Forumite

Speaker Stands

HOME Forums Home and DIY Visual & Audio Speaker Stands

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Speaker Stands 2Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

These arrived yesterday, the Yodel shipment I spoke about in another Topic. They were ordered from vidaXL.co.uk and they were much less expensive than others I saw elsewhere. Today I got down to building and setting them up and discovered why they were cheap: read ‘cheap and nasty’. The stands and parts were very badly packed, there were no instructions apart from an illegible leaflet in several languages, all of which had print so washed – out that it could not be read. The stands consisted of a glass top plate, two tubes with slots to run cables through, two base plates with 4x screw-in rubberised non-slip floor pegs, two threaded bars that screwed into the base plates and two hex nuts to attach the base plate.

The pegs were uneven on one base plate, because thread holes on two of the inserts for the bars, had not been drilled evenly. I had to apply a bodge by glueing a felt pad to one peg.

The slots in the tubes, meant to take speaker cables, were not smoothed over and the edges were jagged. I was careful to avoid scraping the insulation.

If the base plate nut had been secured to the underside of the plate, into glass, it would obviously have cracked or at least scratched it. I found two large flat washers to avoid that.

I made it all work because I just cba to return it and I like to tinker anyway. But my engineers soul was mightily offended.

All in all, faulty manufacture, poorly secured packaging and no instructions. I will never use vidaXL again and I recommend that no one else does. Together with the Yodel episode and incorrect delivery address, it was a perfect example of how to upset and alienate a customer.

Next jobs: 1 – set up another Netgear adapter and connect TV to internet via ethernet. 2 – build the racking which came today and tidy up this spare room/workshop/computer room. SWMBO still wants a bed in here for grandchildren who will never sleep here nowadays. (exasperated sigh!)

Don’t know what I am going to do when it’s all finished. I have to be busy, always have to have something to do.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Keymaster
    Speaker Stands 3RSB
    @bdthree
    Forumite Points: 7,339

Can you send me a link to those speaker stands, please? I will be starting another thread explaining why.

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Forumite Donations Paypal.me/forumite

Participant
    Speaker Stands 4JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,811

I’ve just finished mowing the lawns, which doesn’t sound much really, but it involved me getting an old mower out of retirement, a Qualcast Classic 35S, not a bad mower in its’ day, but it’s been sitting in a shed for about 4 years after it stopped running right.

In between then and now, we’ve had a guy in to do the garden and keep the lawns tidy, but the situation now is he’s locked down and not coming for the foreseeable future.

I checked out the spark and the plug and both seemed OK, so I took the carb off and stripped it down, cleaned it out, reset the jets¬† to basics and now it’s running much better. The foam air filter had disintegrated, so a washing up scourer had the nylon scraped off it and trimmed to size. It’ll let the air in and keep the grass out, that’s all it needs to do for now. The cutters are a a bit intermittent, if left to their own devices, but I’ve over-adjusted the cable so they run all the time. Possible cable stretch or similar, but it’ll do for now, until I see whether it’s worth the investment for some spare parts. It’s a heavy bu**er, so my back’s playing up tonight, so I’ll take some painkillers and sleep well tonight!!

It was fun getting my hands dirty again and being a DellOrto carb reminded me of my old Ducati 250.

Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,988

Can you send me a link to those speaker stands, please? I will be starting another thread explaining why.

They have been taken off the site Lee. I suspect as a result of my message to them with complaints about the packaging, faulty manufacture and delivery. These are closest to the ones I got, but mine had just one tube for each stand.

https://tinyurl.com/yayf2lpj

I suspect they will be just as bad as the ones I have. Anyone who wants the pair I have, can have them. I will put them on local FB tomorrow. Utter crap :negative: – If you search “Speaker Stands” you will see prices in the ¬£hundreds. It’s not a problem for me any longer, I found another way to mount the speakers.

I'm out.

Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,988

JCD; ” It was fun getting my hands dirty again and being a DellOrto carb reminded me of my old Ducati 250.

OH, Yes!

I'm out.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.