Someone is still using this computer !

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk Someone is still using this computer !

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Wheels-Of-Fire 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Ever since the last update I keep getting the message “someone is still using this PC” when I try to shut down my mothers computer.

There are only two accounts on this PC and I am the only admin so I know what gets installed and nothing has been except the update.

I dont use this PC much so I am usually logging in after my mother has used it but I have watched her close all programs and shut down. No warning about still running programs is displayed. If she logs out before shutting down then all is well but if not I get the message when I try to shut down.

If I log in and go to task manager/users my mothers account shows up with the status “Disconnected”. If I log her out before I shut down then there is no problem but it is annoying.

I raised this with Microsoft but they just keep wittering on about fast user switching despite the fact I told them we fully understand fast user switching and dont use it.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 1,649

Hi Wof

I seem to remember getting this some years ago on a mate’s pooter. I have a vague memory of something in the BIOS, but it is only a vague recollection.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 486

Hi Bob

Thanks for the reply but I think I can be fairly certain that this is a Windows prblem.

There are now 23 other people on the MS help forum with the same issue. Some have gone as far as reinstalling the previous Windows build and that fixes the problem but so far MS is refusing to belive us. In short they are calling us lying idiots .

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Of course I have not followed my own advice on this computer about doing a clean install with the MCT after upgrading from W 8.1 !

The people who installed an earlier build, then restored with a system immage. They got the problem back of course.

The trouble is this is my mums PC and she dosn’t know what she has on it or what she wants to keep.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Now here’s a surprise. Microsoft came back with an answer !

Send cash in used notes to WoF C/O me and I will tell you what it is

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Oh all right then

The W10 update has a new feature. If there is any kind of update avalible when a user logs in and they log out or shutdown before the update completes then the next time ANY user logs in Windows will log in the first user automaticaly to finish the update.

Now send the cash and i will tell you how to stop this 😆

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 480

Now send the cash and i will tell you how to stop this 😆

That’s easy. Format the drive and install Linux 😉

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Oops nearly forgot. Here is the answer I was given.

Click Settings, Accounts, Sign-in Options and scroll down to Privacy. Toggle off the option “Use my sign-in info to…” . Do this for all accounts and the annoying message should be gone.

This works for me but I don’t know what else it may affect. So far so good though

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.