Forumite

Storage price

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Storage price

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101

Not been watching the price of storage, so out of the loop.

I just come across a 12TB external HDD on Amazon for under £200. It may be cheaper elsewhere, but Jesus Christ that’s cheap. And a lot of data to have in one basket.

WD 12 TB Elements Desktop External Hard Drive – USB 3.0 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VXKF1L4/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_Ffr8Eb2E1CNDE

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,473

Dare not tell my No.2 gson about that Steve: his dad would hate me for it! Gson would look at it as endless game storage.

I could certainly never use that much storage, but on a GB per £ basis, it is definitely cheap.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,810

I have no need for that size either. And I have a CCTV server! 12TB is some side.

My pcs only have 1TB in them, and my Lappys still only have a 100gb ssd. I’ve just not seen the need to upgrade.

Ditched my movie collection, which had only about 800GB worth, years ago.my  photos are online (3 separate places, just in case). As the years went on, I could get by on less and less space.

Ironically my phone has 256GB of space! My lastone 128GB, never got past half full, and it only got that full out of digital lazyness, I’d happily get along with 64gb.

Just got an iPad pro with 128GB I think that was the lowest option.

It would take me a lifetime to fill 12TB, and then I’d have no idea what was on it, or where it was.

Still a great price for thought wasn’t do. But I’d not like that much data save in a single.

Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 3,303

It would be useful for game storage – I’ve a 3TB that I now need to keep an eye on for storage, and that’s with a second 256GB SSD that I’ll move games to and from :wacko: Of course, I don’t need to keep them all downloaded, but even with reasonable broadband, the sizes of some of them mean it’s easier to keep them downloaded! COD was a ~125GB download itself and I bought Star Wars: Fallen Order the other day and that was ~55GB. Don’t want to have to wait 4-5 hours for that to download again if I want to play.

"Everything looks interesting until you do it. Then you find it’s just another job" - Terry Pratchett

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,804

I’ve only ever built two CCTV systems with more storage than that. One was for the Admiralty Interview Board who want to keep 3 years worth of officer interviews, the other a care home with 30+ cameras.

I would still rather use 3 or more disks in a redundant array though.

Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 4,157

That’s tempting as an emergency backup. Have it set up somewhere near the front door, and if there’s a fire or something similar, grab it on the way past. It’s big enough to hold everything too, so you could literally just dump everything on to it and not have to worry.

Obviously you should have other backups too, but I like the idea of grab it and go.

Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 3,303

One was for the Admiralty Interview Board who want to keep 3 years worth of officer interviews,

No luck for that in the RAF for my officer selection interview – had to have my interview within the mess, as the fire alarm went off in the middle of the interview in the selection centre and we had to improvise! :good:

"Everything looks interesting until you do it. Then you find it’s just another job" - Terry Pratchett

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,804

Tippon – no need for that. I use Synology’s C2 backup service as do most of my customers.

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,810

One was for the Admiralty Interview Board who want to keep 3 years worth of officer interviews,

No luck for that in the RAF for my officer selection interview – had to have my interview within the mess, as the fire alarm went off in the middle of the interview in the selection centre and we had to improvise! :good:

I read that as Fire arm went off…had to re read it twice!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.