Straight to Winter, no Autumn!

HOME Forums Weather and Environment Weather In Your Area Straight to Winter, no Autumn!

This topic contains 33 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by PlaneMan 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Today we started with warm, sunny weather, then torrential freezing rain, followed by hailstones, after which snow. Settled into continual freezing rain. Where did Autumn go?

This weather is sweeping all down the East Coast apparently. I have to travel down to dear daughter’s house and feed the Cooking Fat: dd is in Southern Spain somewhere, hope they pack warm clothes in cabin luggage for the return! The Cooking Fat is quite middle aged now and does not venture out of dd’s house in wind or rain, so I will perhaps have a clean up to deal with. She will not use a Litter Tray. I mean the Cooking Fat, not daughter, who was efficiently house trained about 47 years ago.πŸ˜‹πŸ˜—

Come back Autumn, miss you already!

β€œIf you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Spread the love
Viewing 13 replies - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Replies

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,445

Has anyone tried that deman ice anti freeze thst you put in the night before and it stops the frost? I hear it on the radio all the time, never heard any fist hand accounts of it.

I usally use one of my bank cards to scrap it off, untill I remember to replace the ice stapler the kids ultimatly steal.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,930

My car had a very heavy frost on it this morning, it’s in the shade from about 3pm to 9am at this time of year. The front of the house can be freezing cold and the back baking hot.

Absolute opposite here Nolan: back is almost due North facing, kitchen can be as much as 5Β° C lower than front, which as opposite faces almost due South and even low sunlight warms up lounge through the big picture window. If we leave all doors open, that can eventually warm the whole house if sun is bright, even on cold days. Gardeners laying our new back garden Turf, concrete and edging this afternoon, coffee and biscuits supplied at regular intervals kept them sweet and working until almost dark.

Drezha, I have a cover that I cannot use somewhere in my shed. Due to state of health, I cannot get it to go over car and would not be able to remove it. It was made for the Focus I once had, about 6 years ago. The Hyundai iX20 screen heater works so well, takes about 30 seconds for ice to start flowing down the screen, so I don’t need it. If I can find it, would you want it? Just a bit of P&P would do me, I have no use for it now.

Going to freeze hard tonight, clear skies and local forecaster says East Coast is going to be colder than rest of the UK. That’s Keeley Donovan, who is a Lincs lass and appears on BBC Countryfile occasionally.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Bob Williams.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,445

@dount I’ll be getting frozen tonight. Just got on and it’s 11degrees out. And all the cars looked fine. currenlty 03:30hΒ  so we should be good for frost free tomorrow morning. Not that I’ll be moving before 12/1 when I pick my lad up form boots.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Forecast wrong again. Today it was 13Β°C as I drove up to Grimsby Hospital for my CT* scan. Had to wait hours to complete the process, including an hour to finish a foul tasting drink which looked exactly the same dirty yellow colour on its way out later, lol. Cold North wind off the North Sea going home at 5 pm, had not eaten since Breakfast, so called at “The Jug and Bottle”** for an excellent Carvery, fresh Turkey and as much Veg as I could get on the plate. I did it justice!

**http://tinyurl.com/ybh86854

Ever traveling up or down the A16 between Louth and Grimsby? Call here for a great meal, freshly made Pizzas are best in the area according to grandbrats. Carvery is all local meats: chicken, turkey, gammon, roast pork, beef, sausages and 7 different vegetables. Fish & chips also available, full menu of other stuff. Family loves the place and car park always packed.

*Yes, on a Saturday! Apparently they are doing that now to relieve pressure of CT/MRI scans. It was weird walking past all the other clinics and absolutely deserted, not used to seeing that.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 745

Hi Bob,

Re:Β  ” … including an hour to finish a foul tasting drink which looked exactly the same dirty yellow colour on its way out later, lol. …”

Ever thought you might have been a second user?!!!! πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 492

*Yes, on a Saturday! Apparently they are doing that now to relieve pressure of CT/MRI scans. It was weird walking past all the other clinics and absolutely deserted, not used to seeing that.

The John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford has been doing non critical surgery on weekends for a couple of years. Traveling is so much easier & there are loads of spaces in the car parks.

Even better are the clinics held in our local hospital as the 10 miles of A40 to Oxford is stop start after 7.10am & an accident can close the road all day.

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,996

Yes our lot have been running early morning through to the late afternoon/early evening and on Saturdays for quite a while, generally for urgent cases as first choice but then for others to keep the expensive technology running at full occupancy. It was a shame when they changed the postal system to save a few bob, only to find that no one got their appointment letters… When that came to light, (yes I complained loudly) their postal system was rapidly improved.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Richard.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Hi Bob, Re: ” … including an hour to finish a foul tasting drink which looked exactly the same dirty yellow colour on its way out later, lol. …” Ever thought you might have been a second user?!!!! πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Invited that one, didn’t I?😊

I’m fairly sure that it would be sterilised Dwynne, but that would be Recycling taken to extremes!Β πŸ˜†πŸ˜£ Once on Desert training for the Aden Radfan, an officer told us that we could safely drink our own urine. With respect Sir: no, we could not, I told this fresh-faced 20yo, straight from Sandhurst and covered in peeling sunburn. He attempted to argue, until the M.O. intervened and gave him a lengthy medical exposition, proving me correct. I then pointed out that we had experienced an earlier demonstration, given by a possible Special Forces guy, of how to make good water in the desert. This involves a big sheet of industrial polythene, with a small hole in the centre, and a container under the hole. Making an inverted cone-shape in the sand as the sun goes down, place the container under the hole and retire for the night (if not picked for Watch). Next morning, condensation will have deposited a useful amount of clean drinking water in the container.

So, if you are contemplating a desert trip, you know what else to pack besides your usual gear. πŸ˜‹

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 745

Bob – I would take my phone but as someone has already said they get 4G down there – I’d probably get nowt under the transmitter up here – 3G is coming I understand! DaveΒ Β  😁😁

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Dwynne, not long ago I knew exactly how you felt. Under the shadow of the Lincolnshire Wolds, with the mast on the other side of the hills, our village has no coverage at all. Occasionally there would be a bit of 2G at night, but mostly dead. This extends to the village 6 miles down the A157 where my son & daughter live and they have zilch. Then I tried to find an EE Brightbox and JCD kindly sent me his, as he had changed ISP. It was miraculous, now I get 4G!

Unfortunately, during the 3 weeks I was without internet, the Brightbox was unable to work, as it is connected to the router via Ethernet. Interestingly, the loss of internet coincided with a change of battery for my Wileyfox Spark, a genuine item from a Chinese supplier. The battery would not hold charge for more than a day and I thought I had been sold a pup. However, now it’s back on, I get sometimes 2 days without charging. The old battery was kaput: 2 hours if lucky.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,916

Bob, one of the highest power drains on a mobile when it’s not actively being used is searching for a signal. That would explain the new battery power drain.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Thanks Nolan, thought it would be something like that. At least I didn’t fly off the handle and accuse the supplier of selling me a duff battery! New battery has actually made it into a 3rd day today.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,916

No problem Bob.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Viewing 13 replies - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love