Forumite

Things Not Boeing Their way to The Max

HOME Forums Tech Other Tech Things Not Boeing Their way to The Max

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 4,209

So even with an American pilot then?

I hope certain politicians will be made to eat their words, but that never happens.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,749

It’s all over the net: looks like an Airbus Benefit Year.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 8,776

Its not even just the MAXimum disaster, they also have major problems with the Boeing Dreamliner link. The latest one (hydraulics) could affect the plane’s ability to use brakes during landings/taxiing. A number of BA aircraft are affected by this one but BA say they have it in hand. I don’t think I want to fly on ANY Boeing plane again!

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 4,209

Can’t remember the last Boeing I was on, mind you I only do short haul and not many of them a year. 4 x EasyJet coming up and they’re all Airbus.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 8,776

Definitely looks like the Dreamliner should also be avoided if possible, it has just showered Rome with red-hot shards! link

[edit] Unfortunately it appears that the Rolls Royce Trent engine may have been the cause.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Possible Bird strike? The Trent has apparently been a reliable engine.However…

https://tinyurl.com/y4coozta

We flew back from Budapest Friday in a 757 2000, no problems in the aircraft but 1¾ hours at check in, due to a lack of baggage handlers. An airport employee informed me that they are paid very low wages and are finding better paid jobs elsewhere as soon as they can find them. Security was nonsense, had to explain that the bulge of my Parastomal Hernia was not a bomb. 1½ hour flight departure delay, picked up the car at the Clayton Hotel (recommended btw) in a storm, bigger one over the Pennines. Some bright Highways planner had closed junctions 2 and 3 on the M180 and we had a massive detour around Scunthorpe. Got home about 10pm, ate, left unpacking to Saturday, slept until 10 am.

I will never fly again, it’s Eurostar or Ferry for us next time. Airports are just too much hassle now, especially if one has medical problems. I took a GP letter with a Surgery list of all my medication and issues, still was last to board at Manchester and Budapest thanks to illiterate Security bods.

But the Cruise itself was fantastic, great staff, great food, and they gave us a really enjoyable Anniversary Night. This is what they put in our cabin that night:

Our Indonesian Cabin Steward Seto made these from two bath mats. We will go again, but via road or rail next time. Anyone visiting anywhere in Hungary should note that Euro’s can only be obtained in banks and the rates are ridiculous: only Forints are obtainable from ATM’s.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,303

Bob, I am with you on your feelings about Airports. They are generally grim places run by people who would rather not be there and dedicated to making you feel the same way. Most are shopping centres trying to lift all the cash you have, with uncomfortable seating, cheap plane parking, usually expensive inconvenient transport options and hugely expensive car parking. After several bad experiences such as machines eating boarding passes causing missed flights, – even after I took the machine apart to retrieve the by then torn pass. I vowed – never again. Our last holiday in 2009 was a second cruise from Southampton. It was so much more relaxing, drive there, unload the luggage, switch off the car and you are already on holiday. In our experience, even on large ships the holiday experience was totally immersive. We had many choices of food and activities, including just being as lazy or active as you are capable of being, with minimal queuing and being messed about. The return to port was just as smooth, collect the car, load up the luggage, drive home.

Since then, we have only been going to funerals and hospitals; somehow that is not the same as holidays, I am often reminded.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Had a rueful chuckle at this one Richard:

Since then, we have only been going to funerals and hospitals; somehow that is not the same as holidays, I am often reminded.

Living in what I call a Seniors ghetto and what the landlord once named as Sheltered Housing, we are among a bunch of Oldies who insist on falling from their perches from time to time. After almost 17 years here, we count this as a fairly good year (oh, the irony!) in that we have only said goodbye to just one resident. Ominously, SWMBO and I are now among a dwindling band of residents who have lived here longest.

On another tack: this morning my GP phoned to tell me that my last CT scan was negative in regard to ‘nasties’ but I now have a cyst on one kidney and that requires further investigation. Ah well, what is one more malfunctioning body part, amongst so many?

I need the ability to laugh at myself, it is definitely preferable to the alternative.??

--- Robin Williams

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!