Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    The VFM Addict
    Participant
      @thevfmaddict

This Climate Change Quiz is interesting.   Give it a try.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

During the Covid-19 Epidemic I will be wearing a mask and goggles while posting so that if I become infected I won't spread it to you.

The Duke
      Participant
        @sgb101

If them answers are true, and I think they are. It shows we have nothing to worry about.

The VFM Addict
        Participant
          @thevfmaddict

Actually, I’m not of the opinion that we have nothing to worry about.   There is a small global warming trend which may be cause for concern.    But my position is that it is not predominantly down to us and is far more the natural cyclical pattern of climate change seen for millions of years.    So I guess in the end I am of similar mind to you because worrying regarding something you can do nothing or virtually nothing about just ain’t worth it.     In any event we’ll probably get smashed to pieces by a wayward asteroid before climate change ever wipes us out…..LOL

_______________________________________________________________________________________

During the Covid-19 Epidemic I will be wearing a mask and goggles while posting so that if I become infected I won't spread it to you.

Dave Rice
          Participant
            @ricedg

What a ridiculous set of questions! Talk about either irrelevant, out of context or just a “fact”.

Never mind, fly in the face of the scientific world. I’m sure we’re all fed up with “experts”.

Let’s just get our facts from Facebook, much more comforting when you get things from the echo chamber.

Bob Williams
            Participant
              @bullstuff2

There is a reason for the massive number of young and very young people at these protests. It is their future on the planet they are concerned about. Look at the ages of all the leaders of those nations that have the worst, highest polluting emissions. They don’t give a toss about 20 or 30 years’ time, they will be long gone. Affluent deniers like Trump just want to make as much money and retain as much power as they can, before they die. They don’t even consider their own descendants, believing that they will face a different outcome. Well I have news for them: it’s the same ball of rock and you have nowhere else to go. Until the billions of desperate, starving people start to come for whatever you have.

China, India and the USA emit more pollution than the rest of the world put together. Even the Germans burn brown coal, one of the worst emitters. The UK has set targets that we may or may not achieve, but even today we are only responsible for a little less than 1% of total world emissions. When a prominent scientist such as Professor Sir David King says the speed of climate change scares him, the whole world should listen.

https://tinyurl.com/y4w2r5wv

And no, VFM, it’s not a ” small global warming trend ” It’s also not simply ” the natural cyclical pattern of climate change seen for millions of years ” Partially, it may be, but how much more proof do you need that man’s activities are to blame for most of it? I have seen reports that, without the current warming cycle, we would be in a cooling cycle. Sticking your head in the sand hides the truth of course.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
              I'm out.

The Duke
              Participant
                @sgb101

I must admit I thin the planet goes in cycles (well I know), and we are in an up tick atm. We shall only know if man made this one worse when we are on out way out of it.

No I do have issue with plastics  an chemicals in the seas/land   etc.. Global warming I take with a pinch of salt.

PlaneMan
                Participant
                  @planeman

I’m believe that all the plastic and other shite finding it’s way into the environment is terrible. When I could ride my bikes I’d be miles from any town or village and there would always be a McDonalds wrapper or crisp packets at every rest stop.

People are mostly lazy barstweards.

The planet will survive when humanity is gone, whether it’s by our own design (wars, which are very profitable) or just sheer laziness and ignorance.

There are organisms which thrive on consuming plastic.

OFC this doesn’t mean we should just sit back and do 2/10ths of bugger all to stop the pollution.

Electric cars are put forward as the ‘cure’ to urban pollution, they aren’t viable for the vast majority of the population. They also use a huge amount of resources to build, mostly for the batteries.

There is also some evidence that oil fields can replenish themselves, the Russians leave oil wells alone for years and come back to find them full again.

More info.

Ed P
                  Participant
                    @edps

The problem is the selective use of both science and facts.

Take for example the Sulfur hexafluoride used as insulating material in the electrics of the much vaunted windfarms. Unfortunately despite supposedly being a sealed system, many ‘leak’ and SF6 has a greenhouse potential some 25000 times higher than CO2, and there is currently no economic alternate, and ripping out existing equipment will likely cause more harm than good.

Beeb link

A historical note SF6 replaced  PCBs in many instances, and that substance is a known killer!

We therefore need care when rushing to increase windpower generation, even if the need for backup to no wind on a winter evening is ignored.

Dave Rice
                    Participant
                      @ricedg

Oil takes millions of years to create, it’s a finite resource. Oil is not found in big lakes, like the graphics show, it’s actually contained in porous rocks. Oil wells can only fill up again if there is oil to drain into the voids left.

Not a brilliant analogy, but think of squeezing a sponge out then leaving it. You can’t squeeze it all out and after you leave it for a while the residue will sink by gravity to the bottom. If you only ever looked at the bottom it’s appeared to fill up again. The sponge didn’t create any new liquid and it will eventually run out.

Burning the oil releases things like CO2 which have been shown to be greenhouse gasses which cause temperatures to rise. So even if we are on an uptick of temperatures we are also indisputably adding to that by using fossil fuels. It really is that simple. What is complicated is what it will do to the weather patterns at a particular time or place.

The ice is melting and that cannot be a good thing for coastal communities. Arguing whether man has anything to do with it, even though that flies in the face of the evidence, doesn’t alter that. Yes producing electric vehicles produces some unwanted by products but that’s in one place and can be dealt with more easily. It’s not spewing out in my high street.

JayCeeDee
                      Participant
                        @jayceedee

The biggest problem is with the recycling community – by that I mean Councils, Recycling centres and their ilk.

They expect the population who do their best to recycle as much as they can, to abide by a set of rules that has failure built in.

Our local Council regulations permit thing like plastic trays that held steaks, chops, mince, vegetables and the like, to be recycled. The plastic cover however, is non-recyclable. Plastic bottles can be recycled, but not their lids.

Blue lidded bin or blue box – mixed recycling
                        Yes please
                        Washed out food tins, cans and tin or aluminium foil,
                        Empty aerosol cans – without their lids.
                        Washed-out plastic bottles including drinks bottles, milk bottles, cleaning fluid bottles (for example washing up liquid bottles), clean shampoo bottles – without their lids.
                        Washed out plastic tubs, yoghurt pots and ready-meal trays.
                        Food and drink cartons.
                        Jars and glass bottles.
                        No thank you
                        Paper and cardboard.
                        Plastic bags or liners.
                        Plastic film.
                        Polystyrene.
                        Drinking glasses, light bulbs, oven-proof glass, sheet glass or window panes.

Here, it says, no plastic bags or liners, no plastic film and no polystyrene. So just where does that go – into general rubbish and thereby into landfill, or perhaps to some supermarkets who have plastic bag recycling, but excludes film.
                        If you’re recycling paper, there must be no plastic included – so what do you do with bubble wrap envelopes?? Landfill. Plastic film and polystyrene, nappies and pet waste wrapped in plastic bags are all acceptable in general waste ( landfill ).

Don’t put loose domestic waste into your black lidded bin – please put your waste into bags and then into your bin. You can also buy wheeled sized big bin liners from your local supermarket to help keep your wheeled bin clean.

Yes please
                        Nappies.
                        Plastic film and polystyrene.
                        Pet poo or cat litter.

No thank you
                        Recycling materials.
                        Garden waste.
                        Hot ashes.
                        Electrical and electronic items.
                        Clinical waste.
                        Hazardous waste.
                        Paint.
                        Fluorescent tubes.

They don’t want you to put loose domestic waste into bins, you should ( plastic ) bag it individually or use a wheelie bin liner ( plastic ) to contain it within your bin.
                        They really do want their cake and eat it, leaving the regular householder confused and in some cases adding plastic to go into landfill.

The supermarkets  are OK with you recycling LDPE ( plastic carrier bags ) but don’t want HDPE ( Amazon/Ebay/Post Office plastic parcel Bags ).
                        It’s just one big ball of confusion!!

They should step up and include anything recyclable to go in together, move it/sell it to a proper recycling centre that separates the different categories and actually recycles/re-uses them all.

Rant over!!

Dave Rice
                        Participant
                          @ricedg

I totally agree. The rules here in Sth Glos are different from the authorities around us. When I go to Cornwall it’s another set again.

“Plastic” isn’t an issue if it can be dealt with. See Mc Donalds aim at foot and fire swapping recyclable plastic straws for paper ones that aren’t! That’s PR Depts. ruling the strategy for you, they never think anything through. Just deal with today’s headlines.

Les.
                          Participant
                            @oldles

back in 1952, first year at high school, our form master, the PE teacher, gathered us all together rather than in the gym.

He then proceeded to tell us all about the report by the then Dr. Richard Doll. Lung cancer and smoking. I think it is now almost fully accepted, and had been for a few years. But it took 50 years of industries lies before the general population saw through it all.

It is now around 45 years I think since the first scientific statements coupling CO2 levels to the likely effect on global temperatures. Since then the theory has been extended to various other  screening gasses, ozone depletion etc.. I think it will only take a few more years before the doubters will either believe, be silenced, or maybe drowned by rising sea levels.

Les.

Ed P
                            Participant
                              @edps

Les – look up the CERN Cloud experiment – there are external factors too.

Another one is the amount of interstellar dust, if we have passed from a dusty area into a clean one then less sunlight would be absorbed in its passage to the earth.. (Global warming has been observed on Uranus). That is not to say that humanity does not have an effect witness all the forest burning by the Indonesians and Malaysians. (Indonesia’s recent burn put out more CO2 than the US put out in car exhaust in a year). Paradoxically the removal of sulfur through the various clean air restrictions has increased global warming as SO2 aerosols do form clouds and cool the earth.

see link on non-CO2 impacts.

Bob Williams
                              Participant
                                @bullstuff2

I thought that SO2 also set up the conditions in the stratosphere for the formation of acid rain, Ed.

Les, that encounter with your gym teacher is almost entirely opposite to my own experience with our Psycho gym teacher, an ex-Army lunatic. Background: Ours was a Technical Secondary opposite a huge reservoir between Mansfield and Sutton-in-Ashfield. The track around the “Reser” was over 7 miles long and used by the school for cross-country races, including the annual whole school race in which all pupils from 11 to 18 took part, 4 Houses competing. During the summer with no football (Boo!) on Sports Day Wednesday afternoon, we could choose to run in small groups. My little group of 5 were recent nicotine addicts at 13 and we each took turns to carry 5 ciggies and a few matches, so that only one of us would have responsibility. This particular day was my turn, the Psycho PT master watching us run down the long drive clocked me trying to stop the contraband sliding out of my baggy running shirt (I was a small kid) and ran me down. Pulling my shirt out, he found the offending materials and marched me to the changing rooms. He gave me 6 whacks – with a wooden relay baton! You can imagine the pain. Then he marched me to the headmaster and he gave me 6 more with the cane

My dad saw the welts on my backside as I limped off the bus home, having had to leave my bike at school because I could not ride it for pain. The result of that was ex-amateur boxer dad going to school with me next day, chinning the PT lunatic and reading the Riot Act to the Head, informing him that if any action was taken against dad for assault, he would use photos and the GP’s report of my damaged posterior to sue the school. No more was heard, but the sight of my 5’2″ dad knocking out the 6′ PT nutter will always be in my head!

Now, had we had the sort of PT teacher you had Les, I might have used a good lecture like that as an incentive to give up the weed. As it is, I smoked until I was 32.

Recycling: this is our ELDC collection service, they have a very good record and there are local sites nearby which take everything else, from rubble, metal, wood, rigid and other recyclable plastics, to oils, ink cartridges, batteries and WEEE stuff. These are open Friday to Monday inclusive.

https://tinyurl.com/y6qk44av

ELDC Waste site:   https://tinyurl.com/yyh95bh9

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
                                I'm out.

Ed P
                                Participant
                                  @edps

I thought that SO2 also set up the conditions in the stratosphere for the formation of acid rain, Ed.

It does and that together with its impact on lungs is why it was banned, but it probably also helped give us those miserable winters of the 40s through 60s. There is a theory that when low sulfur ships bunker fuel is mandated that global warming will kick in once again, as ocean area SO2 is thought to really help sun-screening cloud formation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                                Forumite