Forumite

Unusual Fare

HOME Forums Health and Well being Diet Unusual Fare

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Do not watch if planning to grab a burger or other fast food!

link

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,850

It’s only what’s been rumoured to happen at every takeaway in Bristol I’ve heard of ?

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,284

Nothing wrong with a mouse or ratburger, providing it’s properly gutted and cleaned. In fact, there are so many of the buggas, it could be one solution to world hunger.

In fact, there are even more insects than mice or rats:    https://tinyurl.com/y3fw7ozu

I have (carefully) killed and eaten snake on Jungle Training. Not bad at all. Left the head and venom sacs though. A vegan or vegetarian, I am not.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 4,240

I’ll eat anything, as long as it doesn’t contain puss.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 7,622

Insects can be really nice, especially the Aussie Witchity Grub. To my taste it is like a creamy lobster pate.

edit:

Bob the Live Market in Singapore used to do a roaring trade in bagged snakes for their National Service boys on Jungle training. The rumour was that the Army kept visiting the same spots and had pretty much exterminated the local snake population.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 3,447

Deep fried locusts are crunchy but the ones I had tasted mostly of batter ?

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 5,730

Recently I’ve switched to more plant based foods, not because I’m a vegetarian or anything but I have a damaged stomach and can’t eat certain foods, pork being one of them.

Quorn and Linda McCarntey alternatives are truly amazing. Quorn frozen meatballs are epic. The burgers are very good and the sausages are also great. The McCartney sausages honestly taste better than any pork ones I’ve ever had, the mozzarella burgers are right up there with any beef burger I’ve had, and I’ve had a lot.

They also come up on offer fairly often in Asda, got a load of McCartney sausages and burgers in the freezer at mum’s, £1 a box.

They are also better for you and the planet.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

My eldest’s GF is vegetarian and we now have a planned meat free day every Wednesday. For me it’s led my into areas of cooking I would never have considered.

Carrot biyrani sounds very much like rabbit food, it’s one of the best meals we’ve cooked because of course it’s all about the spicing and the excuse to have all the various pickles to go with it.

I do like my meat, we’re having some Aldi sizzle steaks on Thursday, but if someone said I couldn’t have it any more I wouldn’t be too disconsolate.

Beer on the other hand…

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 3,792

The wife loves chicken and fish and lamb, but isn’t over-fussed by beef or steak.

I love almost all meats, with chicken at the lower end and less so fish ( except proper beer battered fish and chips ).

When she makes a shepherd’s/cottage pie she uses half mince and half quorn mince or a similar meat free version, there’s loads around these days. I honestly can’t tell the difference, but my cholesterol certainly can.

She says that since recovering from the Lymphoma she wants to see a rainbow of vegetables on my plate – I tell her not to bother, but it won’t kill me to eat them, and may just help with avoiding that very scenario!!

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

My daughter is very vegetable averse. When I make cottage pie or bolognese I grate in the carrot and celery and it physically disappears when cooked.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 7,622

Heck Burgers are based on pea protein and actually taste pretty much like a burger. Tesco also have a similar range.

I’m afraid I cannot abide the fungus-based Quorn – it just does not agree with me.

Probably because a friend of mine (an ex-biochemical engineer) pointed out that at one time there were heaps of rotting myco-organisms being ploughed into landfill surrounding the old Pfizer plant in Sandwich Kent (gone now). It was the waste product from the manufacture of birth control pills.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 3,792

My daughter is very vegetable averse. When I make cottage pie or bolognese I grate in the carrot and celery and it physically disappears when cooked.

Onions and garlic have a very bad reflux reaction on me these days ( when I was younger, I couldn’t get enough of them, eating raw onion in cheese and ham rolls, and I would have garlic bread for toast in the morning!!)

For a bolognese, shepherds pie or stir fry these days, I keep packs of frozen leeks and peppers to provide a tang. These give the same flavour, without the problems.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,284

Has to be a Dave R post…

I do like my meat, we’re having some Aldi sizzle steaks on Thursday, but if someone said I couldn’t have it any more I wouldn’t be too disconsolate.

Beer on the other hand…

I like my meat too, but has to be not too big and accompanied by lots of veg. And heaps of thick gravy*. The only veg I cannot eat are Swede and Turnip. I have a large nephew who used to take one of my dad’s onions out of the garden (with granddad’s permission) wash it and eat it like an apple. His daughter confirms that he still does that and he has never had a day away from work ill. Same nephew at about 3, once painted himself blue from head to foot, another time sat on the coalhouse floor eating coal. Yet again, drank half a bottle of Oil of Swallows embrocation. All around 3 or 4 years old. Don’t know how he made it to puberty.

*My mam’s gravy was legendary. Dad used to pass the gravy boat (size of a small bucket!) and ask “One slice or two?”

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!