Forumite

The Failure Season and Beware of Tentanus Jabs

HOME Forums Home and DIY Other DIY Topics The Failure Season and Beware of Tentanus Jabs

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

The last few weeks have seen the need to sort out a range of device issues, try to find answers or people to fix them. Our shed is probably time expired, but getting a replacement tailored to the space like the old one was has proved impossible. The made to measure trade now builds ‘garden rooms’. Finding anyone to refurbish the remains of the shed has proved equally challenging,. So a couple of weeks ago muggings stripped off the roof, – warning, if it slips, let go, rusty nails cut hands. Once it was down, I carted it into the garage to do the work. I put in new wood to augment the old and a new covering to try to keep the rain out. Starting a screw with the power drill proved too easy, I briefly fixed my finger and the wood together – not recommended it hurts and hand then leak. The job was then liberally signed in blood, but the job is done and the eight-foot-long three foot wide roof is back in place on top of the weather proofed shed. Getting back on top was another story, but done without further personal injury. Shutting the garage door revealed a new issue, a limit stop had failed. Investigation traced some self the liberated bits, the key one was missing in action. Extracting the stop was clearly not allowed for in the original design and while I hate working overhead and on a raised platform even more, no other option existed. Cue more signature blood marks as the still leaking finger and hand left their marks, but the switch was restored to function, complete with a remade retainer clip.
    Next day afternoon was spent in the hospital minor injuries unit, the finger being cleaned, x-rayed, dressed and having a tetanus jab, my arm went for a sulk.
    The bedroom fan bearings needed oil, sealed for life, does not mean long life! More easily sorted than the shed roof!
    A bedroom light switch promptly failed. I must try to find some spares or a replacement.
    The water softener packed up.
    My car got a double puncture in one tyre, but it was serviced and given an MOT before the mayhem. The tyre has now been repaired. My wife’s car was given its MOT today.
    Two side gates needed new catches and repairs; lesson, new wood can never match the old, however much I re-stain the stuff.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 1,182

Just ain’t been your month has it Rich!!

Lot to be said for the GAMI principle – Get A Man In – if you can find a trustworthy one that is.

Heal soon my  friend ????

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,952

I have been repairing my mum’s wood and cast iron garden bench this week. The back has a cast iron centre with a wooden surround that had rotted away where it bolts to the sides. A bit of a push saw it actually fall off so at least I didn’t have to mess with the rusty bolts. Two of the 5 bench slats also needed replacing.

I managed to salvage the top curved section of the back but the rest was only good for using as templates.

Although the bench was originally oak I could only get a pressure treated pine plank from my local B&Q so I used that. I used a jigsaw to cut out the lower curved section of the back and a circular saw for everything else. A few new nuts, bolts and screws saw everything back in one piece.

I used a hot air gun to strip the wood I kept and then sanded everything down before applying 2 coats of Cuprinol wood stain and preserver.

The old wood and new wood look almost identical even though they are different and there are no blood stains !

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,965

Good grief Richard, you are not supposed to shed blood over DIY!* Hope your wounds get better soon.

*Although I seem to do so, every now and again. I usually turn to SWMBO and say (something like) “Look what you make me give! Now hold this while I hit it/screw it/nail it!”

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

isdarit
    Participant
    @isdarit
    Forumite Points: 173

Crikey ??‍♂️… at least you got some fresh air

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 2,048

I’ve been catching up on a load of small DIY jobs while the number of dogs has been quiet.

Hanging a few pictures on walls, bamboo blinds in the conservatory ** to keep it cooler over the heatwave, re-wiring a ceiling fan in the bedroom taking it out of the lighting loop it had been in and running it directly off a junction box, fitting a 13A socket in the loft as a spur off the ring main, tidying up the wiring in the garage, replacing an LED outdoor security light that had failed ( well the PIR had failed, so I re-wired it as a directly powered floodlight ) which I’ll wire up and use as a garden light now the  nights are closing in.

Next thing in the garage is to board up the big up and over door. It’s not used for access at all now and the track runners and springs just get in the way, and the space isn’t used as such, so I’m putting in a 2 x 4 frame, upvc cladding it but storing the springs and track behind so if someone wants to re-instate it later, they can. The door will be screwed to the frame and waterproofed and insulated.

Although the bench was originally oak I could only get a pressure treated pine plank from my local B&Q so I used that.

I gave up on getting wood from B&Q some time ago – have you got a local wood-yard, or one that delivers to your area?? I’m putting up a couple of floating shelves and got some 3/4″ oak board 7 1/2″ x 28 1/2″ for a tenner a piece. Going to chamfer the front and side edges or route a small rounded edge depending on which is chosen as best by SWMBO.

I’m part through doing the media re-wire, switch is in situ and wired in to TV, Sky and NOW TV boxes, just the drilling and wiring up the telephone and broadband and AP to go.

**If anybody has a conservatory with either a glass or polycarbonate roof  that gets too hot for comfort, we used a space-age insulation and upvc cladding to cover the inside of it and it has worked a treat. For a flat roofed 4m x 3m lean to style conservatory, it cost us £300 for materials and £160 for the guys to install it. They were the guys that installed the windows in the conservatory in the first place and were happy to do it as a trial run for them.

Edit – the odd slip is inevitable and I sliced my finger with a Stanley knife a couple of months ago, but a tetanus shot wasn’t needed as I was current on mine from a dog-bite a year or so ago!!

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 4,636

A couple of years ago I badly pinched my finger trying to close an old garden umbrella. Other than it being painful I ignored it until the following Sunday when it developed a green lump surrounded by inflammation so off to the small injuries department in A&E. At least it gave the nurse a laugh as she filled out the Government ‘ Cause of injury ‘ statistics form verbatim ‘ Bitten by umbrella’.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,303

The ‘GAMI’ principle, get a man in has great appeal, until recently the only one I could get was a lady for  gardening. Getting up and down to pull weeds, trim bushes and the like has been a growing challenge. She can do all  sorts of gardening things in seconds that can take me a bunch of uncomfortable minutes if not longer. I may now have found someone for outdoor tasks, but not until November…

Apparently I am too old to have got onto the current standard for tetanus jabs which is five at monthly intervals. My GP records suggest I have had all sorts of other vaccinations, many 20~30 years before they were introduced, – time travel must be wonderful. I only know I have  had 2 tetanus jabs 27 years apart. So I now have three months of jab to go.

Ed, your story of accident reports reminded me of a school trip to a nuclear power station my wife went on with our eldest daughter many years back. Our daughter managed to trip, fall or have some other small accident in the children’s play centre resulting in a minor injury. Accidents on nuclear premisses have a whole book for the reports not ‘just’ a form. They never did get to see most of the power station.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,965

My middle bro was a very keen gardener, always out in it as were all 3 of us, taught by our dad. One day, many years ago, he was handling some new plants, had a slight puncture in his left pinkie finger and ignored it, as we all do. 3 days later, whole finger and hand swelled up, huge red lump on the pinkie, went to the GP. The Doc lanced it and out popped a mass of tiny wrigglers: something had “fertilised” his finger and used it as a home for its young. When he told Big bro and myself this in the Welfare, Big bro almost fell of his chair at my response: “Well you had 7 kids, some female bug must have thought you were a good home  for its own babies!”

Middle bro is the one now with severe dementia, stuck in a commode, knows no one. Big bro died in 1988. I miss them both, they are both gone in their own way.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.