Forumite

Ungentlemanly warriors.

HOME Forums Reading, Books and Audio Books Books Ungentlemanly warriors.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

I have just finished “The Ministry Of Ungentlemanly Warfare” by Giles Milton, ©2016. Subtitled ‘Churchill’s Mavericks: Plotting Hitler’s Defeat’. It is a great story with some fantastically talented, enigmatic, often eccentric characters, drawn from all walks of British life. If you enjoyed the Bletchley Park and Enigma story, this will be your cup of tea.

It has a lot of fascinating content, including (near the end) the fact that the CIA actually began in the wartime UK and was initially set up in the USA by a Brit. I read a lot of WWII books, but have to say that this one taught me much that I was unaware of.

http://tinyurl.com/ybo4y4nu

Audio book (Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/yxebszqw

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 512

There’s a book just published (who’s name I can’t remember) about Churchill’s secret army nicknamed scallywags. They were the equivalent of the resistance on home soil who’s job it was to frustrate & prevent, if possible, enemy movements if we were invaded.

Auxiliary Units – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxiliary_Units

GCHQ Coleshill – http://www.coleshillhouse.com/ghq-coleshill.php

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 512

Posted wrong Coleshill link above

http://www.coleshillhouse.com/the-auxiliary-units-history.php

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,926

Churchill secret warriors with follows the formation of the commandos and Andre’s lassan, is one of my all time favs.

Don’t have time to look the author  up, I’m only way out the door,

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 4,636

“the fact that the CIA actually began in the wartime UK and was initially set up in the USA by a Brit”

Was that the OSS?

Once upon a time there were tons (literally) of OSS papers lodged at the London Patent Office. This detailed all the patented stuff that the OSS grabbed from the Nazi war machine. Quite amazing what the Germans felt needed to be patented, rather than just kept in some secret research location, including for example the pulse jet engine of a V-1. It was also quite amazing to find all this stuff in the public domain at the height of the Cold War, or more likely no-one in the OSS/SIS had read it and realised what it contained.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Update – Damien Lewis, is the author of Curchills secret warriors.  if I could be anyone form any time period in history, ever, it would be Anders lassen.

To add, while I was in the marines I spent time connected to comacchio group. I never knew at the time where the group got its name from, or a thing about anders life. I’ll let anyone interested read the book and find out themselves. It’s a man and a story every man should know about. Thr book isn’t aimed to be about him, but the formation of the commandos  and it follows them form their inception to the end of the war.

As usual DL does a great job in his telling of these great mens stories. I do live a DL book, Especially  his WW2 books.

Though it is a small world

The Duke
    @sgb101

The cia truly come to life with the post nuclear era, a when gun boat deplomacy ended. They needed a legal and non threatening way to invade nations. So they mainly come about in the era of Economic ‘hitmen’ warfare.

A great eye opening book called ‘the confessions of an economic hitman’ by John Perkins, was a revaluation to me, and made the whole world come into focus for me. Its probably the number one book that has shaped my thinking as an adult. It’s a good reader too. A what could be a  dry subject told very well .

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,279

Cheers Bob – just grabbed the kindle version – can’t grumble for 99p – got a huge reading backlog but looking forward to this one.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,965

wasbit, the Auxiliary Units were started by the organisation in this book and the source of GCHQ is also mentioned.

Steve, Anders Lassen was trained and sent in by the same people in the book, he was an outstanding soldier who stood out even among so many others. I will look for the book you mention.

Ed yes, it was the OSS.

BL, you’re welcome mate!

Reading “Ungentlemanly Warfare” will show that the organisation was the source of so many other parties who fought the Nazis, then eventually the Japanese. Including the Commandos. (not Marines Steve: Commandos were drawn from the best of all Arms.) They ran the Resistance in so many countries, they invented and produced all the weapons and explosives used to stop the Germans operating in Europe. There is one scenario which has a few British and French agents preventing ‘Das Reich’ German Armoured Division reaching Normandy to oppose and probably stop D-Day. It took 17 days for Das Reich to get there, by which time the Allies had enough armour in the field to win through.

Most of these guys were civilians a few years before the war, their worst opposition was actually British generals and politicians, who thought that war was a game of cricket and ‘Dirty war’ was not British. The RAF Air Marshall had to be ordered by Winston to give them aircraft and the generals ordered by him to supply them with whatever they needed. Winston was their greatest supporter and believed that war had to be won, by any means necessary.

This book was a WWII eye-opener for me, I cannot recommend it enough.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

The Duke
    @sgb101

I know Bob, but they could only trusts the marines to carry it forward. ?

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

At a bit (well OK a lot) of a tangent just finished a book on the St Nazaire Raid (blow up the dry dock, stop the Tirpitz docking there). Incredible story – would make a terrific high-budget feature film.  I read a book about a German Pioneer Battalion (“Into Oblivion” by Jason Mark) who were stationed in France at the time of the raid, were called to arms and then stood down because the raid “had been repulsed”. Only to find out the boat that rammed the dock detonated a load of delayed action explosive and put the dock out of action for the rest of the war. The dock incidentally was a copy of Southampton. I’m here all week !

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

There is of course Clarkson’s film. YouTube

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,904

Thanks Bob, another for me to get.

Recently finished Churchill’s Secret Warriors and They Fought Alone, both in the same vein.   If anyone fancies They Fought Alone and they have a branch of The Works nearby worth having a look, got mine for £3 in the local branch.

Ed, thanks for the Clarkson link, forgot about that one, time to view it again.

My Instagram

My YouTube

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

There is of course Clarkson’s film. YouTube

Thanks Ed – not seen that one – great timing!

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,965

I know Bob, but they could only trusts the marines to carry it forward. ?

You’re right of course, but I made that comment just for your reaction, Steve!??

BL, the St. Nazaire raid was planned, manned, supplied and organised by the guys in the book.

Ed, see answer to BL above.

Nolan, Churchill set up his Secret Warriors and SOE by relying upon the 6 men in the book who got together to plan Ungentlemanly Warfare, as you will find after reading it.

I just feel that the generation which fought in WWII, was extraordinary. I take “Flypast” every month and notice the shrinking number of aircrew and groundcrew whose deaths since last issue are recorded. Most in their 90’s now of course, a few 100+. Flypast have begun recording the passing of servicemen from later conflicts such as Korea and they are not much younger. A few years ago, I met 2 locals who served in WWII: one was a Lancaster rear gunner, the other a Fleet Air arm pilot who served on 3 carriers including Victorious. He eventually saw his last action in the Far East, attacking Japan. Both men are gone now, neither would talk about their actual service, apart from the aircraft and the ships. Which is what you find when speaking to most of those who saw out WWII in active service.

--- Robin Williams

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

My old Physic’s teacher was the Radar Officer on the Illustrious. He too would not talk much about it except to insist that everyone be able to derive all physics formulae from just a few first principles. . His rationale was that one day you might find yourself in a place with no reference books, and nothing that is in the text book. I suspect that he had to do a lot of jury-rigging during his war years!

It was however a fairly cruel method in that it favoured those who could think on their feet – the weak went to the wall.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.