Forumite

Sky/BBC collaboration.

HOME Forums TV, Film and Music TV Sky/BBC collaboration.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

I knew nothing about this, from last Monday apparently. Just throwing it out here, have not read it through yet. What do Forumites think?

https://tinyurl.com/t6r52d4

Beeb has been quiet about this, I wonder why?

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,434

Saw this yesterday and have been watching the forum topic – predictably people getting their knickers in a twist that the BBC dares get involved with SKY, the Beeb’s charter and Mission statement??!! along with the usual license fee woes.

As far as I can see, it’s a collaboration that will mostly be in the background. Nothing earth shattering except the BBC now seems to be getting involved with ‘Big Data’ to assist in targeting ads, trailers and recommendations.

That’s something ( ‘Big Data’ ) that I hate on one level, when I see on one website a recommend obviously taken from my browsing history on another, yet do not mind from within one website – if that makes sense.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,729

Yes I am waiting for certain bodies to become aware of this. If MSE get wind of it, the usual anti and pro – Beeb idiots will demonstrate their obsessions and argue the issues. I sometimes get some slight amusement from these people, they get so worked up.

Can’t see anything but benefits for both Sky and BBC. I know they are separate commercial bodies, but I often wonder why more broadcasting companies don’t collaborate on certain things. Maybe ITV, BBC, Ch.4, 5, w.h.y. showing some sport. Maybe Championship, which is actually the third most viewed football internationally*, or the whole of the EFL? I know 5 takes EFL highlights, but why not collaborate? Probably the British genius for failing to agree on anything, and put own interests first, never mind viewer choice.

That’s my mini-rant today. *After PL and the Bundesliga, apparently.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 4,183

It shows how much the likes of Netflix and HBO are shaking up the media world.

My new FreeSat TV already has a whole raft of on demand apps installed with the ability to add more. Helping someone look for a cheap smart TV  for their kid it seems that’s the case with them all now, even a £cheap 22″ Bush TV at Argos.

Our new TV is OLED and I thought the Rugby World Cup look fantastic, but having missed an episode of Seven Worlds, One Planet I fired up iPlayer and was amazed when it came down in 4K. Stunning doesn’t do it justice and I don’t watch it live now.

I’m quite happy to halve my Sky bill by kicking it out and paying for Netflix instead, with the added bonus that my daughter at Uni can also use the subscription for entertainment and to watch Chinese and German content for her studies.

Streaming is where it’s going to be at, and Jezza is going to give us all free fibre BB to watch it (ROFL). Oh and my TV streaming is over the Three 4G, the non business side of the house is now converted over.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 2,270

Interesting Dave – I agree the iPlayer stuff I’ve seen in 4K looks excellent (cup final last year springs to mind). Slight word of caution on TV apps as manufacturers often don’t support them as well as STB manufacturers. Saying that it is easy to fix with Fire/Roku/Shield etc.  Completely agree about streaming – not just for catch-up. The Sling offering in the USA offers subscribers a great selection of channels from $25, and easy to add on extras (sport etc). Has to happen here.

I am not a fan of the BBC but recognise that if it is to continue it has to move with the times – and it has been – there have been many collaborations for specific content already. I would also say that the iPlayer app is one of the better ones on all platforms.

My concern about it all is the “big brother” aspect where streaming (versus broadcast) gives a lot of information away about end-users.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 4,712

I see the article mentions the new britbox service. I did go to have a look, but I didn’t go past the part where 5hey wanted my card detail to try out the ‘free trail’. Shame, they are missing a trick by not giving you a month’s access then making you decide if you wish to pay for a service you’ve areay paid for.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 4,072

I would not mind my viewing habits being collected, it would PROVE that I can no longer stomach the BBC and no longer watch it. Maybe an end to me paying for a service I don’t use.

We could also get rid of the Broadcasters Audience Research Board who compile the viewing figures. Apparently they collect figures from 12200 people in 5100 households. Who are these people ? Do you know any of them ?

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

BL – I’m not getting rid of the Amazon TV box, it’s in the cupboard hibernating. But for the moment having everything under one controller (I’ve tried so called all-in-one remotes) is excellent. I have plugged the MK1 Chrome Cast back in though, just can’t get Panasonic’s casting working. Not something I do a lot but very useful when required.

Panasonic’s TV UI isn’t bad but I do miss the Sky TV guide. Although the Freesat 7 day guide is quite usable Sky really have nailed it, but I found the way Sky deals with catch up to be quite clunky. I do miss Live Pause though, another reason to stream rather than watch live.

We’ve been without a Sky box plugged in for 3 weeks now and haven’t really missed it so Sky will get the phone call tomorrow. Counting down the months until I can get out of the TalkTalk BB contract as Three is working out OK. Can’t get rid of the Cameron Safety Firewall which is ridiculously restrictive but firing up the VPN to my Digital Ocean server sorts that out.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 2,270

WoF – not just what channels you watch – but what programmes you watch and as we drift towards US-style political programming I think there is room for concern.

Dave – been Sky-less for a while now – YouView does a much better job of catchup than Sky. My Mum still has Sky and for me they’ve made the level of the Guide too fussy….would be better for me if they had the “old” Live TV menu on the first press with the catchup/box-sets/cinema as a second level option. My TV’s a Sony Android and generally love it – UI can be laggy though.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,434

We could also get rid of the Broadcasters Audience Research Board who compile the viewing figures. Apparently they collect figures from 12200 people in 5100 households. Who are these people ? Do you know any of them ?

They’re probably the ‘stars’ of Gogglebox- that’s one programme where, in my case at least, the adverts were counter-productive for the broadcaster!!

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Can you not plug in a hard drive to get live pause Dave ? I tried a flash drive but my TV insists it MUST be an SATA drive like it says in the manual.

One small reason I went for a Samsung was that casting was garunteed to work with my Samsung phone. And it does 😁

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

It’s got a USB 3 hard drive (not USB stick, it doesn’t like them) but apparently Live Pause only works with dedicated recorders not embedded TV.

I’ve had a Humax in the kitchen for quite a while and have now seen all the major GUIs, there’s no doubt that Sky have live TV cracked but not catch up and the Humax is slow. I haven’t seen what Sky’s Netflix integration is like though but they don’t have the breadth of apps so you need an extra box anyway.

The Panasonic Freesat TV (so I assume FreeView will be the same) has allowed me to get rid of all the other mains powered boxes. It needs an external HDD – a portable USB powered one is fine so that’s easy enough to hide somewhere. It has multiple powered USB ports so the Chrome Cast is OK too. I do however now have a Q Acoustics M2 Soundbase which having a subwoofer is pretty chunky, but it’s good enough to deal with streaming Spotify so the old compact HiFi has gone.

The Mrs wants the living room redone from bare walls out and we’ve already found some furniture it will disappear into. She’s now realised that the pictures of wall mounted TVs in the mags don’t reflect the reality of cables – they never show any – but some suitably decorated D shaped ducting has been approved 😊

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Going off topic a bit more (sorry)

I think I found why an SATA device will work for TV recording/playback but a USB flash drive won’t.

The ATA 8 command set has a Set_Stream command that a host can use to request a stream of a certain bit rate from a device, if the command succeeds then the host can just assume it will get that stream without further checking, up to 8 streams can be requested.

No such facility is avaliable on a flash drive so the host must take care of buffering and such like its self. I don’t think TV’s can be bothered 😁

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,729

Good spot Graham. Might explain some of the trouble I had trying to take (non-HD) stuff from my Humax by USB.

--- Robin Williams

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!