Forumite

TV no internet, USB not recognised. Sony Bravia KDL 40RD 453

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

I have a Sony Bravia KDL 40RD 453. I have been trying to get it onto the internet, as it apparently has WiFi built in. Well no, it apparently does not. Trying to connect to the router in the same room, maybe 12 feet away in line of sight, does not work, following all the instructions in the Manual I downloaded from the Sony UK website. I already have two Netgear PLP 1000Powerline adapters, one connected to the router and the other is two rooms and a hall/corridor away. They work well together, were easily set up and gave me ethernet, a big improvement on just WiFi. I read the Netgear Guide and realised that I could connect another adapter, to the TV. There are three LED’s on these adapters: “Pick a Plug”, Ethernet and power. Now you cannot buy just one adapter: has to be a pair, so I bought them. Connected one to a spare single socket behind the TV, connected the ethernet cable, pressed buttons in sequence as instructed. Only two LEDs lit up, no matter how long I waited: ethernet would not light up.

I went again to Sony UK and investigated. Apparently there is a WiFi attachment gizmo to plug into the TV ethernet socket. So I looked for it. No longer available. So I am stuck with a TV that is not at all as ‘smart’ as it should be. Then I decided to look at connecting the 2 TB external USB Hdd that I had for my desktop backups. I now back that up via an SSD 480 GB external, which is the same size as my ‘C’ drive SSD and works better than the Hdd did. I followed advice given in a previous Topic I have, which told me to format the Hdd as FAT 32 or EXFAT. FAT 32 was not an option, so EXFAT was used. I have not connected this to the TV yet, but I did try a 16GB USB stick. “USB Device not recognised”.

Now, if the Ext. Hdd is also not recognised, in addition to the ethernet fiasco, I will have to consider buying another TV at some point. I should add that the TV does not switch off with the Remote, or the buttons on the TV. when it does that, none of the remote buttons can be used to do anything. Switch it off at the single wall wart socket, switch back on and it all works, until the next time. I always believed that Sony TVs were amongst the best. I bought it in 2017.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,488

Bob, is THIS the item that’s no longer available, or similar to it?? I got given it by Sky to connect my old HD box ( may even have been my old Sky+ box ) to the Internet for On Demand, as my router was in another room. It connected to my router wirelessly and the ethernet plug went into the back of my Sky box. It just worked.

If the general thoughts are that it will do that for your TV, unless your Ethernet port isn’t working,  you’re welcome to it.👍

Edit – Extra thought – didn’t Dave say, in your other Topic, USB sticks don’t stream, so maybe that’s why it wouldn’t be recognised. Double check with the external drive, but try using one that has its’ own power supply. Not all disks can run off the USB socket power alone.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,285

My 2019 TV recognises a USB stick but tells you it’s not suitable for use (the streaming thing). An external HDD would need it’s own power supply, but then that applies to all situations.

The press the buttons thing on the adapters is a one time only job to get them to connect to each other securely (early plugs were open by default). Once the LED for that has lit they’re working, not that it matters if you go through the process again.

So if the Home network light is on and the Ethernet light is out then it’s the cable or the TV. If it is the Ethernet then a WiFi adapter wouldn’t work either for the same reason. BTW the Sky adapter (I had one) is nothing special, a TP-LINK TL-WA901ND in Client mode is cheaper and better.

It’s easy to check the cable by swap out and for the adapter, just move the it to your PC (you won’t have to press the buttons again). It is starting to sound like the TV but an alternative to buying another is to use a Roku or similar device to add smart functionality that only needs HDMI to be working.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,463

Thought I had replied to this, it’s gone. Anyway, thanks for the answers guys.

JayCeeDee: Thanks for the offer, but reading below will show that the TV ethernet port is dead. No it isn’t that Sky device. I have trawled through Sony Support website, most of which gives the same info as the Manual, but it gives the confusing information that, even though their own device is ‘no longer available’, they expressly forbid using any other device as it may damage the TV. Well thank you Sony, when I buy another it will not be branded Sony.

Dave: I have two adapters already. One is Ethernet-connected to the router, the other is two rooms and three walls away in the PC room/spare room, running the desktop via ethernet, from the adapter paired with the one on the router. I bought two more (can’t buy one, only needed one!) and tried plugging in to TV ethernet port, then pairing with the adapter on the router. No Ethernet light. Tried pairing with the desktop room adapter, no ethernet light. However, the “pick a plug” light worked, which meant they were paired ready, but ethernet did not work.

Then I tried to connect the Ext. Hdd that I had formatted EXFAT* to the TV USB port. Attempted to Register it on the TV Settings: “This USB device is not recognised.” Pretty obvious to me now that the TV Ethernet and USB ports are screwed. However, Freeview all works and so does the Fire TV, via its own WiFi receiver (another clue regarding the TV WiFi?) I don’t watch it much, but SWMBO does, is happy with it as it is, so another TV will have to wait. TV is still not turning off with the remote after being on for a couple of hours. Yet another clue! Sooner or later the TV will be borked altogether I think.

*Choice was NTFS or EXFAT. Didn’t think NTFS would work, was I wrong?

I'm out.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,488

JayCeeDee: Thanks for the offer, but reading below will show that the TV ethernet port is dead. No it isn’t that Sky device. I have trawled through Sony Support website, most of which gives the same info as the Manual, but it gives the confusing information that, even though their own device is ‘no longer available’, they expressly forbid using any other device as it may damage the TV. Well thank you Sony, when I buy another it will not be branded Sony.

No worries, Bob – as per my first reply, it sounded like the TV’s ethernet port was playing games. Good luck sorting it out.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,393

Bob, according to this it supports FAT16/32 and NTFS

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,285

It will be worth the wait Bob. My new Panasonic is an amazing device and as mentioned elsewhere reduced my remote controls to one.

However the Achilles heel of Smart TVs is keeping their inbuilt apps relevant and I’ve fallen foul of this with Panasonic not (yet, may be) supporting the Disney+ service so it’s back out with the Amazon TV box which does (and I can side load my own stuff on there too).

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,463

Thanks again guys. Nolan, I must have missed that connectivity link on the Sony site, thanks for that. I will reformat the Hdd and try again.

JCDee, think you’re right but I will give it one last try.

Dave, my Fire TV box is still OK and is now my go-to. I will look at side-loading.

I'm out.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.