Forumite

Used car buying advice

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Used car buying advice 2PlaneMan
    @planeman

Looking at a few cars tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I’ve not needed a car for years (more than 10) so I’m a bit rusty. I know the basics like checking the dipstick, tires, steering wheel, gear knob, wear to the interior and pedals.

It’s Skoda Citigo’s I’m looking at, all 3 years old, SE spec (all I need) and from a big car supermarket place near me.

I’m aware that the sales people at this place like to rush you and try and get you sign up for credit but I’ll be paying all in one go.

T.I.A

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 459 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Used car buying advice 3keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,502

3yrs old should all be good.

See if you can get it checked over or issued with an mot.

My only concern will be torn CV boots.

Participant
    Used car buying advice 4The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,396

Your better googling city go and see if it has any common faults to look for. At 3 years old it should be like new.

I like the CG the twingo and the up. I’d probably check out the twingo first, as it has the best turning circle due to its rear engine rear wheel set up.  owning a car with fwd and a sports suspension set up, a  poor turning circle is the bain of one life.

Plus a RWD shopping car would be quite fun.

Participant
    Used car buying advice 5Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,353

Review:

https://tinyurl.com/yc3evvqa

Values, from Parkers, best independent valuations:

https://tinyurl.com/yav9x274

Gives you an idea of what prices to look for.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Used car buying advice 6dwynnehugh
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 2,184

Just remember that ‘used car salesmen’ and ‘politicians’ have a great deal in common – if their mouths are moving, they’re lying! That’s my experience.

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Participant
    @sgb101

Add new car salesman to that list too. I think they are worse tbh, as they have no reason to not have their facts straight.

Also i hate the way they dismiss other manufacturers competing cars for the most stupid reasons. It’s a shame it probably washes with the majority of customers, but when your a bit of a car nerd, it really annoys me.

Before I cot my gtc I almost got a ds5, but the sales man was just horrible, the crap out of his mouth, didn’t put me off the car, but I wasn’t buying one from him.

Though Vx customer service/after sales is so bad, I won’t be returning to them (the local one at least) for a long time. All you get is BS BS and more BS.

I complained /ranted at a Vx survey last year, and about a month ago I got an email of a team that Vx has employed to snoop on customer service, they are willing to pay iirc £100, if I take part. I need to contact them before my next service (in about a month), then they will come in with me as I drop it off and pick it up. Taking notes in secret.

For a hundred quid, I’m in. It can only be because of my long rant on the cluster satisfaction survey. On the out of 1-10 how likely would I be to recommend Vx I put a 1. And added I would recommend they stayed away. So I think they are suckling up to me.

Participant
    Used car buying advice 8JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,012

I got offered that in June this year. It’s a group called Performance in People. I applied, but didn’t hear back from them.

They were working with Mercedes ( or for them ) and they wanted you to phone them first and then speak to MB to book the service. They would be recording or monitoring the call, plus as you say, go along with you on the day as a “friend”. It was £100 in John Lewis vouchers – as good as cash in many ways – most people could find something with JL and their prices are well matched.

EDIT – I forgot to mention, but with certain assessors, apparently, it could be you wearing the secret camera and doing the filming.

Participant
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,829

Thanks all.

The ones I’m looking at are all below the Parkers valuations.

Only issues I’ve been able to track down were with the earlier models, all rectified with a recall and not an issue in the 2014 models. I know it’ll need a timing belt change at 5 years old. MOT is at least 11 months.

The Twingo is damn expensive for what it is but I do like the idea, kind of like a modern Fiat 126.

The Citigo/Mii/Up are all the same car apart from some tiny cosmetic differences.  I’d be happy with any of them but the Up is way more expensive and the Mii harder to get. The local Skoda and Seat garages (same group and next door to each other) don’t seem keen on selling anything other than almost new or brand new cars, the occasional slightly older ones are VERY expensive.

Participant
    Used car buying advice 8JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,012

A client I was talking to about cars was saying that a lot of dealers are now sending all their ( not own brand ) PX cars to auction, these days. Dealers are now doing things like MB’s Approved Used Cars. These meet specific mileage, service, condition criteria and are competitively priced, plus at certain times of the year, they push deals on them, to make way for “New Plate” stock. That time is now, so could be a point worth pushing, come negotiating time, were you looking at dealers.

As far as Car Supermarkets go, I personally have never had good service from them when I was looking for a car for our son,  but that could just have been a bad outlet. ( Big Motoring World). Google the name of the outlet you’re going to, with “Complaints and reviews” – that gives you an idea of the level of service.

Good luck.

Participant
    @sgb101

yes JC the car supermarkets wont let you out once your in. you have to be very blunt with them for them to drop their patter. also the original price is never the price, and they will push and push for you to finance with them instead of buy. most places are not interested in cash sales today.

most people by cars on finance, but i never understand the people that take the dealers/supermarket finance option. may as well buy it on your credit card!

like football, i love cars, but hate the industry .

Participant
    Used car buying advice 12John Mitchell
    @mitchell65
    Forumite Points: 19

I complained /ranted at a Vx survey last year, and about a month ago I got an email of a team that Vx has employed to snoop on customer service, they are willing to pay iirc £100, if I take part. I need to contact them before my next service (in about a month), then they will come in with me as I drop it off and pick it up. Taking notes in secret. For a hundred quid, I’m in.

I wouldn’t touch that with somebody elses barge pole. I bet there is some iffy conditions to agree to before you see the colour of their money.

Participant
    @sgb101

The conditions are you let them tag along. When the time is closer, trust me, I’ll be looking close before I agree to anything.

Participant
    @planeman

All 3 cars were no good, one looked like it had been washed with a cloth that had fine grit on it, lots of noticeable  swirls on the bodywork and 4 different brands of tyre, 2 i’d never heard of.

Another had lots of stone chips on the bonnet  and chips on all of the doors and ruined wheels.

The last had a steering wheel that had seen a lot of use, same for the gear knob and the drivers seat was baggy and grubby.

Back to searching the net….

Participant
    @sgb101

The last paragraph sounds strange. How many miles did it have on it. Give its a city car, it can’t have more than 30k in 3 years. There shouldn’t be any wear to the wheel or gear knob. My car has just passed 27k and the only wear is the floor mat where my right heal sits.

That must of had a hard 3 years. Also strange to have a lot of stone chips on a city car, you need to be going quite a speed, or the car in front does, do make a mark, and you have to be quite unlucky to get many of them.

I don’t think different  tyres would but me off, if you dont like the lesser names, it won’t be expensive to swap them for something better, the wheels can only be small.

Tbh my car has different tyres two continentals and two Dunlops, can’t remember which was on originally, but they was £30 a piece more expensive then the ones I replaced them with. Think I bought the Dunlops, but could be wrong.

I remember the days when Id get part warns for £35 for my rover 420. Money trumped safety back then.

If your from buying a city car for economy, you know a low powered 2litre diesel will match a city car. My laguna estate 1.9l 130bhp was more economical than the in laws 1litre ka,By about 6mpg.

The 1.5d Renault engine is a cracker claimed 80mpg, probably hit 65mpg., it comes in the megan and now the (big) clio. I bet you could get a megan for similar money to a city car, with more comfort and space.

If you want a truer indication of mpg look at the American stats, I don’t know how they measure/test, but there’s is spot on, unlike ours. Just remember they use a 3.8l gallon to our 4.5l gallon, so youd need to adjust the figures to suit.

Participant
    @planeman

It had over 50k on it. I reckon it was a rental or maybe a loan car in a big city.

There are lots of them about around the 40-50k mark at 3 years old. I saw one advertised at 90k at 3 years.

The stone chips really amazed me, haven’t seen that many on a car in years, especially 3 years old. Again I reckon it was a rental.  That had 40k on it.

The last one was under 30k but the paintwork was terrible and the tyres really put me off, if they bought cheap tyres what else did they skimp on, as was said decent tyres for them aren’t exactly break the bank money. Around £50 a corner for really good ones.

I don’t like diesels, never have. I drove a Transit for work for a while and the engine was a pig, anything below 2,000 rpm and above 3,000 and there was nothing.  Also the noise was terrible.

Participant
    @sgb101

I wouldn’t judge deisel of the back of a transit. Mine is a diesel and will hit 60 in 7s though mine is far from full on the juice.

My laguna was no slough, under 10 to 60, and got 55mpg it’s whole life with me. Current car is 32!

When I got the laguna I went form a 180bhp petrol, and I found for the first few weeks, I was always a gear to high for the deisel. Given I spent that week in southern France, I almost capped myself a few times in cities, when I tried for a gap and had no power. But once I got over that it was no different to the petrol.

I’m moving from diesel next time round, and going for the Octavia vrs estate (probably) which has about 70 more horses than my current deisel so I’ll likely spend the majority of the first month a gear too low.

It’s all about readjusting, either way the cry cars do 60in about 14s, any modern diesel is going to be more spritly and more efficient. The issue with the city cars is how underpowered they are, so your going to be using 100% of the engine all the time,where  bigger engine wont be breaking a sweat.

The new rav4 hydrid is a great balance of deisel power and efficacy, with the pokieness of a petrol. For a big car with 200bhp it gets a real world 44mpg. Which is fantastic.

But if I was you I’d be looking at the 1.5d in the renaults or the 1.6d in the fords, it’s not that far behind the Renault megan, but probably cheaper as focus’s are a plenty.

Both a far better car than the city cars, in conform, space and efficacy.

90k on a 3yeae old city car, it best be a rental, as that would be some back breaking,  soul distroying motoring.

I like a small car, I’d love a fiesta St 150/200, but if your doing 30k a year, you need a saloon.

Which Btw a saloon is always the best by secondhand. Loads of lease cars 3 and 4 year old come on the market. My laguna was an ex company car, that was traded in at a Renault garage, I got it for £4k 4 years old with 46k on the clock. A right deal. Though I had to travel in land for it, as on average on the coast around here we pay about a grand premium.

Still like the twingo, especially in its gt guise. Iirc 109bhp which  should be ample in a little car. Though it’s probably the same 0.9l 3cy power plant, so won’t be that efficient.

A the outgoing swift sport in 3 door, is another favourite of mine. I bet they are quite cheap at 3 years old.

Participant
    @planeman

I don’t like diesel. I wouldn’t do the mileage to make it worthwhile and there are plenty of people that have bought smallish diesel cars and ruined the particulate filter by only doing small journeys.

Whatever car I end up with will a smallish one, no bigger than Fiesta size. I just don’t need anything bigger. If I do need anything bigger I can borrow my mothers car and she can have mine.

Around Cardiff and Penarth (where I’ll be mostly using it) a smaller car makes a hell of a difference when parking and getting through traffic, especially at peak times.

I’ve looked at the Suzuki Swift and they aren’t cheap, unfortunately. I’d have to get a basic one about 6/7 years old with 60k plus on it for the price of a low mileage 3-4 year old fully loaded Mii/Citigo.

Participant
    @sgb101

Amazed the swift isn’t cheap. Though that may be because they are a nice car, and people are getting rid of them early.

Do like the swift, it’s a cooler option than the common as muck mini.

Participant
    @planeman

Off to see a almost loaded Seat Mii tomorrow. Under 13K on it and just within my budget.

Short youtube vid. Can’t get the embed to work.

Participant
    Used car buying advice 21Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,896

Asked about the new local showroom on Facebook, but apart from a sarcastic comment from a friend, I got nothing :(

Participant
    @planeman

No problem. Thanks for trying.

I might call in tomorrow and have a look.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 459 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.