Forumite

The Care Sector – which way forward from here.

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    The Care Sector – which way forward from here. 2JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

I was having a browse through the Kent and Medway stats for Covid 19 after reading Ed’s post,

If interested search on line for “(Your County) COVID-19 Local Outbreak Control Plan”.

and what struck me was both the number of private care homes and the ratio of private/other.

There are 613 CQC registered adult care homes in Kent and Medway.

The ownership types include:
    • 496 privately owned
    • 104 voluntary/non-for-profit
    • 1 NHS service
    • 12 local authority owned

The type of care homes includes:

• 489 Residential homes (care only)
    • 124 Nursing homes (care home with nursing)

The Government has been saying that they are close to bringing us their thoughts on the ‘Care’ sector. There must be a huge amount of revenue going in to private pockets that could be brought within the Government Sector and help to finance their Care Package.

Now I know that I am very Labour-centric and that sounds like Nationalising the Care Sector, but if Boris & Co are going to invest huge amounts of money in both providing a better standard of service to the Care Sector, whilst at the same time paying increasingly huge amounts for the care of those for whom they are responsible, they should surely be able to do something that reverses those numbers.

Thoughts??

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    The Care Sector – which way forward from here. 3Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,933

Unlike the PfI Sector there are no obscene tax free profits (link). I gather that Covid has resulted in a loss of >25% of their income through deaths, higher ‘covid-secure’ costs, and a public reluctance to sentence granny to death by sticking her in a care home! I suspect a lot of care companies would welcome a government buy-out.

Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,203

I suspect a lot of care companies would welcome a government buy-out.

My thoughts too, and provided standards of care didn’t fall – and there is surely enough focus and impetus to meet that requirement – you could get the Government’s Care Sector Benefits expenditure down by increasing capital expenditure. Now is the best time to borrow to invest in infrastructure, whether that be for housing, roads, water, rail, telecom, green products or whatever. Obama did that quite successfully after the ’08 crash. We should be able to do similar things here, Boris has even announced a few recently, with some road projects.

That PFI story is obscene and the start of the reversal of that trend can’t come soon enough. Hospitals shouldn’t be spending more on debt interest than the cost of a new wing or huge numbers of staff.

Profits should not go out of the country, but should be re-invested in the industry, be that water, electricity or any other. Again I’m not promoting Nationalisation, but there has to be a better way.

Participant
    The Care Sector – which way forward from here. 5Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,448

Another thought: Disabled people with coronavirus represent almost ²/³ of Covid deaths in the UK. Maybe the Benefits Bill is coming down…

https://tinyurl.com/y8dt4j6h

It makes sobering reading. As SWMBO and I are both registered disabled, if we weren’t both so bloody-minded, we might be made anxious. As it is, we just carry on as best we can, giving thanks for a lovely, helpful family.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,203

It makes sobering reading. As SWMBO and I are both registered disabled, if we weren’t both so bloody-minded, we might be made anxious. As it is, we just carry on as best we can, giving thanks for a lovely, helpful family.

That’s good to hear, Bob. Are you posting from the hospital or are you home, still waiting??

Either way, wishing you all the best!!👍👍

Participant
    The Care Sector – which way forward from here. 5Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,448

I’m back mate, came home same day. story in the “unwell” thread.

Thanks for the good wishes, much appreciated.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.