Son's birthday.

HOME Forums Home and DIY Tools Son's birthday.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

He is a man who can and does make anything with his hands and is a dedicated tool user: he has 4 sheds (yes, FOUR) one of which is a workshop, I bought that but he actually built the other 3 himself. He has a genius for finding lots of materials for nothing, or from calling in favours and the 3 sheds were built from timber procured in that manner. His big hobby which has now become a consuming passion, is heritage Stationary engines. He organises Shows with a local club, in partnership with a mate who has a vintage Bedford truck and Leyland fire engine. His back yard is always littered with parts or engines awaiting rebuild and when he rebuilds them he makes wheeled mounts for them. The mahoganythat he makes those from, was thrown out by his workplace (an ancient grammar school) after a refit and landed safely on his trailer.

His faithful old B&D Workmate needed replacing and he wanted a powerful Multi tool. These are what I have chosen, what do other DIY/Handymen here think? The Sabrecut I picked because it has lots of attachments and accessories, which others want to charge for. I learned that Bosch and DeWalt can only take their own accessories, which adds £££’s. Battery tools don’t have the power and they all require the purchase of more accessories, plus charger and spare battery. The workbench is simple: he doesn’t need anything more and I learned that B&D workmates now have plastic struts where they were once metal, like my 11 yo Workmate.

Tool:     http://tinyurl.com/y5za8rpc

Bench:     http://tinyurl.com/yyu67qap

I would appreciate your thoughts guys. Might buy one of those multi tools myself. That would have saved me some skinned knuckles and ripped nails over the years!

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Spread the love
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 512

Bob, if you get that oscillating cutter, can we have a report please. I bought a recipro saw a few years ago, but frankly found it pretty useless, but that could be me.

The simple bench looks OK, more like stuff looked a few decades ago. However, it will likely be cheap, thin Chinese steel, and it will rust badly when the paint falls off. But he may maintain it!

You may want to call his attention to a pal of mine, who was the group development engineer when I was with the Doulton group 4 decades ago.     http://www.davidhulse.co.uk

He has built many models of the first industrial steam engines, but more recently a small steam engine he can potter about upon. And he still has a 500 BSA Gold Star to which he has had fitted a starter motor and electronic ignition, in respect for his age!

Les.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,147

Those multi-tools are brilliant – got a cordless Ryobi one (one+ battery sharing range) and a Makita corded one. They are both brilliant. I’m reasonably sure there are cheap adapters to make accessories compatible Bob…..could be wrong but the cheap (just as good) ends from Aldi – and Lidl fit both of mine (one tool needs an adapter – can’t remember which).

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,204

I would also be interested to know what you think of the oscillator tool. Some of them have quite slim bodies which I think might be easier for me to hold single handed with my clapped out paws, that one does look to have a fatter body. I have seen some in real use, not advertising puff and agree they are very good at what they do. A grout picker for removing old grout failing floor grout is one use I can thing of. Trimming under skirting boards and architraves when fitting floor finishes is another.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,306

Les thanks for the link, passed on to my son. He loves old engines, old motors, says he is also quite fond of me because I am ancient! Cheeky bugga! He also used to come up to the garage with me when I was workshop foreman working mostly Classic cars, so he picked up some stuff then. For you and Richard I will report on his use of the tool: son will certainly give it some stick, he has a huge new Lister engine which can only go in his biggest shed. It has been stood in a Lincolnshire barn since the 1960’s and is from the 1940’s, a real heavy rebuild for him but he will get there and he will love doing it. That’s what he likes: takes old engines, rebuilds and shows them, he is in the perfect county as there are loads of Lister and Ruston engines in barns and workshops, old farmers etc pegging out and families wanting rid of what they cannot deal with. When he finishes each engine, it runs perfectly and looks like new. He has researched and sourced original parts, even original paint finishes. He is a perfectionist but the most untidy person I know, with the exception of his son, my No.2 gson. Don’t think I have seen him dressed in anything but jeans since his grandma’s funeral!

The workbench he mostly uses outside unless it is really raining: when I go to his place I always check round the backyard first if he is not out front working on his van. So buying an expensive one is really a waste of money, he really needs a less expensive one every couple of years. Richard, these tools are all quite noisy and the Sabrecut has a 400 watt motor, so I expect that to be noisy and vibrating, heavy gloves needed I think.

BL I have been told that most adapters are rubbish, but the tool I chose can take accessories from many other manufacturers, so all good there.

Thanks for the replies guys! I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers, Bob.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love