Usable RAM

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk Usable RAM

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Tippon 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Creator
    Topic

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

I have

Will all 7.88GB be used, I ask as in the past forumites have said (maybe XP) only 3-4GB is used.

Is it pointless having 8GB RAM

Cheers
    John

Spread the love
Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,285

The Windows OS now ‘tries’ to make use of available RAM (if the software can make use of it.). If you have Chrome on your PC it will gobble the lot! 4-8GB for the average user is thought to be OK, but others need much more. link

Windows nasty Photo app will gobble huge amounts when indexing especially if you have a lot of photos.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Ed P.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,853

Windows will eat everything, but doesn’t mean you need a lot. For most people 8 is fine, for a gamer 16 is nice. And anything over that is a waste unless you know you need it.

Usally media editors. Or people that runs lots of simulations or runs many vms. Then put in as much as you need.

I think it was the win7 days was the last time I worried about ram.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 1,437

Thanks Ed n Duke and for the link.

I should be ok with 8 reading your suggestions.

Cheers
    John

Alan Wood
    Participant
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Points: 412

The RAM restriction to less than 4GB only ever applied to a 32 bit version of Windows. The 64 bit never had that restriction

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,853

Alan makes a good point. (I forgot) 32 bit windows maxes out at 4gb. So if it’s 32nit 4 is your limit. If its 64bit I think it’s 128gb (may of changed) but I’m sure your mobo will have a limit lower than that lol.

Older ones would be 8 to 16gb. Just have a quick look in the user manual or the net.

But given you have such an exact number of 7. 88gb I’d say its in, and showing up. So your good to go.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,454

You can have issues with some ram combinations, usually with older bioses. I have a laptop where whatever combination of 2 x 4GB sticks is shown in the BIOS as 8GB but Windows only gave a usable amount of 6GB, sometimes less. That was actually down to the combination of single sided and double sided sticks and so was the hardware not Windows despite what thew hardware was stating.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,152

I had the same issue with my current Mobo at setup, Dave. Tried (4×2) Gb in 4 slots, no go. Swapped* for (2×4) Gb in matching slots: no problem. Rarely use anywhere near the full 8GB (or 7.88, whatever) though, unless working with graphics or photos.

*Thank you Corsair!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Bob Williams.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 1,437

Thanks all, so it’s more the 32-64bit than the OS name

and also the hardware combination.

Cheers
    John

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 886

Windows 7 64bit Home editions used to limit you to 16GB of Ram but it was purely a licencing issue. They stopped that sillyness with 8.1

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Am I getting a feeling that you do not like the Windows Photo App Ed ? 😂😂

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I found out about the memory limit removal when I briefly installed 18GB  of RAM and all of it showed up as available. That also proves that my MoBo does memory remapping properly or some of it would have gone missing due to memory mapped device I/O.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,285

Am I getting a feeling that you do not like the Windows Photo App Ed ? 😂😂

I loathe it, but unfortunately there is no way of uninstalling it.

What I most dislike is that it uses a ‘greedy spposedly’ ‘background’ memory allocation and i/o stack that does not give way gracefully when I am starting up VMs.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Ed P.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,195

I loathe it, but unfortunately there is no way of uninstalling it.

IOBit Uninstaller seems to shift it. I haven’t had a chance to check if it actually does yet though.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love