Skype4linux

HOME Forums Tech Linux Talk Skype4linux

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Les. 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Coins: 28

About 3 weeks ago, Tamara complained about no video with Skype4linux and demanded I fix it. (she’ll be lucky).

Anyway, by coincidence, Mint at that moment provided an updated version, so I installed it. Oh dear!. Now, as soon as she logged in, the skype “shell” remained, but everything else disappeared. Now no Skype at all. Three other units included my own, all with Mint, worked OK. A web search provided a list of non-working fixes, with the common “working” solution being to go back to the previous version with sound but no video. Terminal :-

sudo apt-get install skypeforlinux=8.11.0.4

And to ensure it does not get updated, add :-

sudo apt-mark hold skypeforlinux.

(In fact I did the 8.11.0.4 backdate, and Tamara blithely applied updates and promptly killed it again, so when I again backdated, I added the “Hold” line.

I see there is now a new update (8.14.0.15 I think) which I thought I should try. How do I “UN-HOLD” the old version, something I should have considered beforehand.

Les

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 733

You unhold it!

sudo apt-mark unhold skypeforlinux.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Coins: 28

Ed, thanks for that. I guessed it would be something like that, in fact “unhold” went thro my mind, but thought better to ask first.

Les

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.