To good to be true?

HOME Forums Shopping Clothes & Fashion To good to be true?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by PlaneMan 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

I’ve been looking online for a pair of shoes I really like and found them here: http://www.fleetgallery.co.uk/

£19 for the shoes and £14 shipping. The website looks well dodgy. Am my being an idiot trying to convince myself that maybe it will be okay and the shoes will arrive from somewhere in China eventually?

Spread the love
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Mark Turner
    Participant
    @turner74
    Forumite Points: 224

At the bottom it says powered by clarks outlet online but the hyperlink leads back to the same page are the same shoes not on https://www.clarksoutlet.co.uk which is Clarks. Also there is a £150 difference in the free shipping

Cheers Mark

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,935

tadka, if you haven’t tried these, take a look:

http://tinyurl.com/yccm5yhs

I get all my shoes there now and they are a really good company. No hassle returns, quality stuff throughout the Menswear range. I get my High Waist trousers there too and they always fit.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,448

Broke my toe 4 weeks ago, so last week I bought myself a pair of sketchers. OMG I dont know why I haven’t done this before. They are like slipper, but for outside.

Well probably as they was always geared towards kids, then gym, then girls, but now they have some mice mens stuff that will go with jeans.

Mine look a bit like retro 70s blue suede Adidas trainers. But super light and comfy.

I don’t know if it’s coincidence or the shoes, but over the last week, my toe has eased about 70% of what it was the first 4 weeks.

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka
    Forumite Points: 600

I buy those shoes for work. I work as a postman and Royal Mail shoes and my feet don’t get along. I’ve been through countless pairs of shoes over the recent years and most last me 3-4 weeks. The Clarks shoes I’m after last me about 6 months. They must be made from some very good quality rubbers. But they have been discontinued. Now and then my size comes up on eBay or Amazon from old stock I guess. Some shops still stock them but the prices are crazy. And this dodgy looking shop has my size in Washed Navy colour for just £19, they look  really good and I’d love a pair for my personal use but I doubt they actually sell anything. I’ll wait and see if after a while that shop is going to disappear.

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka
    Forumite Points: 600

Just out of curiosity, if they are dodgy and I buy that pair on my credit card and they never arrive would I be able to get my money back?

The Duke
    @sgb101

Visa only cover purchases over 100£.

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 786

Have to agree with Bob.   I’ve been using Clifford James and Samuel Windsor for years, especially for formal shoes because they do half sizes.    Samuel Windsor’s formal (all leather shoes) shoes at around £40 to £60 a pair are not the quality of Loake’s or Church’s but are not that far off and are a third to a quarter of the price.    I have about eight pairs currently in a mix of colours, brogues. half brogues and oxfords; and can attest to the quality of them.

While we are on attire I also rate Slaters highly for a bargain.  Their own brand Carlton Gray suits and blazers in particular are truly peanuts and far, far, far better quality than one might expect for the price.    If you need to wear a suit or at least a blazer but also have to work at times in challenging (i.e. very dirty) environments those are the way to go.   If one gets ruined it not such a blow as if you lose a £300 to £400 job.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,935

I bought a quality jacket and contrasting trousers quite cheaply at a House of Fraser sale in 2013. They are still in good nick, although I have not worn them more than about 20 times since then, mainly on holidays. I bought a very nice blazer and cream trousers from Greenwoods in about 1996 and the blazer is still good as new, but whatever possessed me to team it with cream pants is not one of my better decisions. If I want a specific clothing item, I wait for Sales in the ‘better’ shops. Nowadays I don’t think that I will need any more than I have already, which is the result of buying quality stuff.

I bought one pair of brown shoes and one of black, from a classy Grimsby shoe shop maybe 6 or 7 years ago. There was a fitting service and the owner had to wait for the correct size of the brown shoes to come from Germany, as I have size 7’s but have very broad feet. Both pairs cost me a total of around £175, but fit like a glove and show very little signs of wear. For everyday wear, I have a battered pair of 8 yo trainers or the cheapest, best fitting (= most comfy) Shoezone slip-ons, or the £35 Clifford James Walkers I bought last year, for muddy stuff. I love shoes, probably passed that to our daughter, who has literally dozens of them. SIL is long-suffering, but he buys most of his gear from Charity shops.

I used to buy a lot from Greenwoods, but the quality deteriorated until they went bust. I have a very warm, fur lined coat that I bought from Greenwoods maybe 8 years ago. The monkey-metal zip came apart last year, so I had it replaced by a brass zip at a local seamstress shop: still working, better than original.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

The Duke
    @sgb101

<p style=”text-align: justify;”>Not heard the name greenwood’s for years. Growing up my next door neighbour, she was a manager in one. Which was probably the closest to a profession person I knew growing up.</p>
    Most women where mothers, or dinner ladies, and the men did hands on work.

When it comes to shoes, trainers and walking boots, I have enough pairs to last me a lifetime.

I did just by a pair of sketchers, as I broke my toe in November, all my footware didn’t work with my bad toe. Finally the sketchers didn’t seem to re break it evey tien I had to go out. Its feeling OK atm. Though I had a set back pefire Xmas, as I thought it was far better than it was and took the kids and dogs to delemere forest. Ten mins with my boots on, I knew something was wrong. 3 hours later, I was paying for it.

The deep frezze spray I forums was the only thing that stopped it hurting. Though I was using about a ¼ of a bottle a day. Instead of the 4 sprays a day it says.

I do think now sketchers have male looking trainers, they will be my go to in the future. I’ve had this pair on almost every day frovabout 50 days now, probably a years worth of wearing for me, and they still look like new, super light, and comfy.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,394

If you would like a pair of trainers with a name that you will at least recognise, at a reasonable price, you can do a lot worse than Lonsdale. I am on my second pair of Camden’s, they have a full leather upper and dam near indestructable synthetic sole. About £24 from Sports Direct and others.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,917

I wear Globe skate shoes mostly, very tough and can be had for around £40 on a good day. I have some 5 10 shoes that are very tough and have superb grip but they are big and a bit awkward to drive in. They were very useful in the snow last March though.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love