Tech Windows Talk Sometimes, I really hate Windows!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by JayCeeDee 1 month, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 117 times

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Tippon
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 324
    • @tippon
      Forumite Coins: 148

Sitting here on the computer, doing about half a dozen different things at once, when I get an update notification from Windows. As I’m busy, I tell it to go away and remind me later. An hour or so later, I’m still busy pottering away when the dogs whine to go out. I let them out, and come back to a freshly rebooted computer!

Thankfully, Notepad++ and Chrome restored me to where I left off, except the websites I was logged into to sort out my gas bill and my domains have now logged me out, meaning I have to start again, the several emails I had open with the info I need have gone back into the archives, and the handful of other programs I had open have all closed.

Luckily I wasn’t doing anything too complicated, but why the hell does MS think that it has the right to reboot *MY* machine, even after I’ve told it not to?!?

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1363
    • @edps
      Forumite Coins: 270

It was for a very similar reason (but involving CCTV cameras) that I turned off Windows Update. Of course this now requires me to be far more disciplined about updates. For me the old system worked perfectly, but the new one is broken.

Drezha
    Participant
    • Total Posts 312
    • @drezha
      Forumite Coins: 102

If it’s Windows Home, it’s probably in the terms and conditions.

Nowadays if it asks to update, I just do it then and there because it’s more hassle to wait.

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101
      Forumite Coins: 225

Set it update in the night. Think mine to 5am. By default I think it goes to 3am, but being a night owl, I find 5am holds less of a chance than 3am to bug me.

I’ve always thought an option to update when turning off should be an option, on the pop up notification

johnbarry
    Participant
    • Total Posts 184
    • @johnbarry
      Forumite Coins: 145

The second Tuesday of the month or slightly just after is the norm so I manually check, update and carry on as per.

I did have an odd cumulative update last week outside the norm, so it can be a pain.

Cheers
    John

Richard
    Participant
    • Total Posts 679
    • @sawboman
      Forumite Coins: 270

Yes last week’s update did feel like Tuesday brought forward, but then the real Tuesday arrived. It was a big one full of fixes for the sorts of stuff you almost certainly did not want to have roaming free. I usually get an extra, advanced warning of updates arriving via the server and backup options I run. I know to watch out, down tools and head for the tea break while it does its thing. The last time I checked I could postpone a restart for a variable time period, but I prefer to wrap things up and restart anyway. Though today being tired, I did manage to interrupt a back up that was partway through, rather than waiting so it is redoing that now.

PlaneMan
    • Total Posts 694
    • @planeman
      Forumite Coins: 212

Part of the reason I’m hardly ever using Windows, I can do everything else as easy if not easier on Chrome OS or Android and they update when you tell them to.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    • Total Posts 563
    • @jayceedee
      Forumite Coins: 105

Well, that one came along wearing Stormtrooper boots!!

As I’m still on Anniversary Edition because of problems updating to Creators/Fall Creators, I’ve been putting off some of the updates as they fail. I only checked this morning that they were deferred for the next 5/6 days – in actual fact it was turned off. So how did this one just kick its’ way in and start……./restart/restart???!!

I’ve enjoyed some of the changes made by moving up to W10, but some of them do get right up my nose!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 3
JayCeeDee, tina10, Sawboman
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 983, Posts: 12,319, Members: 136
Welcome to our newest member, neucarepamphgesp
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm