To Do or not To Do

HOME Forums Other Stuff To Do or not To Do

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by johnbarry 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

To Do or not To Do as the case may be.

After seeing the suggestion in dwynnehugh thread I thought I
    Would try it out.

I downloaded EaseUS Todo Backup Free Setup 10.6 and installed it. A popup came up where you select Free or Buy.

It wouldn’t letme select either so I continued. After installation it said I have 30 days trial.

Twice I tried to install the free and I had the same as above.

I went on EaseUS chat and explained the above, chat said am I using the Free
    or trial version, cut it short I was sent a link to download the Free.

This I downloaded, it has the same file name EaseUS Todo Backup Free Setup as the file I already have, and I installed it.

The popup Select the right version for you came up but I can’t select the Free or Buy.

After installation I get this

I can’t enter a licence, so I can’t activate now. I select later then get the popup you have 30 days trial.

Anyone got a link for the Free version, where you can select the version you want (free)

Cheers
    John

Spread the love
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,326

You’re probably on the US site.

Try downloading it from https://uk.easeus.com/backup-software/personal.html

It will be the same file name but it’s different.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by Dave Rice.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 1,375

Thanks Dave I dl it / installed it and it was the same result.

I went on chat, after I sent the screen shots I was told I am using the free version and 30 day trial is not. Yet it said 30 day trial, I was assured it was not the trial and I can use it, even after 30 days?

I am weary as it did say 30 day trial and the version I have says Buy or activate and to activate I need a key code, I need to buy that?

Below is the last screen shot I sent and I was told this is the free and I can use it. It still says Upgrade or activate, I select activate and it asks for the key code (buy) not sure if I want to use it as after 30 days it may fail and I lose backups created.

Cheers
    John

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I’m trying to remember how it worked (I paid for mine in the end). It may be it always nags you.

One thing is that you will not lose your backups.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Dave I hope I don’t lose any. If after 30 days I do lose at least I have my True Image backups to fall back on. If it doesn’t explode after 30 days I might continue and scrap True Image.

Cheers
    John

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

It won’t die after 30 days. I also used it on my now retired MS server and that stayed as the free version.

If I remember next time I’m in the workshop I’ll fire it up again and have a look.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Nice one Dave

Cheers
    John

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

I am now using ToDo

What’s the difference in Disk/Partition Backup & System Backup

Cheers
    John

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

The full explanation is here https://kb.easeus.com/art.php?id=10005 but it’s a bit “Chinglish” and techie at the same time 🙄

If your aim is to restore your entire system then you want System Backup.

Say you have a second HDD (or even a separate partition on the system disk) for storing data or virtual drives for virtual machines, you may want to back that up at a different frequency to the entire system, so you’d choose Disk/Partition backup for that job.

I do something similar. I have 3 jobs scheduled.

• Weekly incremental System Backup preserving a rolling 8 images (so 2 months).
    • Daily incremental File Backup of my libraries and desktop preserving a rolling 7 days of images (so a week).
    • Daily incremental Outlook Backup preserving a rolling 31 days of images.

So say my laptop died right now, I’d be able to restore the system to where it was on Saturday at 9am and the files in my libraries up to 7 pm tonight. Any new programs / apps I’d installed since Saturday would need to be reinstalled.

Outlook is dealt with up separately as it’s used on multiple systems and is synced back (via IMAP) to the cloud based MS Exchange server. My backup is to safeguard against accidental deletion of a message or calendar entry on any of the systems.

I back up to a Synology NAS and have ToDo create the drive mappings as it needs them. That means that if any Ransomware gets on my system it can’t encrypt my backups as Windows has no permanent links to them. You don’t need an expensive NAS to achieve this, you can do the same with a router that can attach USB drives.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Dave I will read the explanation, Following your expla it’ll be trial and error for me,

Nice one

Cheers
    John

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love