The value of being careful

HOME Forums Tech Other Tech The value of being careful

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by D-Dan 4 days, 5 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

On a Sunday morning, early, I thought it was a good time to migrate an almost full 500Gb portable drive to a 1TB. This is an NFS drive, with boot systems for 5 raspberry Pis, and more importantly, all of my music, videos, and photos.

Nice easy job, and to make it easier I cleaned the destination first.

Except, it wasn’t. I managed to clean the destination drive, the source drive, and the backup, because I wasn’t paying attention.

Most of the music is recoverable from a separate machine. The videos are gone, but replaceable. The photos on the other hand, are now nowhere, and irreplaceable.

I’ve had better days 🙁

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPis - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Spread the love
Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,266

I tend to unplug devices I’m not working on. Are there not recovery tools for NFS?

Jukebox
    Participant
    @jukebox
    Forumite Points: 470

Have you tried Recuva ? I’ve always found it pretty reliable. Note that if it does find lost files they should be saved to a different drive to prevent overwriting the files you’re trying to recover.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,559

A quick Google shows that specific tools exist but the better ones probably cost money. I’m sure Dan has investigated these so the only reminder I would give would be to emphasise the importance of doing a full bit copy of the disk before trying to recover it. Failed recoveries can really screw things up beyond repair.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,542

I really do like Recuva by the same people who bring us Ccleaner.

You may have to do a deep scan to get everything back and if you do then be prepared for a session with a duplicate remover because it will recover stuff you deleted months or years ago 😁

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Don’t forget this is NFS not NTFS.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Still worth a go if you have no backups 😀

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

An example of duplicates it will find is if you ever use save as instead of save. The old versions will be recovered going back many generations.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

For those who may not know “save” appends changes to the end of an existing but “save as” writes out a whole new file incorporating the changes. The new file will take up less space than the old one with changes added.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,306

For those who may not know “save” appends changes to the end of an existing but “save as” writes out a whole new file incorporating the changes. The new file will take up less space than the old one with changes added.

+1 – If working on a large and/or complex document, I always use ‘Save As’.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,236

The problem is the drives were ext4 formatted, which whilst more fully featured generally than, e.g. NTFS, lacks file recovery options. If you permanently delete a file, it’s pretty much gone.

On a positive, I’ve tracked down copies of the more important photos, I had most of my music collection on my phone, and so copied back, and a good time to trim my video library (as in, start again), so it’s not as much of a disaster as I originally thought.

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPis - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Still worth a go if you have no backups 😀

It’s like saying put petrol in a diesel car as it’s all fuel, it won’t work. Even if you’ve mounted an NFS drive in Windows – which is an arcane art in itself –  as the filing structure is totally different. Recuva has nothing to work with.

Dan, can you make use of the snapshot function of NFS? Not something I’ve played with myself. At this level I chicken out and let Synology do it for me.

My latest NAS allows me to set up a Windows Domain (not of interest to you) but that also means it has the CPU power to use BTRFS which allows pooling, snapshots and checksums (self healing, no bit rot).  It also de-duplicates automatically, mine is running at about 2:1

The Active Backup Suite can deal with just about anything client wise and Hyper Backup (to backup the NAS) can be done to a local USB disk or the Synology C2 Cloud service – 1TB is £70 a year (you can get bigger and smaller plans).

All of my important data is now on a Synology NAS and I can just let it get on with it knowing that of there any glitches it will let me know. This doesn’t mean I’ve stopped using or experimenting with Linux, but having been in your situation more than once I decided that I couldn’t be any more.

EDIT – My mobile devices all have DS Photo installed to automatically backup photos when they see some WiFi (think your own personal Google Photos). Although they’re set up correctly, last week I had warning emails from my NAS that someone claiming to be me was logging in from Switzerland and then Italy. Nothing was blocked as the authorisations were correct but it’s reassuring to know that the NAS is always on the lookout for unusual activity. The email had a link to take me straight to my login, nice.  I could have set that warning up as an SMS via Clickatell too.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 17 hours ago by Dave Rice.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,236

NFS is a basic NFS share on a Raspberry Pi (now a 4b model which, honestly, is awesome for this), so no fancy imaging. What’s gone is gone. I’d forgotten most of my music was also stored on my phone, so nice recovery from there, and I’ve located copies of my most precious photos. Just Videos, which I can simply for the most part re-rip from DVD.

The more troublesome part seems to have been the PIs themselves. They all (apart from one) boot via NFS from the trashed drive, so I’ve been rebuilding the installs to allow each to do what I intend it to do. The one exception boots directly from the external HD (well, it did, it’s now the Pi4 which doesn’t yet support USB boot, so I have /boot on a MicroSD and it hands over to a dedicated partition on the connected drive, with sda2 being the NFS drive)

Nextcloud has been a proper PITA, though. No matter how manny times I rsync it to the drive, I get multiple failures on boot. It’s now set up and working from the MicroSD, so at least migrating means I always have a working setup to fall back on.

Lesson learned.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 5 hours ago by D-Dan.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love