Used car buying advice

HOME Forums Motoring New & Used Car Buying Advice Used car buying advice

This topic contains 329 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Looking at a few cars tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I’ve not needed a car for years (more than 10) so I’m a bit rusty. I know the basics like checking the dipstick, tires, steering wheel, gear knob, wear to the interior and pedals.

It’s Skoda Citigo’s I’m looking at, all 3 years old, SE spec (all I need) and from a big car supermarket place near me.

I’m aware that the sales people at this place like to rush you and try and get you sign up for credit but I’ll be paying all in one go.

T.I.A

• This topic was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by RSB.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 181 through 200 (of 329 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,282

They are not appearing in Firefox, Chrome, IE or that funny upstarty thing edge for me.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 935

No sign of them on the computer in Chrome here. Just checked Chrome on the phone, and nothing there either.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,559

I can see them fine. Chrome on Android

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,075

Nothing here ,either on Chrome OS or Android

My Instagram

My YouTube

The Duke
    @sgb101

They have vanished for me too. They was there honest.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 670

Think I know why, I copied them into the post from Google Photos, which I have pretty tightly tied down.

I used the phone camera to take a photo of the original photo, uploaded it to GP and copied it from there, so it was probably permissions ( or lack of ), although Steve’s viewing contradicts that.

Copying them from the phone this time, so here goes.

Hopefully fully visible.😀

Edit – just tried an incognito Chrome window and they are visible.👍👍

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by JayCeeDee.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Working fine here now. 😀

As Steve said where I used to live (Ely in Cardiff) wrecked/burnt out cars was a regular occurence. It was sport for the local scumbags as was baiting Police or Fire crews who turned up to deal with the mess.

My Instagram

My YouTube

The Duke
    @sgb101

I forgot about the baiting, the fire engines wouldn’t come without the police.

Just shows, we talk about ‘the youth of today…. ‘, but really not a lot has changed. Thry just find different crap to do.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

@JCD, I can see the images now, perhaps it should have been put up on ebay, at least one careful owner and one slightly upset recent user. I am slightly surprised there was not more destruction, those cars used to self destruct pretty easily once the fire bug arrived to claim them. A sad end to an interesting project.

At least the surrounding are did not suffer too badly, were there houses close by?

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 1,733

Now working fine for me too.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee

Richard – The alley itself ran parallel to the High Road, between a side street and another main road. The view in picture 1 has been improved vastly, but remains essentially the same. The view from picture 4 has been replaced by a house that featured on a Grand Design build. HERE. It was an ugly concrete mess, but it only replaced a row of 15 garages. Might be prettier if he cleaned the windows and painted the roof line fascia!! It shows how close to house/gardens the fire was.

All along the High Road were shops, with 2-storey flats above – one of which was mine. The fence that you see wrecked, next to the car, was the back fence to those. Along the side street starting adjacent to the alley were houses, similarly along the other main road.

The oxy-acetylene tanks – plus a couple of carts with smaller tanks – were placed into a makeshift paddling pool constructed from tarpaulins and milk crates by the fire brigade. Had this not brought their temperature down, the Police and Fire Brigade were considering evacuating the block.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

I’m so glad I had the aircon done. Went to Barry Island today and it was 16 c outside  Must have been 20 in the car. Aircon on, nice and cold. I can’t handle being hot

My Instagram

My YouTube

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

@JCD some lucky escapes all round, though not for the car. The fire brigade usually play safety first these days and evacuate as a first step from what I have seen and heard. They would have a field day in the Middle East where acetylene was produced from generators fed carbide lumps and water. The gas  generators looked about 100~200 years old.

It was pretty warm here going up to about 20 degrees at one point as I was taking my wife for a Saturday afternoon scan, it was enough to open the window and have the blower on, but boy has the warmer weather helped the fuel consumption, low 40s  to mid 50s mpg in a couple of days. Longer runs to hospitals have probably helped. As we are keeping some medicines, (long story) in the conservatory the climate control was needed to cool things for the first time this year.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee

Yes -it was sunny here today – nipped out to the pharmacy this morning and where the car had been closed and in the sun I was tempted to give the A/C a quick blast, the sunroof actually dealt with it nicely. When I got back home, I checked the conservatory, for the dogs, and opened a few of the windows for the first time. Here’s hoping!!

The Duke
    @sgb101

I woke up in Liverpool and it was clod and damp, drove home and it was blue skies and 18. Spring is here.

Hopefully.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 1,733

Lord I haven’t been to Barry Island since I was 8! Southerndown and the Ogmore Valley were much nicer.

Looking at the pics, Southerndown has lost a lot of sand since my childhood.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Ed P.

The Duke
    @sgb101

“Looking at the pics, Southerndown has lost a lot of sand since my childhood.”

Them lot down there will nick anything 😋

FreakShow!
    Participant
    @freakshow
    Forumite Points: 57

Going to have read this thread. I’ve just had the car MOT’d and it had to have a few things fixed. Only £217 though this time round. But I think after 17 years, she’s going to start having more and more things at issue.

The Clutch is slipping (driven round it for 2 years though), the MOT notes corroding brake lines and uneven brake discs. So come next MOT it could be time to finally let go.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Just been cleaning my car and some scumbag has grazed my door and wing, pushing the wing in a bit. There are marks on the door and wing, not terrible but bloody annoying. The dash has also started rattling but I tweaked it a bit and clicked so hopefully that’s sorted. In the photo below if you look by the headlight at the joint you can see the gap that’s opened up by the wheel arch.

Really annoyed that some git did this and didn’t  bother to own up to it. The idiot driver must have felt it. I think it happened when I was at ASDA in Barry so I’ll call there tomorrow and see if they can/will help.

My Instagram

My YouTube

The Duke
    @sgb101

Gutted for you. 😥

I won’t go my Asda as there is always many abandoned torrys.

I won’t go my local Aldi as the carpark is extremely tight, and many have been hit there.

Viewing 20 replies - 181 through 200 (of 329 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love