Three 4G HomeFi

HOME Forums Tech Other Tech Three 4G HomeFi

This topic contains 55 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by PlaneMan 8 hours, 47 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I mentioned before about providing a whole home BB service using Three’s Huawei E5573bs-322 4G Mobile Wi-Fi, well now I’ve got my hands on the proper HomeFi kit.

It uses a Huawei B311 Wireless Router which has an Ethernet port and the ability to add an external antenna. The firmware covers all the bases and then some, much more than your usual ISP box. It even has a VPN client which I’ve used to join two offices together in a HQ (Draytek) – Branch (Huawei) test scenario. The interface is extremely well laid out and everything is where you would expect it to be.

It says it can deal with 32 WiFi “gadgets” which I take to mean IOT devices. I would be surprised it if could handle that many full fat devices but I can’t see your average home would have any issues. Having an Ethernet socket means you can connect as much as you like via a switch, which is what I’ll be doing as a UAP will be handling the WiFi duties.

I only have a landline because I need BB. Sat nowhere special it’s getting 25 down 20 up. TBH 95% of the time that would do me just fine but with an external patch antenna up high pointing at the Three mast I’ll bet I could put that up to FTTC speeds. I have some customers backing up their Synology servers to mine for free, but with Synology’s new C2 cloud backup only costing $10 a year for 100GB daily backup I think that may change!

At £22 a month for unlimited data, if you have a 4G signal of adequate quality for your needs then this is a serious contender. Be in no doubt, this is not dumbed down consumer fodder, it looks like the future.

Spread the love
Viewing 15 replies - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,559

She was probably parroting a 4K number at 32fps. i.e multiply the resolution bits by around 4, and colour bits by another 4 (8 bpp versus 10 bpp) which would roughly bridge between her number and Dave’s.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,567

Rule of thumb 1080p is about 5meg.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,542

That may well be true for a whole film. I streamed a few short UHD clips last week though and the Windows network meter only averaged 5Mbs.

The clips took a short while to start so I suppose PowerDVD could have buffered most of them first. I didnt start the meter till the clips started playing 🙄

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,266

Of course streaming films with an absolute length (so can be buffered) is different to streaming a never ending feed. It’s also not a constant speed but when reference frames go through. And it’s a different protocol with different processing needs. But apart from that 😀 Virgin’s claims are clearly bollocks.

It will be interesting to see how 5G will change things, but it won’t be quick. Look how long 4G has taken to mature. In 5 years though we may well be getting our BB over the air and that will provide a different challenge in the location of  key pieces of kit, like routers. No longer will it be in the hall or some random ground floor location favoured by the house builders.

Perversely it may well change WiFi distribution in the house for the better as you’ll probably want your router upstairs to get the best signal as 5G penetration is poor for the highest speeds.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,085

The router has gone back to Amazon.

Mum had a call from Virgin offering exactly what they have now for £26  monthly for a year. Half of what they pay now.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Just tested a Huwei E3372 USB dongle in a Draytek 2760N (their entry level £120 job, now superseded by the 2762) with a Three sim.

Performance was as expected, the same as when plugged into my PC. Router sat with an exterior wall between it and the mast, 30 down 20 up. I set up a Branch to HQ IPSec VPN, the typical scenario you would see in a small business. Absolutely flies along.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Vodafone are joining the party. Prices are more than 3 and the cost depends on download speed. Hopefully it’s viable for me, ordered a free SIM to check what the coverage is actually like.

Virgin are trying to jack my bill up again so they can whistle. I tried to contact them yesterday for 3 hours, couldn’t get a response on the chat facility and the music when on hold makes calling a very painful and annoying business. So I’ve complained to them. Had enough, just want shot of them now.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Just found out what I’d always suspected from your posts, you can use a phone sim in a dongle / router. Ofcom got written confirmation from Three.

This brings Smarty into play with their current unlimited offer of £18.75 and a rolling 1 month contract. Looking at the D-Link DWR-953 Wireless AC1200 for son’s house. Already checked my Draytek with a Huawei Unlocked E3372– LTE/4G 150 Mbps USB Dongle.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 1,295

Virgin came knocking at our door the other day – they’ve been cabling up our local villages over the last year. They wanted to know whether I was interested in their service. I told them that if they thought they could leave my front drive in the same state they left the roads and pavements, they had another think coming. 👍👍Sent him off with a flea in his ear.

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 933

Just found out what I’d always suspected from your posts, you can use a phone sim in a dongle / router. Ofcom got written confirmation from Three. This brings Smarty into play with their current unlimited offer of £18.75 and a rolling 1 month contract.

This is what we’ve been using at cadets for the past few month or so.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,567

Vodafone are joining the party. Prices are more than 3 and the cost depends on download speed. Hopefully it’s viable for me, ordered a free SIM to check what the coverage is actually like. Virgin are trying to jack my bill up again so they can whistle. I tried to contact them yesterday for 3 hours, couldn’t get a response on the chat facility and the music when on hold makes calling a very painful and annoying business. So I’ve complained to them. Had enough, just want shot of them now.

Many years ago u was calling bt to move my BB from wanadoo to BT, it took me that long to get hold of BT, when I did I cancelled my phone line and ended up moving everything to talk talk.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Looking at moving the Legion to 4G as their exchange was upgraded to FTTC a year+ ago but still no timescale on the green cabinet being upgraded. There’s plenty of domestic around, including new build estates so no commercial reason not to.

They renewed the BT contract about a year ago as FTTC was looking to be any day, but they couldn’t remember exactly when nor the length of contract. Phoned BT and they couldn’t tell them! They promised to phone back but never did.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Had some time to experiment with the Vodafone SIM today.

Gets 4G all over the house. 20 down and about 10 up with no problems. The best bit is in my preferred location (next to my multi USB charging brick) it gets 45-50 down and 15-20 up. 😃

That’s in my OnePlus 5T.

Just need to get shot of Virgin now.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Result.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Result.

Even more of a result today, shifted some stuff around to make a bit more space next to my USB charging brick and did another test.

That’s over twice as fast down and nearly 7 times as fast up as Virgin give me. 😃

My Instagram

My YouTube

Viewing 15 replies - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love