Forumite

Smart meter communications

HOME Forums Tech Other Tech Smart meter communications

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

<p style=”text-align: justify;”>https://www.smartme.co.uk/how-they-work.html#gsc.tab=0</p&gt;
    If you ever wondered how smart meters touch home base then the above may interest you.

Both of my smart meters have been totally dumb for the past 5 days, and I mean dumb, won’t even accept a manually entered top up code.

On the plus side, the last thing the leccy meter said was low balance and that was 6 days ago. The lights are still on 😃

EDF energy don’t seem to give a stuff, they say they have got my payment and they will apply it if and when they can !

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,473

Was it a Smets1 or Smets2 meter Graham? The early ones were notorious for going TU, especially after switching, when the new supplier’s tech does not work with the last supplier’s meter. In fact, I know one friend  whose Smets2 does not work after he switched.

I was with EDF for over 8 years at the former home and happy with them until we gave notice to move and gave a Final Reading on the day we left. First they said, you cannot give notice until 3 weeks (21 working days, stupid, arbitrary period) until we gave 21 wkg days, when they said, should have been 28 days. They took until after we had been in the new place for 3 weeks, before they contacted me and asked for another reading. No chance, I said, we gave it, the house is empty, all switched off and it’s a Housing Association bungalow, which the HA cannot rent out until Lockdown is over.

I was going to take up EDF at the new place, but I inherited a Shell Energy tariff from the last resident, changed it for a cheaper one and dropped £35 a month from the tariff EDF wanted me to have. Goodbye EDF! Shell will give me a SM2 when the current situation allows.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,726

I need to switch suppliers soon, about 30 days. My current tariff is coming to an end and SSE have nothing close to the one I’m currently on with them.

Annoyingly all the good tariffs insist on a smart meter which I don’t want. Needs must if it saves me money though.

Looks like E.ON for me, especially as they do the Warm Home scheme.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,804

I didn’t want a smart meter either, ended up with Igloo.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,726

I didn’t want a smart meter either, ended up with Igloo.

They’re no cheaper for me, they don’t do the Warm Home scheme either which is worth £140.

Thanks though. :good:

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 6,522

My meters are series 2 Bob and only about 8 months old. Looks like the com unit on top of the leccy meter is dead though, no lights at all.

I am on Pay as you go because thats the way the landlord likes it and I don’t mind. The problem at the moment though is that the meters can’t top up automatically and I can’t use the display thingy to enter a code because that can’t connect either.

If the lights go out then I will have to use the couple of buttons on the front of the meter to scroll my way through entering the HUGELY long payment code. But not till then 🙂

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,473

You are having a rough time with EDF Graham, but I believe that might be because you aren’t on a DD of some nature. That’s what the suppliers all like, they want to know there is a regular payment plan in operation: causes them less work. Fortunately I was able to set it all up, choose the best Paperless option and carry on with a monthly DD at a set fixed amount. Then keep checking the website and my payments, to make sure they don’t try to increase it. EDF were always doing that, but I got to the point of using their Chatline to say NO I will not pay that, but I might pay this. If you don’t like it, I will switch to another supplier. They don’t like losing Regulars. I will do that with Shell when and if they use the same tactics.

Just one thing about Shell: if anyone does use them, do not use their Broadband. I have a mate who does and he is stuck with a contract he hates, with crap customer service. Which is a bit surprising, as I have found the Energy CS to be very good. As ever, we can vote with our feet, if the contract penalties allow it!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,799

You are having a rough time with EDF Graham, but I believe that might be because you aren’t on a DD of some nature.

Bob – EDF ( or any other, as far as I know ) don’t do DD’s on their pre-pay, /pay as you go meters. Their only advice, to prevent problems over the Covid19 period, is to top up more than you would normally, to ensure you don’t run out.

That’s chocolate teapot advice, made even worse for Graham as the meter is preventing him from topping up, except by using the buttons on the meter to input a long 20 digit UTRN code – a horrible experience as you scroll through the digits and numbers selecting each one!!

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,810

I have a SSE smart meter bit not been with them for years now, so the meter is all but dumb now.

I’m with a company called Octopus that auto switches you every 12 months. My bill have gone down year on year, so I’m happy.

Each month Octopus ask for a reading. My smart meter may no longer be smart, however the remote box that lives in the house still shows the reading of our gas and electic meters. It may not be smart anymore, bit it is convenient. It live in my bed side draw. When I get the reading email I turn it on and input the reading from my bed.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.