odd looking bloke (one of the ones that has a big beard that looks wrong on him) did some investigating and figured out that 3 were trying to port my PAYG number from EE. The number has never been on EE, no wonder it failed.

Mr man did some more typing and declared that the change over would happen within 24 hours. Less than 2 minutes later I had a text saying the change over had happened and my PAYG SIM died.  Checked the app and my remaining credit was there and all my allowances were also updated, strangely I have an extra GB of data and 80 minutes of calls, no complaints here.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

When paperwork goes wrong…it take a computer to make a meal of it and a clued up human, (a dying breed in shops these days) to sort it out. I had a similar experience when changing within the EE group. The shop sorted it out. I was told it would be done by tomorrow, it was sorted out before I was home.

The Duke
    @sgb101

I think we be a little hard on computers. They work for more efficiently than any person and they have issues, but so do people.

Two weeks ago I personally handed a prescription, for my 9 year old, in to the surgery. The prescription originated from hospital, and just needed a signature of the doc, then it would be sent via fax to our local chemist.

The day I handed it in, was the last time i t was seen. It took 9 days to sort out! In reality, it should have taken on call from the doctors to the hospital.

No my wife has a lot of auto-renewal items, about 30 a week, at least once a month something goes missing.

Now my prescription once a month, 3 items, has been turning up at my chemist for over 5 years, me never needing to go the doctors. So that’s nice, as i spend enough time in medical places, without the need to attend for one’s self.

I feel people f up mores but computers f up more spectacular when they do.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Exactly so, when the people drop one and the computer has not been set up to  trap the errors things do go badly and the computer cannot act alone to get it sorted out. I have been on more tablets than I would really like and most times they have come out fine. When there is a change in the middle of a cycle things get difficult. The sensible human then steps in. This time they decided that the easy way was not to mess with the schedule but to bypass the process. I received a three month top up to take me through to renewal time when I should all get resolved correctly, I hope.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,121

If you can, it is always wise to check on other human’s actions especially wrt tablets.

I see on today’s Beeb that a Boot’s dispenser dropped one because he/she was under pressure, as was their ‘checker’ and gave someone the wrong drug. The recipient then accidentally overdosed on the drug as a result of his not doing his own checking!  He was very lucky just to get a scare as I had to be taken off that particular drug (amlodopine) as it resulted in my having a  potentially catastrophic collapse in blood sodium levels. (I am also very lucky in having a GP who has an excellent attention to detail and always follows up on  reports of adverse drug  reaction alerts. She also has a very healthy disrespect for big Pharma)

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

My wife goes over every tablet for our daughter with a fine tooth comb or rather an illuminated magnifying glass, She has picked up a few oddities including some wrongly package items once or twice. She is driven potty by changes in the shape, style or colour of tablets. Any disturbance to our daughter’s regime is highly likely to have ‘consequences’, including those involving big white ‘vans’ with blue lights., though it does not always take a tablet error to need one of those.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love