Forumite

Time for Tasers?

HOME Forums Politics UK Time for Tasers?

This topic contains 75 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by RSB 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Creator
    Topic

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict

After this mornings horrific machete attack on a Police Officer during which it seems he was only able to protect himself from further harm than he suffered by use of his Taser – and while I am entirely against the universal issue of firearms – I have finally concluded that all officers should these days carry Tasers.

I wonder what other peeps’ views are?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

Viewing 15 replies - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Replies

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,926

Not been on for a few days, thought I’d update regarding my PC visit regarding the knife incedent. They never showed up.

So much for them having a person and needing my witness statment for prosecution to stick. Probably to much paper work.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 1,182

Duke – I think you are being a bit cynical here, whilst it is very annoying to be let down especially by a public body there may well be very good reasons why and these may be totally unknown to you.

Perhaps the investigation is taking a longer time than first thought, perhaps what you have to say may not be that relevant at this very time (just my own thoughts) perhaps they are chasing the culprits and many other very good and valid reasons.

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

The Duke
    @sgb101

I wasn’t let down I never wanted to give a statment. They asked me as I was the only witness, and they had the guy in the cells. They approached me, I stupidly said I’d seen the incident and discribed the knife. A wilcos black and blue foldout stanley clone. Man with ginger cropped hair and green tracksuit top. He was also on cctv, as was my car, cupping the knife.

Not cynical at all. It’s what I expect of the local lot.

I don’t care, as they can all dwindle themselves down, making it safer for normal folk.

Also you don’t have to defend evey pc/force and law firm. Sometime they are what they are. Though the blue pc that spoke to me probably shouldn’t of confirmed my ID and the knife off the record. As if I let that slip it would kill any case. Maybe what is why they never bothered to call around.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh

Sorry you feel like that Duke, having done 30 years in the job I can well understand the problems many officers and areas have with trying to do all things to / for all people, nowadays with even less staff they have to do even more with far less. I do speak with  experience but I suspect you do not and perhaps cannot accept a rational explanation. That said from your current attitude I strongly suspect that you would not have made a statement though you agreed to do so initially. Sadly that is the biggest problem the police come across, willing witnesses suddenly don’t want to become involved, not my problem-ism springs to mind,  yet when they need the police – scream blue murder that they didn’t do what was wanted – perhaps they too came across reluctant witnesses?  I do accept that if the officer had made an appointment to take a statement from you, he should at least have had the common courtesy to tell you that he wasn’t able to come and / or arrange another suitable time. But with the demands upon them today, I can understand their position.

Unfortunately from the policing perspective the world is full of good intentions (from both sides) but so many fall on waste ground with time. Perhaps in the end a statement from you wasn’t necessary – he might have pleaded guilty in court on first appearance – lessening problems for all concerned.

As I consider myself to have had contact with the police and the legal profession and still work for the latter I do feel that perhaps I may have a bit more experience here than many and can perhaps see and appreciate problems that many will not have encountered in their working lives.

Regrettably I cannot make much sense of your last paragraph.

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

The Duke
    @sgb101

You just sound completely pompous and up your own arse tbh.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 4,636

Steve, I think you may have lost perspective on this particular matter. It sounds as though the incident really got to you, but I do not think that a good reason to slag-off DwynneHugh, who was only trying to say that there are two sides to every story.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Not at all, what “got to me” is whenever someone says anything even remotely negite, (and this was remotely) about police, law or insurance, he dives to their defence.

Now if it was every now and again, that would be fine. But it’s evey time on evey little issue. Brown nose comes to mind.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 4,636

As an ex marine don’t you have a similar reaction if someone slags your Regiment, and leap to their defence?

I know that my father would get very annoyed about any negative comments wrt his Infantry Regiment, and he was gutted when it disbanded/was absorbed.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Not really. There a issues in all walks of life. Right and wrongs.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,965

I thought long and hard before commenting on this: a dispute between two Forumites whose views and opinions I respect individually.

Steve, your comment was a bit OTT IMO.

However, Dwynne, Steve has a point. He was posting about something that he actually witnessed, and the lack of police reaction to his input with them. That was a scene that Steve actually saw and took part in and neither you nor anyone else can have direct knowledge of. He was also correct about your pro-police and pro-law opinions: The police are not always correct in their actions and it does no good to defend them when the real world experience of others tells another story.

For example: in the past I have been twice arrested and held in custody for events that were absolutely nothing to do with me. In both cases the officers concerned were offered evidence to show that I was an innocent party. In both cases I was held longer than I should have been. Dwynne, you would know more than others that a police cell is an unfriendly place, especially so if you are an innocent person held there against your will by the actions of incompetent policing. These events occurred because I had been convicted and quite rightly, punished for GBH a long time previously: ‘hey, let’s pick up the miscreant we know, shall we?’ I was on leave, a serving sergeant and the Army took a dim view of the actions of those officers.

I have also been in a position to offer photographs I took, of people taking drugs and smashing up playground equipment, Two officers attended after over 2 hours, by which time the guilty parties had scarpered. I offered my evidence, they laughed and drove away.

None of this makes me disrespect the police as a body. I know they have a difficult job that is getting more and more difficult. I have mates who are ex-police and they have derogatory opinions about the officers I describe. What I do feel is that nothing is cut and dried, nothing is black and white. The great majority of the British police are hard working and responsible. It is the minority who let down all those responsible officers, all of whom put their lives on the line every day.

That’s my two penn’orth. Llike it or lump it.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh

I have no objection to anyone ‘slagging off’ the police however to do so with any conviction requires a little more in-depth knowledge than Duke (Steve) appears to have. Yes I accept that he appears to have been let down by the police but I would also have to say if his real attitude towards them is anything akin to his posting, then perhaps he has only himself to blame? TBH I think his attitude stinks and based on years of experience I think that the bobby who should have come to see him also understood that and simply didn’t bother.

I find it really difficult that as a Moderator of this forum, he appears at times, unable to moderate himself.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,965

Oh dear Dwynne, stop digging please. You have no idea what Steve’s attitude to the police was, neither have I: we weren’t there!

These are some of his comments in posts:

…thought I’d update regarding my PC visit regarding the knife incident. They never showed up.

I wasn’t let down I never wanted to give a statement. They asked me as I was the only witness, and they had the guy in the cells. They approached me, I stupidly said I’d seen the incident and described the knife. A wilcos black and blue foldout stanley clone. Man with ginger cropped hair and green tracksuit top. He was also on cctv, as was my car, cupping the knife.

He offered evidence as the only witness, the officers did not accept (by not getting back to him.) How will this case proceed if they don’t use the evidence of the only witness, when: “they had the guy in the cells…. ” and they had a very good description of the alleged offender, including video, and his weapon?

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

The Duke
    @sgb101

There you go again, with your “in depth” knowledge”. Probably way past its sell buy date anyhow.

It’s the like of this attitude why people are put off by the police.

I actully seen the Bobby this morning as I was opening. I was brushing the front and he walked around me (side stepped) and he didn’t even let on. I had a little chuckle inside.

Total waste of time the lot of them.

As for the mod comment, I deal with people on their level. If they act like a pompous prick, they will be treated as such.

I keep disagreements within it thread and don’t carry them over to the next. Life is to short.

Also I’m in a good mood today. So all have fun while the sun is here.

Edit–bob I see you jumped in, I wouldn’t bother.

I also had the incedent on my dash cam. Which is very high quality. I say had as by now it will of been over written. Their loss.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Oh BTW, I treak every one with the upmost of respect, even police officers. You can ask Dave, in a sofly spoke and well mannered person. So when I spoke to said police man, I was very nice.

I doubt an attitude to put an officer off anyhow. If so, they are in the wrong job.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    Forumite Points: 1,762

Thread is closed now but not deleated.

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Viewing 15 replies - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Time for Tasers?’ is closed to new replies.