The Anfield Iron.

HOME Forums Sports Football The Anfield Iron.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by The Duke 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

RIP Tommy Smith. I saw Tommy play several times over the years and almost always wished he wasn’t playing. Especially on this day:

http://tinyurl.com/y6n2bcgb

I was on leave from Germany for this match, enjoyed it apart from the scoreline!

Tommy was the player that every manager wants in his team: could play anywhere and always gave 100%. Tackled like a demon, passes were almost always accurate, thunderbolt of a shot. There are very few players like that nowadays: known as “The Anfield Iron” by Liverpool supporters and always remembered by the older fans, recorded in a song by Roger McGough, poet, writer and lead singer of The Scaffold group. “Thank you very much for the Anfield Iron, thank you very much.”

Born a month after me in April 1945. Great shame that Alzheimers took him, as so many older players heading those old leather balls. I still wince at the memory of heading them, myself.

Steve will like this one: interesting that Larry Lloyd was playing for Liverpool that day. Later of course, he was part of the Forest team that won two European Cups. Ain’t football a Funny Old Game?

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Spread the love
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,162

Bob he was remembered fondly on one of the WHU groups I’m on – can’t share directly as its a closed group but this was a picture that made us all smile of a “50-50” at Upton Park. RIP Tommy Smith.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,583

Only just forind out about this. Not been online propped for about 2 weeks

RIP

That Liverpool team sheet wasn’t a bad one!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love