Tech Android Talk SIM only contract

This topic contains 21 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Richard 3 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 289 times

Viewing 9 posts - 10 through 18 (of 22 total)
  • Author

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101
      Forumite Coins: 225

Same with giff gaff (on o2) and most of the MVNOs out there. There is only a few providers that run the lot the others just piggyback.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385
    • @blacklion1725
      Forumite Coins: 88

I remember GiffGaff had a couple of massive outages years back when I used them. O2 stayed up at the same time – GiffGaff used the O2 backbone network but were less resilient and had their own single points of failure – not sure if that still applies to them or other piggybackers. Whole issue of piggyback/reselling is very complex and messy and probably only comes clear when one of the third parties goes t!ts up and the parent doesn’t.

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101

I don’t think giff gaff has the issues it once did. The kids haven’t mentioned anything anyhow. Which is a good test.

Alan Wood
    Participant
    • Total Posts 81
    • @alanrwood
      Forumite Coins: 71

I have had two Giffgaff sims for some years on PAYG and never had any problems.

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1363
    • @edps
      Forumite Coins: 270

Giffgaff is great – each month they give a contract renewal reminder and opportunity to change the contract level. Often if I have not done a lot of traveling (Xmas for instance) they will suggest I need a cheaper contract with less data. To my mind any company that reminds you to use a cheaper option has a lot going for it!

PlaneMan
    • Total Posts 694
    • @planeman
      Forumite Coins: 212

My contract SIM came today when I was out having a medical assessment, now have my One Plus 5T running both PAYG and contract SIMs while the number and credit switch takes place. Totally confused the 3 app, had the PAYG as primary SIM then switched the data and texts to the contract SIM, phone calls, the phone is set to ask which SIM to use. The 3 app sorted itself out after about 1/2 an hour.

The 2 signal strength indicators show that the 2 SIMs are active.

PlaneMan
    • Total Posts 694
    • @planeman
      Forumite Coins: 212

Had a cryptic text from 3 last night with no helpful info apart from ‘contact customer services’. Rather than hanging on the phone I went to the 3 store in town this morning, very helpful but odd looking bloke (one of the ones that has a big beard that looks wrong on him) did some investigating and figured out that 3 were trying to port my PAYG number from EE. The number has never been on EE, no wonder it failed.

Mr man did some more typing and declared that the change over would happen within 24 hours. Less than 2 minutes later I had a text saying the change over had happened and my PAYG SIM died.  Checked the app and my remaining credit was there and all my allowances were also updated, strangely I have an extra GB of data and 80 minutes of calls, no complaints here.

Richard
    Participant
    • Total Posts 679
    • @sawboman
      Forumite Coins: 270

When paperwork goes wrong…it take a computer to make a meal of it and a clued up human, (a dying breed in shops these days) to sort it out. I had a similar experience when changing within the EE group. The shop sorted it out. I was told it would be done by tomorrow, it was sorted out before I was home.

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101

I think we be a little hard on computers. They work for more efficiently than any person and they have issues, but so do people.

Two weeks ago I personally handed a prescription, for my 9 year old, in to the surgery. The prescription originated from hospital, and just needed a signature of the doc, then it would be sent via fax to our local chemist.

The day I handed it in, was the last time i t was seen. It took 9 days to sort out! In reality, it should have taken on call from the doctors to the hospital.

No my wife has a lot of auto-renewal items, about 30 a week, at least once a month something goes missing.

Now my prescription once a month, 3 items, has been turning up at my chemist for over 5 years, me never needing to go the doctors. So that’s nice, as i spend enough time in medical places, without the need to attend for one’s self.

I feel people f up mores but computers f up more spectacular when they do.

Viewing 9 posts - 10 through 18 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 3
Sawboman, JayCeeDee, tina10
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 983, Posts: 12,319, Members: 136
Welcome to our newest member, neucarepamphgesp
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm