Forumite

Teething troubles

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Teething troubles

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

isdarit
    Participant
    @isdarit

Hey folks ,

bit of a puzzle put my new bits together started up got a “no signal” message and monitor blank. Played about a bit to no avail. I have an adapter hdmi to dvi  wondering if that was the problem so installed a old ( real old) gpu in and hey presto it worked. Now wondering if it would be the adapter or setting for on board gpu ( I’d imagine that to not be the case but I’ve bever used onboard gpu before) or could it be the mobo is broken? Any advice please guys  sorry for being a pain’

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,686

The onboard GPU shouldn’t be any different to use than a discrete card. Just plug the monitor in.

What mobo & CPU did you end up getting?

isdarit
    Participant
    @isdarit
    Forumite Points: 173

I3 8100 and gigabyte  z370 Dave.  I’m going order a new hdmi- dvi cable try that as the one I had I have no idea where I got it from  just hoping it’s that. Thanks for your reply

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 4,636

It is very often some obscure button on the monitor that needs to be pushed to select the correct display mode. What does the mobo manual say about display modes?

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 1,182

Sometime ago, and I had a similar problem using an adapter on a mobo DVI to something or vice vice versa – the book with the mobo said that it would not operate with adapters only direct to the screen. Not sure if this is your problems here but might be worth a check.

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

isdarit
    Participant
    @isdarit

Thanks guys going to read the mobo  manual  I’ve ordered the new lead ( just another to tick off)  I will have a play with it later let you know how I get on thanks for your time folks

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

HDMI to DVI should be OK, it’s DVI to VGA that needs a DVI socket capable of anaglogue as well as digital.

isdarit
    Participant
    @isdarit

Thanks Dave ? gonna play with it later on try and get rid of edge /  cortana etc  and check how it runs.  Appreciate  your time gents thanks.

John

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I’m not sure you can get rid of them, there’s no need to either.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Edge – no you are stuck with it for a couple on months until M$ replaces it with the Chrome ram glutton. the worst of Cortana can be avoided by never signing on to it. Most of this is in the security section.

isdarit
    Participant
    @isdarit

Thanks guys, well I’ve  set it up as per my liking. Yes couldn’t get rid of edge but I’ve got it working the way I want.  Windows wouldn’t accept my key but gave me the option to let it know I had a hardware upgrade then no probs. See  come the end of the week when I’ve hopefully sorted the onboard vga out ( with your help like 🙂   ) I will have a little mess with it see how this mp2 thing performs. Seems quick to start but don’t all fresh installs?. Thanks for your advice so for guys

John

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Amazingly it will keep that performance up. Every year there is a major upgrade which is somewhere between the old service packs and a new version of Windows 10. Also SSDs don’t suffer from the same slow downs as HDDs.

Alun Boden
    Participant
    @ajbod
    Forumite Points: 40

I’ve just upgraded 2 computers in the house. Not brand new parts, except the cpu in one.

H110m-s2h, G3930, Z270a prime I7 6700k, when setting up both had problems with onboard

graphics, the z270 kept giving problems with my R9 390x. Both boards sorted by Bios battery

removal. A proper bios reset. It might sound daft but this seems to be a regular thing with more

modern boards nowadays.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Alan, Bios updates are often as a result of the Spectre vulnerability or similar. The keep fixing it only for more holes to appear. Each fix makes your PC run a teensy bit slower. However if you do not like it tough, or choose to use a Raspberry Pi (no predictive branching in CPU)

isdarit
    Participant
    @isdarit

I hope it does keep the speed up Dave. I’ve just added my other ssd’s ( for storage) hopefully my lead will be here tomorrow so I can at least rule that out before I start delving deeper. Alun do you mean battery removal as in cmos reset ( sorry if I’ve misunderstood you)

thanks John

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Lets just hope that Microsoft chooses something other than memory hog Chrome!

link

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.