Forumite

That annoying rattle!!!

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    That annoying rattle!!! 2JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Just came across this cartoon on a Classic Cars page – I’m sure Bob can relate!!

That annoying rattle!!! 3

Brightened up my morning. :good:

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    That annoying rattle!!! 4Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,448

Oh boy, do I relate to that!

Working on a Datsun Laurel, don’t now if you knew them: the unburstable Datsun 6 – cylinder inline engine, 2.4 Litre. Same engine in the first 240Z sports cars. A somewhat floaty ride, but that suited a long-time customer at our garage. Big George was a trucky, then in his early fifties and doing it since Pontius was a pilot, so he loved that ride because it helped with his ‘Trucky’s Back’.

He came into us with such a rattle, (on the car) said it wasn’t loud but he was used to a peaceful ride after his noisy old Foden. So I did the usual: shoved an unwilling apprentice into the boot, motored off. Apprentice climbed out a little shaken, heard nothing. Next I had him lying across the rear floor, then the front, a bit folded up. (It’s a good job we taught and paid them well!) Put on the ramp, had someone inside, rocked it. Stripped out seats and trim, checked every square inch, nothing, replaced them. Even did a Water test with the pressure jet, no leaks. Drove at all speeds, still rattling, worse at below 40 mph. Then I had one of those brainwaves that should not happen: leaned below the car with engine running, heard something from an engine mounting. Supported engine, loosened mountings – out fell a pebble! Connected it back up, drove out: no rattle. Phoned George: “Oh well it’s due a service next month, do a full service now if you can.”

Bonus! I don’t know how we could have honestly charged all that labour, for a rattle.

Had a few like that, but most were found and solved quickly. Mechanics hate rattles!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,203

Working on a Datsun Laurel, don’t now if you knew them

Yes, I certainly do remember them from the late 70’s. I also cast a few envious eyes over the 240Z and 260Z, hoping I could guilt SWMBO into replacing the Stag that I had sold to help purchase our first house. No such luck as practical needs took over.**

Around the same time I was Chairman of the local Dog training Club in Hendon, I was living in East Finchley then. We had quite a few members from Golders Green, who weren’t short of a bob or three. One had the Toyota version ( if not a bit grander ) the Crown Royal. That was a beast – the closest thing ( other than a Mark 10 Jag ) to an American boat on Britain’s roads. But very comfortable and ahead of it’s time in many things. It actually provided the rolling chassis for the start of Lexus evolving from Toyota, aiming for the luxury end of the market.

**I had bought what turned out to be a troublesome MkIV Cortina estate because the other half was pregnant with our son. I replaced it in 1984 with a Cherry hatchback – truly a gem of a little car, that was almost self-financing after the running costs of the Cortina!! That served us well for the first three years of our son, before I upgraded to the Bluebird ( which almost qualified as the Laurel’s replacement, although mine was a hatchback :-) for all the baby gear).

I was about to put in a note to Drezha, but iirc he’s got a Golf which is well suited for a family car.

Participant
    That annoying rattle!!! 6PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,999

I had an annoying squeak the other day in my car.

Sounded like it was from near the passenger front wheel.

As I’d been forced into a large pothole by a lorry in a lane the day before I had it checked out by the garage where I got my tyres.

No damage. :good:

Still the squeak. It wasn’t making the noise all the time but most often at a junction when the engine restarted after switching itself off.

Finally tracked down to the window cleaner bottle I keep in the passenger door pocket. The 2 microfiber cloths that  usually wrap around it to keep it in place had moved just enough to let it squeak against the plastic door pocket at certain vibrations. :wacko:

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by That annoying rattle!!! 7PlaneMan.
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,203

I had one like that with my last car – it turned out to be a socket for the wheel nuts had come off the extending bar and where it was sat on top of the spare wheel, it rattled.

Finally found it, put it back on the bar, wrapped it in a tea-towel and that sorted it!!

Participant
    That annoying rattle!!! 4Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,448

Three Motability leases ago, I returned to Ford and took a Focus. Might as well have top of the range, I thought, so had a Titanium 1.6. That’s as far as I could get on Motability with an Auto. It was quick (when it worked) but the trim was much worse than the basic 1.6 I had in 2001, which is still driving around the Mablethorpe area today. Everything that could go wrong with the ‘Tit’ Focus, did: electric windows, doors, front and rear windscreen wash/wipe. ECU packed up. In fact, the only other Motability car I leased that was worse, was the second: a Vauxhall Astra, which developed too many faults to list. That was preceded by a smashing little Corsa 1.6 auto, which went like the proverbial greasy faeces but had a very hard ride.

The last fault on the Focus was a rear windscreen wash/wipe, which kept blowing fuses. I checked it out myself and advised the workshop foreman to get in an Auto Electrician and check out the rear wiring. Ignoring the Oldphart, he had the car 3 days: dash out, carpets up. Around 11 am I walked in and they were still at it. The manager heard me asking them to take out the rear trim and parcel shelf, made them do it. 15 minutes later, they exposed wiring over a weld, chafing and shorting out. Laid incorrectly in manufacture, of course.

Oldphart 1 – modern ‘technicians’ 0. I had a conversation with the young foreman, to the effect that I am a Motor Engineer for a reason: when I was stumped, I found the knowledge I needed, or called in someone who had the relevant expertise.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.