Understanding the New Car MOT 2018

HOME Forums Travel and Holidays Transport Understanding the New Car MOT 2018

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by johnbarry 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

So my car failed the MOT today, this was early to preserve the anniversary of the expiry date.

Under the new MOT I think it’s Danger- Major – Minor – Advisories.

It failed on Major and Minor with advisories.

The garage can work on the car this Thursday it will then be all sorted with a new MOT to start from expiry of the current MOT

Meanwhile I am uncertain about using the car meanwhile.

I have read on the internet I can continue to use the car on last years MOT as long as it didn’t fail on Dangerous, other websites I have read I can’t, then I can to the place of repair.

I have a just under a month on the old MOT but I can’t afford the fine and points if I shouldn’t drive it.

Can I or not?

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by johnbarry.

Cheers
    John

Spread the love
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,732

Personally with a major fault I wouldn’t drive it any more than totally necessary, in other words back to the garage to get the work done, even if legally you can.

My Instagram

My YouTube

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 1,526

That’s a good point PM, I will agree and leave it till it’s time to get it repaired.

Cheers
    John

isdarit
    Participant
    @isdarit
    Forumite Points: 120

I wouldn’t drive it either John, but one testers idea of dangerous may not be the next testers. Also if it was that dangerous why did they let you take it home? You would at least expect them to say don’t drive that mate. What did they say was dangerous?

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,616

Been a long time since I was a Tester and the game has changed radically, but I am informed that there will be a notice by the Tester that the car is dangerous, unfit for use on the road and not to be driven until repaired. You don’t have a Dangerous note John, so it would appear that you could drive it. However, I join PM in advising that you leave it be until time to take it for repairs.

I hope the final Invoice is not too painful: did you get a Quote? (Not an estimate)

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,456

I’ve had similar with the bike John. For me the tyres were at the limit. Technically they weren’t a fail, but I didn’t risk taking it out until they’d been replaced.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 1,526

Thanks isdarit

It didn’t fail on dangerous.

Thanks Bob

It’s now knowing makes it better to leave (till repair) and not to say “if only”

Tippon the tyres came on advisory, I too won’t risk it.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love