Forumite

USB 3.0 Card Reader

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk USB 3.0 Card Reader

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    USB 3.0 Card Reader 2johnbarry
    @johnbarry

I have purchased this type of reader for a permanent fixture.

USB 3.0 Card Reader 3

For some time I have had a message USB not working, I have come to use the reader for a TFT and it’s not seen.

I conclude the reader is carp.

Can anyone recommend a good USB 3.0 Card Reader like above, to fix next to my PC not to put in a drawer.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    USB 3.0 Card Reader 4Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,276

It may not be your reader that is carp, but its hub connection. It is very easy to ‘blow the soft fuse’ on a hub and it will not register anything until it is reset. Search on “usb reset soft fuse fuze”. I only linked the M$ one but you may find others more understandable.

link

Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,402

Thanks Ed

Following the link there is nothing conflicting. Further investigation reveals the USB ports are working but nothig is seen when you put a SD card in wether you use Micro or adapter. It’s like the SD part is dead.

So back to can anyone advise a good hub similar to above.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    USB 3.0 Card Reader 6JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,811

iirc, you used to have an HDD docking station, if it’s anything like mine, there’s a built-in card slot for SD cards.

It won’t be USB3, but may well be fast enough to stream. Have you thought about checking that out??

Participant
    @johnbarry

You’re right I used to, it stopped working. It would light up but no drives were seen.

In that statement it makes me think it’s the rig, that however can’t be the case as it’s the same in the Lenovo.

I did keep that in the drawer (might still be there) I have to mess about, hence the above to keep handy.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    USB 3.0 Card Reader 6JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,811

You’re right I used to, it stopped working. It would light up but no drives were seen.

Did you try it with a different cable, sometimes they were a bit iffy. Mine uses a standard USB to Mini USB cable. If you have a known working one ( some older SatNavs used them to link to a PC or to be powered from a lighter USB socket ) it might be worth a punt.

Participant
    @johnbarry

Sadly I never tried the cable.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.