Understanding the New Car MOT 2018

HOME Forums Travel and Holidays Transport Understanding the New Car MOT 2018

This topic contains 29 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

So my car failed the MOT today, this was early to preserve the anniversary of the expiry date.

Under the new MOT I think it’s Danger- Major – Minor – Advisories.

It failed on Major and Minor with advisories.

The garage can work on the car this Thursday it will then be all sorted with a new MOT to start from expiry of the current MOT

Meanwhile I am uncertain about using the car meanwhile.

I have read on the internet I can continue to use the car on last years MOT as long as it didn’t fail on Dangerous, other websites I have read I can’t, then I can to the place of repair.

I have a just under a month on the old MOT but I can’t afford the fine and points if I shouldn’t drive it.

Can I or not?

• This topic was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by johnbarry.

Cheers
    John

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Replies

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,008

Personally with a major fault I wouldn’t drive it any more than totally necessary, in other words back to the garage to get the work done, even if legally you can.

My Instagram

My YouTube

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 1,586

That’s a good point PM, I will agree and leave it till it’s time to get it repaired.

Cheers
    John

isdarit
    Participant
    @isdarit
    Forumite Points: 162

I wouldn’t drive it either John, but one testers idea of dangerous may not be the next testers. Also if it was that dangerous why did they let you take it home? You would at least expect them to say don’t drive that mate. What did they say was dangerous?

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,100

Been a long time since I was a Tester and the game has changed radically, but I am informed that there will be a notice by the Tester that the car is dangerous, unfit for use on the road and not to be driven until repaired. You don’t have a Dangerous note John, so it would appear that you could drive it. However, I join PM in advising that you leave it be until time to take it for repairs.

I hope the final Invoice is not too painful: did you get a Quote? (Not an estimate)

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,684

I’ve had similar with the bike John. For me the tyres were at the limit. Technically they weren’t a fail, but I didn’t risk taking it out until they’d been replaced.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks isdarit

It didn’t fail on dangerous.

Thanks Bob

It’s now knowing makes it better to leave (till repair) and not to say “if only”

Tippon the tyres came on advisory, I too won’t risk it.

Cheers
    John

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,087

I trust that you are all sorted now John?

Mine failed on one point, headlamp alignment on one beam. They immediately adjusted the one, retested and it passed.

I was surprised that one bean could go like, that as nothing has been done to the lights apart, from polishing out the years of grime and sun discolouration.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 1,226

I was surprised that one bean could go like, that as nothing has been done to the lights apart, from polishing out the years of grime and sun discolouration.

They’re mostly adjusted by spring mounted threads, that are designed to resist vibration but can’t defy it, and wear over time. Also mis-alignment can be caused by parking bumps, ie other people’s sh1te parking knocking into your car.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,505

My car seems to realign itself every time the lights come on. Ive noticed on start up at night, the lights move up and down left and right. I just see it as someone’s future headache and cost. I’m not a fan of tech for the sake or it.

My FiL always goes for the most basic of cars. He choose a ka (in 09 cash for scrap deal) bog standard, no central locking, windy windows, no ac (I think), the thing is a bare as a 2009 car can be. His reasoning was “less to break”

I really do see his point, Especally as today’s cars are being stuffed with tech that’s not needed. I’ve had a lot of cars that where 10 years old, by 15 it’s not the engine etc that’s dead, it’s all the electricals that have gone to far, and the is past it due date.

For about 50 years a normal everyman car has to fulfil 3 periods of life, 1.the original buyer or leaser,2 then it has to hold some value so at 4 years old it can be sold for about 5-10k (type depending) . Then comes stage 3, the stage we all start at, the 1-2k car. That has to live another 4 years, then die.

If a car fulfils these 3 cycles, the car world keeps turning. Everyone is happy with their purchase, and would buy again. Though everyone wants to move up from a stage 3 owner to a stage 2 or 1 owner.

This is the life of a normal car. Now if we fill all new cars with tech, I can’t see them getting to stage 3. Or not enough to fulfil the demand. All new cars will be failing way before there 14 year death date. I can see an issue for the whole market in about 8 years time or so.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,100

I was surprised that one beam could go like, that as nothing has been done to the lights apart, from polishing out the years of grime and sun discolouration.

” They’re mostly adjusted by spring mounted threads, that are designed to resist vibration but can’t defy it, and wear over time. Also mis-alignment can be caused by parking bumps, ie other people’s sh1te parking knocking into your car.

Spot on, JCD! Long time since I carried out my last MOT test, but the principle remains the same today. I tested several “regulars” whose headlamp beams always needed adjusting. On one occasion I refused to adjust until the owner agreed to allow me to remove the lamp, the badly-corroded adjusters and replace with new, then adjust. Small charge only for that.

Steve I agree with your summing-up of gimmick-laden cars today. When I downsized from the Tucson to the iX20, I lost several different gimmicks and a gadget-laden instrument touch panel that took me a bout 2 weeks to find all the purposes of the various gimmicks, half of which I didn’t use. The heater controls were a case in point: touch this but not that to do this, touch this, this and that to do something else. Daft! The iX20 has a simple rotary control, two ‘clock’ faces, one inside the other. Outer one controls heat, inner on the amount of Fan draught. What could be simpler? It also has FM audio with 2 USB media ports, and a CD slot. Perfick! Not that I use the CD slot, as my in car music is all on USB MP3. The Tucson had all seats with multiple seat positions: the iX fronts move forward, back, up, down and recline. Rear seats have 3 different positions between straight up and recline at about 10º to vertical. What does not suit passengers,* must be endured!😆😋

If some manufacturer built a basic (but safe!) car without all the gimmicks, it would sell just on the price, a way forward for many buyers to afford a newer car. Won’t happen though: the industry is too set on selling with gimmicks installed.

*Except for my darling missus, who needs a large cushion in order to see and shout at other motorists…🙄😏😊

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Earlier today I was reading an artical that recons laws will be coming in around 2022 stating that all new cars will be gps speed limited based on the road, (no more speeding), auto braking, Lane keep assists, us a whole host of safety inspired kit..

So the gimmick are coming for all. 2022 seems a bit close, but tbh most higher entry level cars have all this kit already.

Mine has it all, it recognises road speeds, it has emergency breaksing, it has radar  ruse control, lane assist. All it takes its a bit of software to link it all together. And the gov can track you and slow you down. Alot of cars that didn’t even tick the option box, also gets thd kit, it’s just not activated. Alot of thd time it’s cheaper to put one “widget” in all veriants and charge to turn it on. Ie tick the option box.

So gimmicks are here to stay and rule us.

Tbh the day this happens is thd day self driving cars become a thing in alot of peoples minds. The day self driving cars actully happen, is the day car ownership will start to die. As I wousl be happy to subscribe monthly to a service that collects me and drops me off when summoned.

You could call it a driverless taxi, but I’d call car share leasing. That is the future. If I could get a family plan, for the same cost as running a car costs, I’d do it. No more dad’s taxi, the kids just summon their nearest car when they need to go anywhere. That is the future for me.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

You might be right about the spring adjuster being an issue. The old car has done 101,000 plus miles, and is in its 14th year now, but is good enough for hacking with dogs, taking tut to the tip, going to hospital car parks and the supermarket for as long as it goes on.

I am inclined to agree about the gimmicks, in new cars but one person’s gimmicks are another person’s must have. I manage to disable lane assist on the new cars whenever I drive them, the crap state of the local roads means that it often ‘thinks’ holes; gaps and filler, potholes and other rubbish are lane markers, so squawks until silenced. The USB player option is not used by me so is ignored unless charging the mobile. I can link the mobile to the sat-nav to get traffic information, but the rigmarole is such a pain that I have not used it in a year or two. I use my wife for that function… I do find the Bluetooth function useful and the variable speed wipers with their rain sensing function were only found a couple of weeks ago and only by accident, the automatic lights are useful though not a must have. The proximity sensors squawk whenever I drive out of the garage, so I turn them off and concentrate on what I am doing. I am not sure about the automatic seat adjuster that moves the driver’s seat back when you switch off and park; the long term reliability of the electric handbrake worries me, but it does bring some benefits.

I do love the speed limiter now I am used to it, but the sun roof has only ever been opened to see if it works. I do use the MPG gauge, but that was a fitment even on the old car.

As for the automatic speed limiter and other new proposals, I have very mixed views, possibly a good idea until somthing goes wrong. However, I am not certin I will encounter them as I doubt my future holds another new car.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,008

The mandatory speed limiter will be circumvented in seconds. Then be reinstated in seconds for the next service.

My car has tech I’m happy with, rear windows are wind up, don’t care as if anyone is back there I’m doing them a favour. It annoys me maybe 3 times a year when there is heavy condensation and I have to go back and wind the windows down to clear  it.

ESP works well, even in the wet. If you don’t use more than a 1/3rd throttle and never nail it. So not that well for me. I don’t care. It’s like an old school hot hatch that doesn’t break me every time I drive it.

Android Auto is now a must for me, music via Google Play Music playlists and nav mostly via Waze. Drove mum’s recent 18 plate special edition Fiat 500 briefly today and the lack of Android Auto was a nightmare. Crappy tiny screen was off 15 seconds after turning the ignition.

My Instagram

My YouTube

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

I trust that you are all sorted now John? Mine failed on one point, headlamp alignment on one beam.

Richard It is now all sorted, thanks.

Cheers
    John

The Duke
    @sgb101

I miss the speed limiter function my old car had. I was surprised the new one didn’t have it, as it has a lot of stuff. Including crude control, which I’d guess used the same sensors and system, just in a reverse type fashion.

I didn’t use the limiter often but going into cities and busy area I don’t know. It was nice to set it to 30mph and not need worry about my speed. As in new automatics it’s so easy to nudge 50 without noticing youre speeding up.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee

I have to admit to being a bit biased towards the ‘toys’ side of this argument and have spent a long time looking for my next car, because I wanted it fully specced, ( see the list below ) which looks more like a Christmas wish list than an equipment list.😀😊

The reason for wanting them is down to the fact that my current car ( bought at 4yo and now 10yo ) came fully specced – I didn’t actually know the full extent when I bought it but I spent the first few weeks RTFM’ing like you wouldn’t believe.

I don’t think I’ve particularly had lots of problems with the toys, just the usual mechanical servicing and wear and tear replacement, except in the last year and a half. That was down to Exhaust Gas Recirculation problems ( burnt out servo motor ) and the  automatic gearbox ( ECU ), but they were both expensive fixes.

I did have for some time, a problem with the car showing an engine fault and the ESP and run flat indicator lights showing, plus taking it out of cruise control – this, strangely, was cured by replacing the brake light switch!! That one had me bottling it for a while expecting my third expensive bill, but no,  £15 and half hours’ work cured it!!!

VEHICLE SPECIFICATION

Anti-lock braking system (ABS) with Brake Assist (BAS)

Smartphone integration package

Tyre pressure monitoring system

LED High Performance headlamps

Parking Pilot

Garmin® MAP PILOT

Ambient lighting

Front seat left, electrically adjustable memory switch

Cruise control with Limiter

Multifunction steering wheel

Heat-insulating dark-tinted glass

Electric windows

Preinstallation for Live Traffic Information

KEYLESS-GO

Adaptive High Beam Assist

Apple Car Play

Active parking assist including Parktronic

Headlamp assist – automatic headlamp activation

ADAPTIVE BRAKE with HOLD function

ESP® Curve Dynamic Assist

Active Braking Assist

Panoramic sliding sunroof

Door sill panels with “Mercedes-Benz” lettering, illuminated

Reversing camera

8-Inch Media Display

Android Auto

Rain-sensing windscreen wipers

Electronic Stability Programme (ESP)

COMAND Online

Remote Online

Traffic Sign Assist

ECO engineering package

Communications module for use of the Mercedes connect me services

TIREFIT with tyre inflation compressor

I think it’ll be another few weeks RTFM’ing it again, in fact I’ve already started.

Just waiting for a second part to come from Germany and I should be picking it up next week.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,352

I do a lot of driving on twisty, undulating country lanes – often early morning or evening, and the one new gimmick I REALLY like is auto-dipping headlights. Especially when it is on the cars coming towards me!

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

That is not an especially unique list, I think I have many equivalents, though I have yet to use many of them. The phone integration can be useful but it appears to confuse the phone so that it forgets to bother about the earpiece when I get out of the car. So the car searches in vain for the phone which I leave in Bluetooth ear piece mode. I might have parking assist, but working out how to use some of these bits takes more time than doing the job! Mind you, in the past I often wrote programmes to do things at work rather than trying to fathom out how some gismo on the machine could be made to use the supplied function. The manuals did not make their use the most straight forward thing in the world. I was not helped when someone ordered a super complex pair of modems for a straight private wire connection and it too several weeks to reprogramme the modems NOT to use their smarts as it buggered up the link protocol.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee

That is not an especially unique list, I think I have many equivalents, though I have yet to use many of them.

It’s going to sound like I’m showing off now, but really, it’s just clarifying the info. There are a lot of familiar terms on that list, but an added word or two makes a huge difference. It was only when I googled the terms that I found out what they really do.

Active Brake Assist for example. It doesn’t just assist or boost, it can take over and bring you to a safe stop if something catches you unawares.

The MercedesMe portal also gives you access ( for a subscription ), to a lot of handy extras – did I remember to lock the car in the car park? Wife gets back to the car before me and it’s raining?? and more. And no, I won’t be getting the car to park itself, ( James Bond style?? ) using the mobile phone app however!!

Ed – that’s the Adaptive HighBeam Assist, which I really like, as I don’t like dazzling other road users ( or being dazzled myself ). Like you, I drive a lot of country lanes in the dark and the number of badly adjusted headlights and idiots who don’t know or realise/care they’re on Main Beam is ridiculous.

Simply put, Adaptive Highbeam Assist eliminates the need to flip between high and low beams while also ensuring the path ahead is fully lit without ever straining the eyes of other drivers. As other cars approach, the headlamp range automatically adjusts based on the distance of oncoming traffic.

The COMAND Online, which is the main one I was looking for, gives you access, via a stalk or a button on the multi-function steering wheel, to get anything from Radio, Music, Map, Phone or setting SatNav destinations etc using a spoken command, while keeping your eyes on the road, instead of looking for the button on the dashboard.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Its the number of what appear to be motorcycles until you get close enough and can see the vehicle details that gets me, the Cyclops brigade as many call them.

My wife has had her car since 2012 and I bought mine new one in 2016, it was supposed to replace old car, but fate took over. It was only a fortnight ago that I found some of the automation on screen wiping. I checked the book and parking assist is a feature, I even found which otherwise unused, (by me) button sets it up. ‘Connected services’ are a whole different ball game, my shallow needs may not warrant the time investment to read the manual and set it up let alone master that function.

The old car very basic which makes it easier to use, though that makes it easier to take a long way round to a previously un-visted hospital 55 miles away at 3:00 in the morning; no satnav in the old car! My normal navigator was the patient, so was running degraded navigation skills.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love