Forumite General Topics Tech Other Tech USB type C

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
      @grahamdearsley
      Forumite Points: 4

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C

Has anyone else looked at the USB-C cable and connector spec recently ? If not then the wiki page is above.

I looked it up because my new surface pro 7 has one that does things that I thought needed separate ports.

There are some surprises to be sure 😃

PlaneMan
      Participant
        @planeman
        Forumite Points: 200

It’s awesome.

I wouldn’t buy a brand new phone/laptop without it.

My Chromebook charges vie USB C, does HDMI out and all the other normal stuff. It charges real quick with the supplied power brick (about an hour from near empty) and still lasts about 10 hours on a charge. It’s at least 4 years old.

Drezha
        Participant
          @drezha
          Forumite Points: 0

I like it and I’m disappointed that Apple haven’t adopted it for the iPhones – doesn’t really make sense, now that the iPad Pro’s are on USB-C and the MacBooks are all on USB-C.

BTW – the Surface Pro 7 will also charge via USB-C, as well as the Surface port. You just need to make sure that the USB charger outputs sufficient power.

I think that’s my only concern with it, is that Joe Soap (like my mum) wouldn’t realise that different chargers output different amounts of power and just consider that a USB-C charger should charge everything.

"Everything looks interesting until you do it. Then you find it’s just another job" - Terry Pratchett

Wheels-Of-Fire
          Participant
            @grahamdearsley

The surface pro 7 charger actually has a type A port that does USB-C fast charging as well as the lead with the surface pro magnetic plug, i’m using it to power my phone. I also have a Creative Roar Pro speaker that charges from the type A plug on the surface pro its self so only one mains socket required 😃

Wheels-Of-Fire
            Participant
              @grahamdearsley

It really is surprising that iPhone’s do not have a USB-C port, seeing as Apple is a member of the USB Implementers Forum. I think it’s because they wan’t to remain compatible with the installed base of lightning port accessory’s or they are just plain stubborn.

My vote goes with option 2 🤣

Ed P
              Participant
                @edps
                Forumite Points: 39

Irrational decisions such as continuing to use Lightning vs the better USBC are often a result of some head honcho in the Corporation being deeply involved in the original design or marketing of the device. They tend to defend impossible positions as they think that U-turns are weak — probably explains some dumb-ass moves by this Government too.

Wheels-Of-Fire
                Participant
                  @grahamdearsley

Well it fits in with my classification of peoples opinions in general. They come in 3 tiers.

Tier 1.

Gather all the facts you can and weigh them up, come to a conclusion and use that as a basis for your opinion.

Easily changed when new facts come along if you don’t care about being wrong with the old facts.

Tier 2.

Just pick a person or group of people who you trust or respect and take THEIR opinion wholesale. Easy to spot because if you ask why they think like they do they will reply “Because He, She, They” said so. Only way to change that opinion is to become a MORE trusted person.

Then we get tier 3.

This is really just self delusion.

Find something you would like to be true and then just convince yourself that it is.

You will NOT shift this opinion with facts or logic because it didn’t get there that way.

Discuss 😁

The Duke
                  Participant
                    @sgb101
                    Forumite Points: 5

Love usb C, been using them on phones for years, but it’s the iPad pro where it has shined for me. It’s the one port to rule them all. I just wish the pro had a second port.

Wheels-Of-Fire
                    Participant
                      @grahamdearsley

Get yourself a powered USB-C Hub. It SUOULD Pass through all USB functions but given the complexity of the Standard, Who knows ?

Drezha
                      Participant
                        @drezha

Get yourself a powered USB-C Hub. It SUOULD Pass through all USB functions but given the complexity of the Standard, Who knows ? –

It also depends on if the iPad accepts it.

I know it works with Ethernet, display and USB storage.

"Everything looks interesting until you do it. Then you find it’s just another job" - Terry Pratchett

JayCeeDee
                        Participant
                          @jayceedee
                          Forumite Points: 144

Then we get tier 3. This is really just self delusion. Find something you would like to be true and then just convince yourself that it is. You will NOT shift this opinion with facts or logic because it didn’t get there that way.

Trump, anyone??

Wheels-Of-Fire
                          Participant
                            @grahamdearsley

Well if you like JCD. Thing is though, we are getting far too much tier 3 at the moment, from all directions, much more tier 1 would be nice 😃

JayCeeDee
                            Participant
                              @jayceedee
                              Forumite Points: 144

Well if you like JCD. Thing is though, we are getting far too much tier 3 at the moment, from all directions, much more tier 1 would be nice 😃

From your lips to God’s ear!! :yes:

The problem is that to get more tier 1 would require an education system that promoted free thought and clear reasoned thinking, backed up by a solid education, things that have been noticeable by their absence in the world of schools under the last few decades of government. 🙁 :wacko:

The Duke
                              Participant
                                @sgb101
                                Forumite Points: 5

I have a the smart keyboard which wives the iPad a second “charge only” usb C . I also have a dongle jin with other ports on it.

When the pro came out I decided cos it now has iPad os instead of iOS I’d give it a go as my main work machine. Took a bit of getting use to but I now like it.

Drezha
                                Participant
                                  @drezha

I got the Pro through work as well for work – it was good but when lockdown happened, it shows it’s limitations and I’ve had to go back to Windows as a primary machine. Couldn’t use just iPadOS and I like Apple!

However, I tend to reach for my Surface rather than my iPad Pro, and if I’m using a pad, I’ll often use my personal iPad Mini 5 instead, as I find the form factor and weight better. Havn’t used my Kindle since I got the Mini!

Wheels-Of-Fire
                                  Participant
                                    @grahamdearsley

I’m not sure why anyone wouldn’t prefer Windows these days. DOS was rubbish and Windows 9x had many faults but Windows 10 is based on the NT kernel and it is a whole different animal. Rewritten from the ground up by the man who designed the DEC VMS OS.

Wheels-Of-Fire
                                    Participant
                                      @grahamdearsley

I have said this before but the Windows front end you see is really just a subsystem running on top of the NT Kernel. NT handles the file systems,virtual memory, multitasking and multiuser features, and infact everything else. The Windows subsystem can do very little without making a syscall into NT

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping