Use or scrap?

HOME Forums Tech Linux Talk Use or scrap?

This topic contains 29 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Les. 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

Yesterday I was searching for a suitable sized backing to use with my comb binder to make a ‘scope manual, and came upon a tidy looking laptop. After 24 hrs of head scratching, I think it was given to me by a pal about 8 years ago, before he left the island. I seem to have given it an XP install, but never used it since. My question them becomes is it any use to me or somebody else, or do I just scrap it.

It will obviously run OK on XP, but since everybody insists XP is a no-no due to lack of security support, then  the alternative would be a linux distro. Is there a current distro that would work safely on it?

The spec, from my 2004 version of PCCHECK is as follows:-

HP (Compaq) NX7010, ver F_55.

100MHz bus speed. Release date 07-14-05.

Intel Pentium M CPU. 1.70 GHz

Speed 600MHz

Mem 512 Mb, Cache 32Kb

40Gb HDD (I may have a slightly bigger one somewhere)

Video.  Radeon Mobility 9000 (64Mb)

I will probably try booting off a  recent Mint  OS, but expect graphics to be wholly unable to run.

Suggestions please.

Les.

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Replies

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,085

Damn Small Linux would be my goto

My Instagram

My YouTube

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,559

I agree with PM. Nearly all modern Linux distros will barf at the lack of ram and the inadequate gpu. You might be able to install Mint XFCE but do not hold your breath. (All other Mint varieties will bomb out during install)

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,542

You won’t get W7 on there either due to the lack of memory and the DX 8.1 graphics.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 512

Interesting that nobody has said “Scrap it”! Ed, I won’t bother trying any Mint (don’t expect it to work anyway). Planeman, I  WILL try DSL as soon as I get a few minutes.

Cheers all.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Les..

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 890

If you want to make it more usable by putting some more RAM in it, I probably have some.

What can you put in it ?

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,542

We never say die around here and if you can up the the memory to 1GB or above you may get Linux on it but W7 will not install unless you have DX 9.0c graphics.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

Boris, I never thought of possibility of RAM increase.

I opened the little “Ram” compartment, where I found a single piece of laptop ram, 256MB, DDR, PC2700.  CL2.5.

I switched on just to confirm and it entered setup to confirm the change of RAM, so I just shut down and refitted the single stick.

Obviously there must be an onboard 256 MB. That leaves the question what would it take? I assume the best hope would be to fit a 512 stick, if available, giving a maximum of 768MB.

I have some sticks here, so I have just been to check what I have. 512, 1GB and 2GB, but none will fit. Looking at my ram, with indent on RHS, the ones that won’t fit require a slot slightly more to the RHS. Not sure how else to describe.

WOF, no interest in W7 or similar. I do have newer laptop with W7, but is only used for the odd “Catch up” of CH4 for F1 if that is my only viewing choice. That laptop has a “battery killing” fault, so no good for regular use.

Cheers, Les.

Boris
    @boris

Boris, I never thought of possibility of RAM increase. I opened the little “Ram” compartment, where I found a single piece of laptop ram, 256MB, DDR, PC2700. CL2.5. I switched on just to confirm and it entered setup to confirm the change of RAM, so I just shut down and refitted the single stick. Obviously there must be an onboard 256 MB. That leaves the question what would it take? I assume the best hope would be to fit a 512 stick, if available, giving a maximum of 768MB. I have some sticks here, so I have just been to check what I have. 512, 1GB and 2GB, but none will fit. Looking at my ram, with indent on RHS, the ones that won’t fit require a slot slightly more to the RHS. Not sure how else to describe. Cheers, Les.

I’ll have a look in my spares boxes tomorrow for anything 512MB or bigger. The existing “onboard” RAM will probably be under the keyboard.

Boris
    @boris

That lappie should take up to 2GB of PC 2700 ??

– see https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-compaq-business-notebook-nx7010/

Boris
    @boris

The notebook was available with several hard drive options. 40GB and 60GB both with 4,200rpm or 5,400rpm speeds.

Also available was an 80GB 5,200rpm HDD

So a bigger faster H/D is another possible performance improvement.

Here is a teardown guide for it – https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HP+Compaq+nx7010+Business+Notebook+Teardown/15665

Step 7 shows you the RAM it takes.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

Boris, thanks for that lot. Yes, step 7 shows where I was, step 12 shows the one under the K/B. In the past when I only found one slot, there was permanent on board memory, I just assumed it would be like that here.

Yes please, if you do have suitable ram.

I will download DSL (thanks Planeman) and see what can be done.

Cheers all.

Les.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,085

Les, I’ve had DSL work very well on older kit than than what you have, Pentium 200 overclocked to 233 (via motherboard jumpers) and IIRC 64 MB RAM. Granted that was an older version of DSL but it’s truly amazing what it can do on very little resources.

Enjoy it, if you can have it hooked up the internet when you do the live session or install, it’ll help a lot.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

Planeman, yes, I see what you mean. I downloaded an iso for a “non-install”, burned to a CD, and booted straight in to it.

Being used to Mint 19, it was VERY bare. I could not see an “Install” icon such as Mint gives you, nor did it notice that I have a WiFi card in there.

I think I want something more “up to date” than DSL. I can see how it could save something from scrap, but this can handle more I think.

I think I will give XFCE a try, other suggestions are welcome.

Les.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,266

It’s just too old Les. You’ll only be able to run a system contemporary to the time.

Boris
    @boris

Boris, thanks for that lot. Yes, step 7 shows where I was, step 12 shows the one under the K/B. In the past when I only found one slot, there was permanent on board memory, I just assumed it would be like that here. Yes please, if you do have suitable ram.  Les.

Sorry Les,

Just spent about an hour going through all the boxes.  I have 6 sticks of PC2700 SO-DIMM – but unfortunately they are all 256MB – the 512MB  sticks I thought were PC2700 are in fact all PC4200/5300, so no good for you.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,306

Les I have had a 60GB IDE her in a drawer for years: little used, if you want it I would sending over. Any good? Bought just before a Mobo blew up, changed to SATA.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Boris
    @boris

It’s just too old Les. You’ll only be able to run a system contemporary to the time.

What about Puppy ? 4 or 5 ?

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,204

Some years back, about the time of that machine I made a great deal of use of Puppy Linux and found it very good at the and for its time. I have just checked it was on Puppy 2 in 2007

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,559

Planeman, yes, I see what you mean. I downloaded an iso for a “non-install”, burned to a CD, and booted straight in to it. Being used to Mint 19, it was VERY bare. I could not see an “Install” icon such as Mint gives you, nor did it notice that I have a WiFi card in there. I think I want something more “up to date” than DSL. I can see how it could save something from scrap, but this can handle more I think. I think I will give XFCE a try, other suggestions are welcome. Les.

It begs the question – what are you going to do with it?

Provided you avoid using it on the Internet then an old release of a distro is another option. You could even use it on the Internet except that many modern attacks are through the browser interface so it would be very dangerous to use where your money/cards are involved. It will also be pretty much limited to the software on the distribution i.e may not have (say)vlc.

Link

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

Boris, thanks for looking. I MAY try getting some off Ebay, but as Ed asks, what will I use it for? Actually, I may just pass it on to pal, so it would need to be pretty secure.

Last night I concluded DSL was a bit too basic, but I later downloaded “Linux lite”, so may try that later.

I did also look at Puppy, so we shall see how LL goes first.

Of course, by implication I suspect, Ed is saying “Scrap it”. That may be the answer.

Bob, is it a 2-1/2″ drive? If so, I may say “Yes please”, but not until I have a satisfactory distro, as I would not want to scrap your drive as well if that is the final solution.

Cheers all, Les.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love