Forumite

So whats the score

HOME Forums Other Stuff So whats the score

• Creator
    Topic
    Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree

I created a private thread ages which I was going to explain has been happening with solicitors, house and a load of crap going on. Well I am just going to keep it brief here as its not exactly why I am posting. In short the solictor has run up a that bigger bill they are demanding the house be sold to pay them. They have robbed me & my nan left, right & center. The problem is they now know hthey ave made a massive cock-up thinking I would just do as they say and ignore all the errors they have made. They have been sending me letters every couple of month hoping I will go quietly and if I dont they will take me to court for a possesion order or something like that. I have asked them to do exactly that 5 times now but they never do. I am guessing there worried.

But let’s forget that for now.

Since August last, I have been waiting for this to be sorted for one soul reason. I wanted to see where I was finacialy and move off land to the water :) That is, buy a narrowboat. Nothing flash, just solid and cosey, arround 50ft. Up untill christmas I was researching everyday, reading websites, buying canal maps when I could and watching all the vlogs on the tube. One partiular was an ex ITV news guy found here. Worth a watch even if your not into narrowboats. Anyhow I dont know what  is coming yet but I need to take the jump in the next couple of year. I was planning for christmas gone but Hey Ho! I’ll get there :) Its this reason why I whent for a 4g modem so I could carry on as usual while onboard.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by RSB.

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Forumite Donations Paypal.me/forumite

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,953

Lee that is what I wanted to do in my late 50’s when both myself and my missus were registered disabled in turn. I was fit enough to handle that at the time and I had a payoff that would have bought a decent boat. We looked like losing the house until the payoff came through and we hated living where we were anyway, so I said why not: peace and quiet, go where we want, do what we want. SWMBO would not hear of it and we struggled on, eventually losing money on the sale of the house and moving here to a rental in Lincs. Of course it will be much easier now, with 4G everywhere: I had not even handled a computer then. But I closed the door on it, even though I occasionally feel that I have ‘missed the boat’ – pun intended!

If you can make it work, and you think you would like the life, go for it. Just remember that it can be cold in winter, surrounded by water that in a bad winter may be ice. Make sure you have a boat that is well insulated.

And remember that cats do not like the water!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree
    Forumite Points: 7,279

No they don’t like water lol :) But cats are good swimmers when needs be :) None the less life jackets for them are not expencive and come with handle so you can easily pull them out. The biggest concern is them going wondering and time contraints in some moring spots on the canal however some GPS colars will sort that. Most boats have central heating now usually powered be diesel but you can also run them of a back burner from the stove/Multifuel burner “Forgot the Name”.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by RSB.

Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree

If you have a look at some of these there gorgeus inside. Obviously ill be looking at the bottom of that page :) https://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

As long as you are prepared to actually give the cat a bath, should it go for a swim. Canals are mostly still water, full of pollutants and weird bacteria. BUT it may be that canals, rivers and ponds are actually healthier than at first thought: they are full of antibiotics! –

https://tinyurl.com/rvzyglc

My old Romany gran had a huge black, homicidal tomcat that was almost feral, used to leave for up to a week and return stinking and filthy, no doubt having fathered more kittens on the way. (Gran would not have him doctored: when dad mentioned it she said “Oi’ll do yours first!”)

She would grab the tom with both hands in gardening gloves and dump him in the sink, scrubbing away. The noise was horrendous, but the cat was smelling much better. It hid under the table afterwards, spitting and yowling, until it remembered that it had not been fed. Same cat was responsible for next door’s dog’s death. Cat was chased up a wall by the dog and just sat there, waiting. Next time the dog came out, Tom jumped on his back, fastened his teeth in the dog’s neck and sank his claws into the dog’s face, ripping half the dog’s face off. Dog was put to sleep, Tom went walk about for another week.

Never wanted to stroke that Tom…

I'm out.

Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree

One thing I’ll have to be carfull with is dog walkers. But you will find cats are a plenty by boat owners as are dogs. Ill post a video later about a chap haveing issues with a dog walker and his cats.

Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree

I’ll be a constanat cruiser to so no council tax :)

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,748

Good luck with your intended future, Lee, if you’re in the ‘self-contained’ mind set, then it offers you wonderful freedom, independence and opportunities. Just be careful life doesn’t become one prolonged pub crawl though – I know our holiday on the canals in the 70’s turned into just that!!

You’re pretty handy around a tool box, have you thought about buying something watertight outside but a bit of a wreck inside and doing the conversion yourself?? I’ve seen some remarkable conversions done on George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces ( three or four of them in the last two Series , 7 and 8).

As regards your legal matter, my only words would be to put it to the Legal Ombudsman, that would add clout to your side of the argument, plus it would give you an independent opinion from someone who knows, that isn’t invested in the case.

They also have some templates for letters you can write to your solicitors, ( without actually involving the Ombudsman ) which might influence their decision on taking things further. Their ‘example complaint letter’ is a good example of this.

Best of luck either way, with both situations.

John

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by JayCeeDee. Reason: Added link
    Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree

The picture of the boat below looks a right dogs dinner on the outside. It was for sale for months and months. In side though it was exactly, and I mean exactly what I wanted. I kept checking every day hoping it was not sold and I still had a chance. I fell in love with this boat. But it sold :(

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by RSB.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

That’s exactly what I had in mind when posting. Is that a 50′ or thereabouts?? What did it go for in the end??

Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree

56′ If I remember correctly. It was up at 23’000 so I suspect it whent for 19 maybe less. I dont want anything over 60′ as I want to do the entire network appart from a few obscure off branches. A 60 footer I would have to put in locks on a skew on a few canals including the ones near me so I dont sink the thing by catching it on the ledge.

Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree

The only thing I was not keen on is that was a cruiser stern. I think I would prefer a traditional stern rather than a semi trad or cruiser.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

56′ If I remember correctly. It was up at 23’000 so I suspect it whent for 19 maybe less. I dont want anything over 60′ as I want to do the entire network appart from a few obscure off branches. A 60 footer I would have to put in locks on a skew on a few canals including the ones near me so I dont sink the thing by catching it on the ledge.

Absolutely – we were young and naiive, so went big!! It was a 60’er and we had problems in some locks, but also some of the docks and ‘turnaround’ points made that a problem too.😕 Reversing was a dark art for the inexperienced!!

Luckily we went round the Staffordshire Ring, on the Staffs and Worcester, Trent and Mersey and Grand Union, iirc., so turning was not so vital!!

Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree

There is actually an app to practice your manouvering skills :) What will they think of next :) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.godotengine.narrowboatsimulator&hl=en_GB

There was an other boat I was looking at, I’ll see if I can find it again, it was very close to me in west yorkshire I believe.

Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree

Nope, that ones gone to.

Participant
    Les.
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 1,714

JayCeeDee, if you used the Trent and Mersey, you will have come past the house I was born in. Barlaston, N.Staffs. I was always playing by “The Cut” as a kid, fell in once at about 4 years, but my brother grabbed my foot and pulled me out. Off home and in the bath.

About one mile north of us was the Lock keeper’s house. A Mr. Moran. Twin daughters a few years older than me.  Pat and Maureen. When I was maybe 8 years, I used to “help” him. He had “company transport”, a small barge for maintenance purposes. No horse, he pulled it himself. I was tasked with holding the tiller, and ensuring he kept a straightish line.  So if any body needs “steering tuition”, don’t ask me.

Two years ago, I visited the old house, asking if I could have a photo taken outside, just over 70 years after the one of my mother, father, sister and an auntie. I was invited in, but declined. I was of course able to fill him in on the history of the place, former owners (we rented it) and where the various boundaries were. My mother used to rent a piece of ground from the nearby Pub, but I suspect as time went on, they lost track of it. Another neighbour to him now seems to have taken ownership.

But I am reminiscing again, time to stop.

Les.

Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree

@bullstuff2 This is the video I was talking about earlier. At first this guy just did not sit right with me but I kept on watching and now I think he his a great watch. More brasic than me but keeps on trucking so to speak and is a proper narrowboater.

@jayceedee This is why I will avoid pub crawls. It’s somewhat heartbreaking but there is a niggling doubt in my head that more happened than is mentioned.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

First video I agree with the guy, the woman should have her dogs on leads, because she obviously had no control over them. I have, until the last 10 years or so, always had dogs, usually GSD’s, but I trained them properly including contact with cats and teaching them to ignore cats altogether.

Second video I think as you do that there is another story behind his words: he avoids looking at the camera and is obviously looking for a way to make the story fit his ideas of what happened. After a kicking like that, with bad head injuries and obvious concussion, he would have no idea about what really happened. I was trained to look for body and facial language and he is either lying a bit or making stuff up. But it was a bad attack and I think if he had given a statement to the police, in such a rural area they would have had some idea of the kind of people who might be responsible. That’s why his story does not hang together.

Don’t blame you for avoiding pub crawls. There were incidents when I was younger, but today these people think nothing of a mob attack from behind. Townies have this idea that in the country it’s all peaceful with no violence, but it is just not true, it’s just that there are much fewer people so less incidents, but the bad buggas are just as bad as townies.

There were 9 of us when I was pub crawling at weekends in 60’s Mansfield, all the pit village young lads used to congregate in Mansfield and it was tribal. Certain villages used to fight each other on sight and the Market Place was always full of the biggest coppers they had. One Saturday night our resident nutter decided to shoulder charge a lad from another village, because he only saw a few lads with him. Around the corner were another dozen or so and it was mayhem. I got a black eye and my new jacket ripped, which turned on my temper. I wound up getting arrested, in pokey for the night with another 20 or so and let out without charge. Next week I found a gf and stopped pub crawling.

I'm out.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

JayCeeDee, if you used the Trent and Mersey, you will have come past the house I was born in. Barlaston, N.Staffs. I was always playing by “The Cut” as a kid

Les, considering your timescale and the fact that this would have been around 1976, we probably did pass by you. If it was late in the afternoon, we would have been terrorising the innocent grazing sheep, by shouting “Mint Sauce” as we passed them by heading for the next pub!!!

One thing that I do remember from that trip was that the whole countryside around that area – except where the canals passed through some of the more industrialised towns – was beautiful, peaceful, ( once we had left, )  and England at it’s very best.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

@jayceedee This is why I will avoid pub crawls. It’s somewhat heartbreaking but there is a niggling doubt in my head that more happened than is mentioned.

Or………………more gets mentioned that you’re in no position to deny – a state I used to be in regularly on some of the BT p*ss ups we went on. I remember one time, we lived opposite Hornsey Fire Station and after a session, I came around to the bus driver shaking me, saying that they had done the whole route twice, there and back, and which one stop was mine!!! I mumbled “Fire Station” and when we got back there, he called me, and saw me off the bus and I headed home!!

Head..(ache)..y days!! And I’m still enough of a hypocrite to moan at my son when he says he’s under the weather after a session!! although he prefers either cocktails or Japanese whisky so he’d skint himself first before doing any permanent damage.

Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree

I am trying to think of a user name from MM forum. He had a narrowboat. He was well renowned for causing arguments and practicaly disagreeing with anyone and everything and he was suspected as person who often had written in to the magazine and this phrase rings a bell “I am not ………” or “I am the real”.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support Forumite

Choose between a one off contribution or a subscription. 

It only Takes a Minute or two.
Lets Go!
close-link