Forumite

Stanley Knife Blades Disposal

HOME Forums Home and DIY Other DIY Topics Stanley Knife Blades Disposal

This topic contains 22 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 1 year ago.

• Creator
    Topic

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

I have a stanley knife (years old) when a blade becomes blunt I keep it in the knife.

I have run out of room and have took them out (only 5), I know they are sharp. If I put them in a box and bin the box, someone might get cut.

I have been searching, the majority are for sharps, stanley do one but it’s £12 not worth for a one off.

But I don’t wish to injure, what should I do with them, is a sharps box good enough, however they give the wrong details for contents if I put blades in.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 2 replies - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,303

Sorry Bob, sometimes direct action is the only way to get through to people, though I have to say that ‘our lot’ are generally a fairly good crowd. The lads on the truck do what they can not to miss or mess things up and I have to say that they appear to have some of the best skilled drivers I have seen at work. They never rush where it would be daft to do so and navigate with skill and finesse. Years back it was not the same as our close is quite tucked away and invariably new crews would manage to miss us out – or drive onto a softer area and expose the lack of load bearing capability of water mains, two days later we had a water feature, that no one wanted!

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,965

As I said earlier, my option is to wrap in packing tape, then store in an old treacle tin. At some point when there are enough of them, between Friday and Monday, I take them to the local waste dump and the helpful guys there put them in a special Sharps bin. I usually wait until there is other stuff to dispose of at the dump. So there is no need for me to put them in the black (domestic waste) bin.

As in Ed‘s case, my black bin is usually only 20% full, whilst the recycling bin is always around 70% full. Glass is taken to the Morrison’s car park, which also takes clothes, shoes etc. What amuses me is the division of glass into white, clear, brown and black items. I know someone who works for the company that collects glass from these sites and he says it makes no difference whatsoever: it all goes into the same process. I keep glass in an old cardboard wine box until recycle time, boxes are free from Morrison’s.

Until 15 years ago, I lived in Louth next to a very good neighbour who was a crew chief on the new recycling truck teams at the local council. The Manager decided to recycle glass by crushing it to very fine particles in the truck, which resulted in spillage and the local roads being speckled with tiny bits of glass. The cleanup of all that led to my neighbour taking over as manager and the ex-manager being offered another job, supervising the domestic waste machines. He walked.

Richard, if the waste collection teams here were as good, competent and helpful as the privately employed teams at the waste dump, I could excuse an occasional lapse. But they just seem to go out of their way to be as incompetent and unhelpful as possible. Adding discourteous to that just makes it worse. One day I caught the driver being insulting to a lady of 91. I was joined by several more neighbours in publicly shaming the guy.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Viewing 2 replies - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.