Socket converters (Screwfix)

HOME Forums Home and DIY Electrics Socket converters (Screwfix)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Leccy No.2 gson and I have actually done something useful, says SWMBO. I bought 5x power socket 3 to 2 converters and now have enough power points to plug in whatever I need. Piccies:

Kitchen I                                                                       Lounge right wall

Kitchen II

Backplate                                                                       Faceplate

Quite an easy fix, the only problem was caused by the switch at the LH of Kitchen I, which was a feed to the old Economy 7 boiler (now have GCH). Whoever wired that in (probably Council) had made a dog’s dinner of it. Gson had to redirect the feed through the wall and replace wiring back to source. Behind that switch, the original cowboy had made a hole: our internal walls are like sugar. It had been filled in with lumps of silicon, some holding the back plate and wiring in place! All wiring is out of it now, isolated. We had already fitted a previous one to the lounge left wall, trial run. The next one will be here in the desktop room. These are of course for power points that are not buried in the wall. State of our walls will not allow that.

• This topic was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Bob Williams.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Spread the love
Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,755

I had a double socket go pop last week in the kitchen. It wasca double, but one of the two still work. It’s strange. I just took it off and isolated it, until I swap it for new one.

I’m not sure what happened as all it had plugged in was a Google mini, and that survived the socket pop, which scorched my nice tiles. But cleaned off nice.

It is a place that could often do with a 3rd socket. So I may have a look into that. Probably on a months time, I get round to things at a slow pace. Can’t be finishing the whole house, she won’t have a reason to keep me aroud. Lol.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,326

When I replace a socket now it’s with a USB charger enabled one like this for £11.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,043

Steve, make sure the wiring is OK behind the socket before you go ahead. We had a heck of a job after finding that problem with the switch at the side. Maybe test or get a Sparky to test, your wiring. I’m lucky: got one in the family.

Dare not ask what happened in Belgrade last night. 😣😳

Dave, I considered one of those, but my Surge power lead in here and another in the lounge, have 2 USB sockets each, more than enough.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,121

I guess that living in the lightning hotspot of the UK you need some spike protection!

Not too much risk here, but most of my more costly electronics PLUS broadband are now routed via one or more UPS devices. The advent of fibre has reduced telecomms lightning risk to nearly zero but at one time it was a real hidden risk factor.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,471

I recently fitted one of those two become three units in the kitchen. One socket is used for the kettle and another for the DECT phone charger leaving nowhere to plug in the rice cooker or the slow cooker, both are low power devices. The three way socket looks neat, has a 13 amp fuse and does the job admirably. Happily the wiring was just as it should have been so it only took a few moments to effect the change. It did allow for a test of the UPS I put in the support the DECT master socket. It works fine, but I wonder what it would be like if I put in another for the server and one for the modem. The sound of three or more telling me about a mains fail might be a bit much… unless I can silence the buzzer.

Changing a three gang two way switch was much more challenging as the new switch was very different to the old one, even though they were the same make; the way it had all been wired up was ‘odd’. Copious photographs from the mobile allowed a fair pass at the correct way to install the new item vice the broken one that was as likely to turn something off whenever you wanted to turn something else on. It was a relief when it all came back to life without a hitch when it was powered up again.

I thought about the USB inclusive socket but on balance I will stick with the plug in chargers as there is only one room where mobiles are charged and everything is set up for them. A couple of largely forgotten readers and tablets are not exactly main stream activities. The mobiles get charged in the office, where they are often out of sight, out of mind until needed. Mind you, my wife’s mobile Bluetooth connects to the house DECT system and that has been a huge bonus for her phone use. She can answer a call in any room without dashing to the mobile that is an oxymoron as her reduced mobility makes dashing anywhere unlikely; due to ongoing mobile reception issues, the landline is the preferred option.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Richard.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Richard.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Richard, my gson advised me to load each socket of 3 outlets with an electrical item, then switch on each in turn. Wait 10 minutes and feel the top of the socket box. If it stays at room temp, and nothing trips, it’s fine. I have done this with each conversion and it’s all fine. Gson warned about this because of some of the wiring work that he came across and had to rectify before starting. I have actually loaded all 4 of the sockets simultaneously, left them all loaded and carried out the heat check, nothing burst into flames!

Although in your case, you appear to have the relevant experience and have carried out quite a bit of electrical work in your home, so you may not need this advice.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,755

Richard, I’ve seen a few tech channels strip down the sockets with usb sockets integrated, and alot, have not had good things to say about them. (I’ve Neot seen a positive review), most say terrible build quality, fire hazard. These was from proper ligit outlets, like screfix and B&Q, plus generics. Its kept me away form them.

Bob, last night had been a few weeks in the coming. We have been getting worse game by game. We are suffering losses in the midfield. And their replacements that come in on the summer, just aren’t up to speed. Fabinho looks 2 years to slow, and seems tattically unaware, (see arsenal) and kiata seems to of brought an lower back injury with him, which has slowed his integration.

US rejecting fikir is biting us on the arse now.

The backs mostly fine, as is the front, now our midfield that was brilliant last season, seems to be gone.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,471

Richard, I’ve seen a few tech channels strip down the sockets with usb sockets integrated, and alot, have not had good things to say about them. (I’ve Neot seen a positive review), most say terrible build quality, fire hazard. These was from proper ligit outlets, like screfix and B&Q, plus generics. Its kept me away form them. .

I would like to say I am surprised, but sadly I am not surprised in at least one way. The built in units are not cheap, with the USB function adding more than the cost of regular i.e Manufacturer’s own units, so it is disappointing to read of the bleak assessment of the built ins. Almost all of the consumer market stuff is built down to a price that leaves quality in the waste bin if it ever arrived in anyone’s head in the first place.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,121

I started to go to a Shed Group to see if they were interested in starting up a ‘Makers’ group. Unfortunately if I bring any electrical kit (e.g. solder station, hot-air guns etc) they required each and everyone one of these to be PAT certified even if it was unmodified and carried a CE label. I thought this was a ludicrous requirement as each item was being fed through it own (certified) earth leakage/overload trip switch, but I was told that this was an insurance requirement.

As PAT certification is stupidly expensive, I had to leave the group.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Ed P.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Completely agree with Richard, after my Screwfix problems, all caused by their online service of “Click & collect”*.

The first products they sent contained 2 backplates with a long section broken away from the bodies. As they were in sealed bags and no broken plastic was in the bags, it was an obvious deliberate attempt to cover up an error, which exposed wiring. Probably the result of a harassed, underpaid, overworked warehouse/assembly guy somewhere. Not only that, but the backplates did not fit the faceplates, they were checked by the local store manager and staff, who said ‘…this happens all the time in Click & Collect purchases”. A quick check of part numbers, clearly printed on and in the 2 parts, demonstrated the deficiencies. The mistakes did not stop there: a later order also produced the same result. One broken backplate, 2 unmatched parts. In the end, the enraged store manager gave someone at HQ a real b****cking in front of myself and other customers (I led a short round of applause) and sent the whole lot back, refunded me and filled the order from stock and orders he placed on my behalf from stock not in store. I hoped that he would not be sacked: “I’m 64, hands shake because I have onset of Parkinson’s. I don’t give a **** what they do!”Another round of applause!

*My advice when dealing with any store of this type, is to not use the (unused/unproven) online c&c service, but go to the nearest store. Even a longer trip is worth it. However, if some c&c’s have given good service, I would continue to use them.

Spedley
    Participant
    @spedley
    Forumite Points: 198

When I built my office I put 6 tripple gang sockets in.  They look very similar to your pics (MK sockets)
    They are fused in series through a single 13A fuse in the little plate under the left switch so the can only handle the same power as a single socket.  This isn’t a problem because it is in my office and as you can see, this one has a USB hub, screen and Hive unit plugged into it.  It also means that my office essentially only has the same as 3 double gang sockets so doesn’t risk overloading the house even though I can plug in 18 devices.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Spedley.

i7 4790s / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 980 / 34" UltraWide : i3 4170 / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 770 / 24" Samsung : i3 4130 / 8GB / 500GB Spinner / GTX 1050 / 23" Acer : Q9550 / 8GB / 1TB Spinner / GTX 580 / 22" Acer : i7 720QM / 8GB / 1TB+2TB+500GB Spinners (server) : i5 4570 / 8GB / 60GB SSD / 1TB / GeForce 210 / 22" Dell It's getting warm in here!

Spedley
    Participant
    @spedley
    Forumite Points: 198

Here you can see it when I was making it (nearly 5 years ago now).

It has changed a bit since then …

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Spedley.

i7 4790s / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 980 / 34" UltraWide : i3 4170 / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 770 / 24" Samsung : i3 4130 / 8GB / 500GB Spinner / GTX 1050 / 23" Acer : Q9550 / 8GB / 1TB Spinner / GTX 580 / 22" Acer : i7 720QM / 8GB / 1TB+2TB+500GB Spinners (server) : i5 4570 / 8GB / 60GB SSD / 1TB / GeForce 210 / 22" Dell It's getting warm in here!

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

“Changed a bit” – I would say so Spedley!

My own simple, much-trialed “until I got it right”, set up: –

The NAS and External Hdd, with monkey spanner mechanic (from an old workshop customer)

and kitten Christmas gift from then 6yo granddaughter.

Whole setup: pics above are from Parent’s Golden wedding

and my old Notts. Village church, where they lie with Big Bro since 1988 and ’89.

Printer is to be replaced by an Epson Wireless machine, all singing and dancing.

It will have to be good to replace the 10 yo HP C5380.

Double socket will be last to be replaced with triple.

Yet another task to get around to!

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love