Forumite

Too Good To Miss

HOME Forums Politics UK Too Good To Miss

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Would anyone like to win a copy of the European Communities (Withdrawal Agreement) Act 2020, personally signed by Boris Johnson ?

All you have to do is contribute £5, £10 or £20 to the conservative party and you will be entered into a draw that could see you as the proud new owner of the document 😀

And no I am not making it up, the details are in the latest Conservative party mail shot.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Richard
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 6,517

I originally voted to join the EEC, but I was never expecting what then happened, a right unholy mess, which ever side of the fence you sit on. No, I do not want another reminder of how things ended up.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,578

I was only 8 years old in 1975 but I remember being terrified that we might  be leaving Europe. All the TV coverage and my teachers had made it seem that we were somehow going to build a wall in the English channel. My Dad reassured me that it was only a trade agreement we were voting on and, although he was going to vote for it, it wouldn’t be the end of our relationship with Europe if we voted against it.

What he didn’t know at the time was that he was actually voting to join the EU super state.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,953

I was still in Germany when the vote was taken, but posted back to the UK in time to vote against it. In BAOR we were told that we could not vote, but the uproar changed their minds. I voted NO after several of my German kameraden advised me not to vote YES. Their reasoning was purely financial: the UK would be assisting Germany to support the southern Mediterranean states, which they saw as “arbeite schüchtern” – work-shy freeloaders.

What really worried me was the EU adoption of the Euro in 1999. I think it was Nigel Lawson who kept us out of that, not sure. I do remember going to Brugge after the Euro began, with a packet of Euros. Only to find that the hotel was not using them yet and would prefer GBP. The calculator came out and I corrected the receptionist. Then swapped the Euros at a bank and made a little profit! Enjoyed that holiday, went back a couple of times. Belgian food and drink is great stuff and the people are fine. Or at least, they were until recent history….

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support Forumite

Choose between a one off contribution or a subscription. 

It only Takes a Minute or two.
Lets Go!
close-link