This thread for forumite changes

HOME Forums Website feed back suggestions Forumite News This thread for forumite changes

This topic contains 39 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by RSB 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

I have created this area for me only to post changes to the site. This includes updates, fixes, features and breakages ? I need to keep a clean area with no interuptions so I can keep you upto date and important stuff is not getting piled up-on by you, YES YOU! ?

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Spread the love
Viewing 19 replies - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Replies

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    Forumite Points: 942
    • HTML Tags fixed
    • Search sort of fixed for now.
    • Add navigation buttons above forum.

As you can see some new buttons have appeared above the forum. These are to replace the the drop down buttons from the main menu which take up space on the Mobile with a long scroll and just look poor in general. :negative:

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by RSB.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

A few changes, some have been here for ages but I like to keep a note for my own records.

• Added new menu above forum to eliminate drop down buttons in main menu. Still work to do to achieve end result!
    • Added new bbc news feed to sidebar area. Seems a logical thing to do. UK Only!
    • Also added new private message indicator in the new menu above forum to help mobile users see new message indications more practically.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by RSB.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

Few more changes

• Added BBC RSS feed to right sidebar. This is tabbed to allow different feeds from different sections of the BBC. No pictures :good: I stuck with the BBC because there rules on using RSS feeds are simple but I do have space for a few more tabs/feeds so if forumites want to suggest a couple more let me know.
    • Added some social sharing buttons at the top of the right side bar. These will share the current post/page/topic/forum/planet you are currently on. Please Share! :good:

I am on with the read/unread button!

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    • New user registraion. No longer allowed to send messages for 24 hours after registration.
    • Admin only allowed to send out bulk messages.
    • Smillies removed from below the submit form.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    • Added. Ability to hover over users avatar to show link to private message and friend link.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    • Tip! Not sure if it is widely known but you can mark a topic as favourite or subscribe to it. Should you want to go back to them then do the following. Go to your profile area and click on forums. You can find Favourites, Subscribed, Started and Replied to.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by RSB.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

In an effort to reduce costs I am moving forumite to a new server. This is something I wanted to avoid and only time will tell if the move to a server of lesser power “sort of” will have any effect the speed of the site, I doubt it but we will see. The new serevice I am going with has better automated back-up included where as here I manualy did it for the time being and this is what as give me the nudge.

So, the only problem I can see with the move is a little downtime. A couple of hours at a guess and how ever long it takes the domain to repopulate.

Clear your Cache

Eventualy the dns will catch up over a day or so but incase you can not get on, clear your cache. You will know you are on the new server as it will be obvious with a notice above the red donate box top right.

I cant answer many questions as I have enough to do. I will no doubt start the move later tonight and have it moved before 1 pm tommorow.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

Site has been moved.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    • Removed CHAT from main menu. It is still there and not going anywere and you can find it in the footer or here

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    • Fixed forum image upload after forum move broke it.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    • Software and Security updates are now finished and hopefully everything should be as it was apart from the cat avatars which broke.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    • Removed icons from tech and sport forum as they looked pants.
    • Completed sub forums/categories

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    • Hopefully cured slow submit in forums.
    • Lost pass fixed.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    • Fixed Slow Down Again, Maybe!

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    • I have been trying to move the site all night without luck. Problems here, problems there and now can just stop were it bloody is for the time being. Up until a week ago I was informed via email of any activity on the forums and site but for what ever reason I am not now so mods please keep an eye out for the spammers. Hopefully I’ll have it fixed soon.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    • Still trying to fix issues but no luck so I’ll try again in the middle of the night 🙁

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

Test

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    • Well I think I have sorted my e-mails woes. The server this site is setup on as an issue sending me emails from within the forum when posts are created or replied to amongst other things so I have removed the need for smtp altogether and routed it directly through GMail Suite. Also all email should now get through ok to admin@bdthree.co.uk but do give it a try if you like just to make sure. It is a pricey option at £3.30 per user/email on GMail Suite but as I am using only the one address for forumite it not to bad and it’s a good thing to have. Shame I’ll never use the rest of the stuff that comes with G Suite.

Viewing 19 replies - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘This thread for forumite changes’ is closed to new replies.

Spread the love