Forumite

Still worth Networking a house?

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Still worth Networking a house?

• Creator
    Topic
    Still worth Networking a house? 2Anonymous

So I got talking to a colleague of mine today. He has embraced a number of things, one of the first to get Sky Q, big Apple fan etc etc.

I mentioned as I’d have the floorboards up in the house it’d be worth putting all the CAT5e cabling throughout the house. He disagreed, saying that wireless is plenty good enough, waste of time cabling it up.

For 90% of things, I’d agree, but for online gaming and servicing a home server, which will have a level of backing up on it (not complete system backups, just the important files). So, is it still worth cabling up? Or is it a waste of time now?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Still worth Networking a house? 3PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,663

In your situation I’d do it.

Get it sorted when the house is going to be a mess, rather than doing it later when it’s all nice.

Participant
    Still worth Networking a house? 4Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,769

It’s not going to cost a huge amount, and you’ve already got the floorboards up, so you may as well.

Participant
    Still worth Networking a house? 5Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,327

My workshop is cabled up, that’s where the router and server live too.

Everything else (including Sky, kodi, 3 phones, 3 PCs / laptops – currently all are on and Sky is downloading catch up, kodi streaming the golf)  is wireless through a £60 Ubiquiti UniFi UAP http://tinyurl.com/jy6jm9f mounted on the top landing ceiling. That is wired back to the workshop with Cat 5.

I’ve done a good dozen now and no complaints. Most are 4 bed+ houses where the ISP router won’t reach everywhere. We do use the £86 “long range” ones in very large houses and one L shaped converted farmhouse needed 2 (they work together seamlessly).

300N has proven fine for me, but there is a £98 Simultaneous Dual-Band 1300AC http://tinyurl.com/gpca6jv and even a £150 Indoor/Outdoor, Simultaneous Dual-Band (1750Mbps AC) http://tinyurl.com/he2yunw

So no, I wouldn’t do any cabling other than 1 from the loft to the router (we go outside), there just is no need.

If you do get a UAP get one with the cloud controller and Broadbandbuyer will set it all up for you. All you do is nail it to the ceiling ?It doesn’t actually need the cloud controller to function. Once it’s set up it’ll hold those setting forever.

EDIT this is my network, published previously but now the homeplugs have gone.

Dave's network

Participant
    Still worth Networking a house? 6Robin Long
    @knightmare007
    Forumite Points: 508

Seems stupid not to given that you’re going to be in their a while and it will certainly be easier now rather than later plus you’ll get better reliability IMO.

Cheers Knight,

RIP Spike09 Your Missed
    If I'm not here, I'm there.

Finally joined Twitter! longr79

Participant
    Still worth Networking a house? 7Spedley
    @spedley
    Forumite Points: 514

For most people I suspect not worth retrofitting but for reliability and speed (1-10Gbps) you need wired.  Like Dave said, just enough cables to get decent placement of routers and access points and perhaps a cable where the ‘office’ is likely to be.

i7 4790s / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 980 / 34" UltraWide : i3 4170 / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 770 / 24" Samsung : i3 4130 / 8GB / 500GB Spinner / GTX 1050 / 23" Acer : Q9550 / 8GB / 1TB Spinner / GTX 580 / 22" Acer : i7 720QM / 8GB / 1TB+2TB+500GB Spinners (server) : i5 4570 / 8GB / 60GB SSD / 1TB / GeForce 210 / 22" Dell It's getting warm in here!

Participant
    Still worth Networking a house? 8blacklion1725
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 3,338

Personally I would get the cables in while it is easy…..just finished wiring the last bits of my house (2 upstairs bedrooms) while running AV cables in (so floors up) – not using these cable yet but cost next to nothing and they are there if I need them – if not then no great loss. I also ran a Cat5e up to the loft to add a wifi Access Point on the upstairs ceiling if I feel like it – point is this stuff isn’t either/or – you can cater for all of it and might as well for minimal cost.

I can vouch for the Ubiquiti kit – have one serving my garden and the range, speed and stability are top drawer. My Wifi (Asus RT-AC87U router) covers the house fine without help……. but wired – especially for streaming – if you can do it then why not?

Participant
    @ricedg

Here’s a live shot from the UAPs controller

Still worth Networking a house? 10

Looks like my daughter’s (1+) watching cat videos again. Desktop-M1699rc7 is the office network, the TP-Link AP spoofs the name of a PC (dunno why). The Kodi has been turned off. You can see where my T420 backed up to the server.

EDIT – BL, streaming is no bigge. 1080P video is about 4.5Mbps.

Participant
    Still worth Networking a house? 11Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,256

Dave makes a good point. The pressures to hard-wire have grown less each year as wifi has become better. However it really depends on the construction of your house. Despite mounting a Wifi access point high in the house, our internal walls are all solid brick. As a result I need wifi boosters everywhere to get a good signal. I find that I continually have to drop back to using the Ethernet cable to form the backbone of the network with a few Ethernet->wifi access points covering black spots. The central wifi access point really only covers a small fraction of the building. When I had SkyQ installed the installer stated it made his life a LOT easier to use the Ethernet system as he wasn’t called back to deal with Sky’s notorious wifi drop outs.

In my situation I would still put in a CAT5 PoE system, and be less concerned about running a cable to the attic. I would however put in points I could use for connecting outside security cameras (e.g. all external door approaches). This does however then give you the problem of where you site everything. My system (Broadband router, Server, Switch, Patch Panel etc,) all sit high up on my garage wall. This is a rat’s nest of cabling and really looks a fugly spider trap that I must hide away one day!

Set-up your laptop as an access point and put it central and high in your house, then scan the signal strengths on the ground floor(s). If you get a significant drop off then you have your answer; you need to cat5 everywhere. It costs little and looks neat if all the wiring is out of sight. It probably does not add much to the value of your property but in my experience it is a useful selling point.

Participant
    @ricedg

Good point about the cameras Ed.

I also have a small switch in the loft which currently only has the UAP plugged in. If I wanted another camera I’d take the cabling upwards hidden behind the downpipe (that’s how it’s hidden at the front of the house).

I know what you mean about a rats nest. Here’s what I did about it.

Still worth Networking a house? 13

I didn’t need to use a patch panel but it was a good excuse to practice some punch down. But it does make the whole thing neater and easier to label. I’ve used it in a different way in that the switch is permanently patched to the panel and devices are patched to that (a trick I learned from work). The last 4 ports on the right are wired into the PoE ports of the DVR.

The small white candy bar is the controller for the UAP. Again not necessary but used for me to practice different scenarios with a second UAP (used for field surveys). Sat on top is the HP microserver that I wrote about recently and my cheapy cheap Synology NAS. The HP is the main server for the house, the Synology is more of a test box for the things I do for businesses.

The cabinet could easily be wall mounted but I have plenty of worktop so it just sits on the end. It’ll cost just over £100 for the cabinet http://tinyurl.com/je649t6 installer bundle (Patch Panel, Cables & PDU) http://tinyurl.com/jveaomv and Krone punch down tool http://tinyurl.com/hnm57sh

Participant
    Still worth Networking a house? 11Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,256

Thanks for the cabinet link – I have book-marked it for a spring-cleaning job one day. Luckily I do not have the incentives I used to have in the US. My ‘den’ was in the basement along with the boiler room and it was infested with black widow spiders (the ones with the red hour-glass on their backs). My den hygiene soon became quite meticulous as putting your hand in a nest of wires could easily become a fraught issue!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.