Forumite

Toshiba TV

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry

Dad has purchased a Toshiba TV 43U6663DB, God only knows why, he doesn’t have internet.

It’s said to record programs to USB stick (at this stage ?) he has a freeview recorder box.

Problem

He uses scart from the box to the TV, when he turns the freeview on it overides the TV station, so he can watch freeview no probs (no messing with remote buttons).

It has HDMI, Forget scart and replace with the HDMI cable, when he turns the freeview on it doesn’t auto overide the TV station (like with scart).

I think he can select HDMI with the remote, but he wants it to auto overide.

Any ideas why this is happening, or could it be Dad (79 years young)

Cheers
    John

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 4,103

I’m not 100% sure, but I think that’s what CEC is for. It should be in the settings somewhere, and lets the TV switch source automatically. It may be listed as HDMI CEC.

Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,592

Thanks Tippon I will have a look for CEC next time I go round.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry

I enabled CEC but it seems it doesn’t want tknow.

It seems to auto select the scart no problems, yet I would have thought HDMI would hold power over scart?

The problem with scart I think he’s missing out on programs in HD.

You can change the source to HDMI1 but that’s confusing for him, then there after he has to change back to TV.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,550

Buy him an HDMI Freeview box for Xmas/Birthday ~£25

Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry

Ed the freeview he has, is HDMI as in the first post.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    Richard
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 6,522

Because all TVs have their own ways of doing things, I use the set top box most of the time and simply slave the TV to the box, It does all the tuning, recording and if needed pausing of anything. Even the internet on demand aspect is easier is easier using the box over the TV, though not showing photographs from the server when the TV is far better. So on a personal point, I wonder why your father is playing mix and match so much and wonder if he is making life harder. Having said that, we can all be slaves to habit and habits can be hard to break free from.

I should say that not all TVs appear happy to take instructions from other devices to turn on or turn off when wanted. Some of them need you to work hard and jump through hoops to get it working. It took me about 12 months to sort out what I wanted, though I admit to spending almost no time at all dealing with the issue.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,550

Sorry John, I misunderstood. I guess I’m just not sure why he uses a Freeview box, the TV comes with Freeview Play which appears to do most everything a Freeview box will do.

Participant
    Richard
    @sawboman

Well that is two diametrically opposed views!

Participant
    Alan Wood
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Points: 744

To return to the original question, just a bit of background:-

A Scart lead (if fully wired) is designed to switch the TV on automatically.

Wiki says:-

SCART allows a connected device to bring it in and out of standby mode or to switch it to the AV channel. A VCR or other playback device will optimally power on when a cassette is inserted, power on the TV (or switch it to video mode) and then start playing immediately if the cassette’s write protection tab is absent. When turned off, the VCR will ask the TV to power off, which it will do if it had been powered on by the VCR’s request and if it remained in video mode. Only some TVs will do this—most only implement automatic switching to and from the SCART input.

The same signal can be used by a satellite receiver or set-top box to signal a VCR that it is supposed to start and stop recording (“pin 8 recording”). This configuration usually requires that the VCR be farther from the TV than the source, so the signal usually travels “down”.

Not sure about HDMI but it does do this if set up and the TV circuitry is designed to detect a Signal on HDMI input.

Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry

I have had many rows with him, it’s so simple. he keeps saying he is old, I say that’s no excuse, but I am old he says.

I think he thinks John’ll sort it and he doesn’t need to bother.

Ed he uses a Freeview box, as the TV only has 1 tuner, he can’t watch one record another
    nor record 2 (at the same time) while he is out. After I setup to record on TV he done away with the Freeview Recorder.
    When he tried to turn over from BBC1 (he was recording) to ITV it said this action can’t be performed,
    while recording. So he went back to the freeview recorder.

I agree with what you say Richard.

So Alan your saying it’s down to scart not the TV, if scart (old stuff) can do it then so should new stuff (HDMI) so new tech isn’t as good as old tech.

Myself I don’t think HD is any better.

Anyway I showed him today, how to source to HDMI (so simple)

Have a guess what he said

I don’t think you would ever guess, so here goes

“The picure has gone too dark, I will stick with scart”

Originally useing scart he thought he was watching HD, if only I had kept my mouth shut.

He seems happy now, I said to mom, I will give him a week, if he remains happy
    I will give him my bill.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,463

John, if you could get dad to buy something like this and set it up for him, it might be the answer:

http://tinyurl.com/yaanr67w

70 Freeview channels including HD, record 2 channels at once, BBC iPlayer, Youtube. 12 months Warranty. Record straight from the Freeview TV.

I know from my own history with my parents, how they struggle to understand Tech that we take for granted. My dad passed in 1988, but the VCR and remote for TV even then, completely flummoxed him. He used to get really annoyed with me and ask me to slow down: “I’m a lot older than you, you know!” My mam just would not touch the VCR.

Good luck!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,615

I think the vcr confused anyone over 30. My nan was terrified of hers, my mum always asked me when she wanted somthing pre set recorded.

It’s the same now with the pc or even smart phones. Unless your into tech, they just scare you. And the older you are the more it seems to terrify them.

My FiL not that old, 60ish, just can’t grasp computers or phones, he isn’t a daft guy either, it’s just something he never needed. You’d think by the way he used it, there was a chance that his PC controlled nukes.

My mil is probably more dangerous as she is sort of tech inclined, in the way she likes the idea and will give it a go, but whilst never retaining any information you give her.no matter the amount of time you walk her though something. She is a teacher, so not daft either. She can do Word and print (as long as someone else set it up. Why she is more dangerous is she tries to do things, so her laptop is always full of crap. Tool bars, malware, just general crap, slowing everything down.

When ever I’m at theirs and need a pc, I spend the first hour, deleting stuff, updating everything, and running tests. Two weeks later, it’s the same. She was much better on Linux (mint), that I set up for them. The PC was always fine. Then she needed word!

I don’t think I’ll ever be that way when I get old, as like you guys her, we all are interested in tech, and as much as we moan about change (that’s our job), we equally love living in the cutting edge. The two should not exist together, but with us geeks it does.

Also by the time I’m 70, you’ll just tell the pc what you want and it will happen.

Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry

Cheers Bob

That’s the one he has, the problem was getting it to talk to the TV direct without pressing loads of buttons.

As for the other you suggest, he has that on the TV as well, he needs internet. I hope one day to get them (inluding mom) to get internet. It’ll save me ordering for them. I do Amazon – ebay – Argos and even acardo for them, my sister (on her mobile phone) does some Amazon – Iceland – Tesco for them.

I tell them tiil I am blue in the face life is tech today.

Duke I hope I reach the time, you’ll just tell the pc what you want and it will happen.

At one time they never wanted a mobile, now they’re like kids, they never wanted freeview recorders HD TV’s now they have bigger & better than me. I wanted them to go Sky TV.

I want them fully into tech cause it’ll save me.

I told him it has headphone socket on the TV, I had to get him some off Amazon, something Dave Rice once showed me with Amazon, at least I get it delivered to them. I haven’t got to take it when it arrives, same with Argos now.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    Richard
    @sawboman

Rule 1, everyone is different and there is no easy way predict how they will respond to changes. Even quite elderly folk will adapt to new items given the right support. The VCR did not phase father though he did find the digital era less easy to cope with, due to the frequent need to retune the !”£$%$%^&*()+ TV every few days. He wanted to watch sports so had a SKY box for sometime and Mum had her TV set in the kitchen, I need not say more. When the Sky box did something wrong he was less than happy, turn it off wait five; then turn it on again did not always work so every 6 months or so he resorted to the Sky hindrance desk where they did what he felt was their slowest effort to restore things. He was annoyed when the VCR no longer worked out the date correctly and everything had to be completely entered ‘long hand’. The machine’s date function only went up to a point in time before failing, it was probably well into the machine’s double digit age by then . He still used the thing in spite of its issues until well into his late 80s.

When he went into a home for the last few years he was well into his 90s having neglected himself after Mother died and he had a few falls, mother was 93 when she went. In the home he continued to use his PC and printer though without a phone line he made use of a mobile, though for voice only. Text was stymied by eyesight and the functioning of his hands and hand eye coordination.

Rule 2, people develop their own way to cope with changes, accepting what they feel comfortable using and blocking out things which confuse, feel wrong or do not deliver a value to their life.

Rule 3, the longer you survive the more personal rules you develop and the harder those rule are to adapt.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,463

My dad was very grieved when the VCR tapes of his John Wayne and other Western movies became unplayable. All happened before DVD came out and VCR-to-DVD machines became available, of course. Since he passed, most of his old favourites are available on DVD: I would have loved to have bought him an HDTV, DVD player/recorder and scads of suitable movies. Most of his old C&W music is still with me on vinyl, he loved Marty Robbins, Frankie Laine, etc. It’s still in good nick too, because I had bought him a HiFi with record deck and stereo cassette, recorded the vinyl, taught him how to play them. Came home one day and he was in a bit of a mess, a tape had unspooled and wrapped itself around the innards. I managed to get it out OK and he was convinced that the music was gone, until I showed him how I recorded the vinyl again. That day is when my dad had an epiphany about Tech in general: he ‘got it’ immediately. I can still see him now, reading his wildlife books, feet up on a cushion, listening to music or watching John Wayne, both cockatiels running up his body and hanging off his head. Glass of rum hidden by his side from mother.

My dad was something else…

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry

Bob same here with my Dad (passed)

Before I continue, I confess above mentions of my dad are of my Step Dad.

He was a DJ and had all tech recording kits (reel to reel-projector) I came across his old videos and converted it to DVD, also they are on dropbox. (I think this was mentioned by me, maybe on MM?

I wish he was still here, he would have loved todays tech. He would have been tech savvy before me.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.