Forumite

Used car buying advice

HOME Forums Motoring New & Used Car Buying Advice Used car buying advice

This topic contains 425 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Looking at a few cars tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I’ve not needed a car for years (more than 10) so I’m a bit rusty. I know the basics like checking the dipstick, tires, steering wheel, gear knob, wear to the interior and pedals.

It’s Skoda Citigo’s I’m looking at, all 3 years old, SE spec (all I need) and from a big car supermarket place near me.

I’m aware that the sales people at this place like to rush you and try and get you sign up for credit but I’ll be paying all in one go.

T.I.A

Viewing 20 replies - 341 through 360 (of 425 total)
  • Author
    Replies

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 3,753

Ended up going for the 630 model, should arrive tomorrow.

Good decision – that LED light will be brighter and the red flashing light is a bonus.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 5,655

The rear wiper on my car has been winding me up for a few days, left a semicircle of dirt behind. No one else can see it but it bugs the hell out of me.

No problem I thought just buy a new one. Problem is no-one lists a rear wiper for a 2017 Swift. Fronts, no problem.

Then I had a brainwave, still had the old one from my 2012 Swift so I test fitted that to the 2017 Swift and it’s perfect. £6.16 and a 20 minute round trip to Euro Car Parts and a brand new Bosch H250 wiper fitted in under 2 minutes with knackered, sore hands. Halfords around the corner wanted £12.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

The oil light came on today on my way home, had to pass the dealership so called in to get some oil, which was strange to me as it was fine on Saturday.

Talked to the guy in the parts section and it turns out that it’s an oil change warning light, not an oil shortage warning light.  ?

Which means a service, realistically. Just put a service light in the dash, ffs.

So it’s booked in for Monday.

About 2,000 miles or 2 months early but it does get driven, I don’t go mad but it’s such a laugh on B roads.

Also need a new tyre soon, will check with the place I’ve been taking various family members cars for years, which is literally 5 minutes away, tomorrow.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee

Also need a new tyre soon, will check with the place I’ve been taking various family members cars for years, which is literally 5 minutes away, tomorrow.

If your shop hasn’t got the tyre, look at Kwikfit online. I always look and book online first – a lot cheaper than their shop price and the same tyre is put on by the same mechanics!!

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Thanks JCD .

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee

Trying to keep a calm face on things at the moment. I’m trading in my 08 B class for a 66 B Class. I’ve chosen the one I want, they’re fixing a small fault on the sunroof blind. Parts ordered, but coming from Germany. Should be here by the end of the week, fitted over the weekend and paintwork StarGard treated early next week. I had it done on the 08 6 years ago, when I bought it and it has stayed clean and shiny over that period. Bird crap just washes off easily too. I should collect it middle of next week all things being equal.??

I’ve always liked having all the toys and this one is fully specced. I’ve been looking since before Christmas and they are all appearing now following the trade-ins for the 19 plates. Swapping my Polar Silver Metallic for a Mountain Grey Metallic.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Getting a new car is great, I love it. I’m already on the look out for my next one, haven’t got the £ yet unless I just want a newer version of what I’ve got now but I’m after more power next time, not that I need it I just fancy a properly sporty car while I physically can get in and out of one.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee

I did a lot of research on the individual spec that I felt I wanted. Last year in July, I had a big repair done on mine and we had a wedding to go to in North London the weekend it was in. They gave me a 5 month old B Class as a Courtesy Car, specced up well, but not completely what I was looking for. That was it – I knew what I wanted, it was all down to when.

Had some money came in in March, so that dealt with a chunk of the cost and also indicated the timing, ie when the latest Reg came in, there would be a solid supply of second hand late models.

I spent a lot of time researching and streamlining searches on the MB Approved Used website and Autotrader, with email notifications. In a very short space of time I knew what I would be going for, it was all down to waiting.

Good luck with your search.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

The place I go for tyres is now part of a chain, thankfully it’s been left alone apart from some re-branding and tidying up.

Quickest they could get a tyre online was for Saturday morning, went to see them and it’ll be there tomorrow morning. Also having the tracking checked as they reckon that’s why only the one tyre is worn. Amount of huge potholes around here at the moment I wouldn’t be surprised.

Some of the potholes are almost big enough to lose a small wheel like on a Up! to half way.

JCD, hope the new motor lives up to your expectations.

I keep a very close eye on the stock levels of the dealers near me (Almost every major make is near!) and I also know of a few ‘secret’ areas where they keep stock and rotate the cars every so often to make it look like they are selling more than they are. Sneaky barstewards car dealers.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee

JCD, hope the new motor lives up to your expectations.

Cheers ?

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,257

Careful Nolan, this is not strictly true:

Also having the tracking checked as they reckon that’s why only the one tyre is worn.

If tracking was out, you would have wear on both front tyres. Wear on both fronts, outer edge of tread = “Toeing-in.” Inner edge – “Toeing-out.”

One front tyre probably means a suspension or steering part has wear on that side, possibly a ball joint or a bush. If they find and repair the worn component, I would always advise that steering alignment (tracking) is done anyway. After my recent first service on the iX20, Read Hyundai sent me a video with a warning to watch the front tyres, as mine were beginning to wear on the inner edges: both tyres are evenly worn. I will make an appointment at Kwikfit soon, Motability has a contract with them and I get along well with the Grimsby workshop. One tip, wherever you go for tyres and work: look at your tyres, note the size and make and tell them when you book, to make sure they have at least one of the right spec in stock.

Our roads around here are absolutely awful, like driving through a Third World country. No wonder my steering is out, Lincolnshire Highways (well, their civil contractors) patch the roads and often the patches are worse than the potholes were!

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Car serviced today, feels like a new motor again.

Nothing unexpected, going to need a new tyre and pads/discs in about 6 months, tyre is being done Thursday. I’ll get the pads and discs done in about 3 months time, sooner if I can save more £ to replace what I’ve spent recently.

Still got the big family birthday coming up and that’s going to cost a fortune.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Took the car to get the tyre changed this morning, no problems. Until I get back to the car. Wrong tyre fitted. I asked for a specific Bridgestone so all the tyres match.

Go back and tell them and the parts bloke tried to fob me off by saying the tyre fitted was the updated version of the one I asked for. I told him I cannot and will not drive the car until it’s the way I asked, and was quoted, for.

And I can’t. My car has to be just so and an odd tyre will drive me insane. It’s winding me up now and the car is at the dealers still.  Should be done by 4 this afternoon as they have to order one in.

I’m not happy, to say the least.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 4,228

I also like matching tyres. Your head would of exploded of you was with me when I had a blow out in France last year. (no spare in modern cars!)

So tow truck to a tyre place. They said they could order a matching tyre for the Monday (it was Wed iirc), we was due to move on to Spain on the Friday.

They had a salution, they had two tyres that would fit my car, but the was 255/55/19s and not the 255/45/19s I have.

So not only was they a different make they was different sizes also. So I had larger tyres on the rear to the front.

Cost me almost £400 for the pleasure, and had to leave a perfectly good michalin in France, As I had no room for it. Great afternoon that was! NOT

Swapped then off as soon as I got home, it was cheaper as my local garage took the 2 new (2k motorway miles) 55s off me and discounted the 2 new 45s for me. Iirc that was about anther £100! I only went out for milk and bread.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Steve, you’re right, I’d be a mess in that situation. ?

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Steve, you’re right, I’d be a mess in that situation. ?

Me too. I could not bear to think of tyres being different makes on same axle: different sizes between front and rear would do my head in until I changed them. Funny thing is, our son is like that with his motor, parts and tools whilst his garden and house is a mess. I’m OCD about all of that.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Just got back from picking up the car. It’s all now as it should be.?

Turns out the cock-up saved me a bit of £ as the the tyre I specified was £20 more than the one originally supplied. No extra charge because of the cock-up.

Went straight to get my first lot of methotrexate injectors from the pharmacy, they’ve come direct from the hospital up until now, they are a different design to the ones I’m used to. ?    RTFM on them when I’m out of the hospital supplied ones.

Bob, my brother extracts the urine with me about my car. He points out any dust or dirt knowing full well it’ll do my head in until I clean it. My back garden is a wildlife refuge. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. ?. My house is clean but has stuff everywhere. Just how I like it.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Nolan, my garden is my missus’ domain. I just do what I am told there! The only things I had a choice in placing, were the birthday gifts from my senior granddaughter: a clock/thermometer/barometer and a crystal ball solar lamp. I put the clock exactly in the centre of the wall space between the bathroom and master bedroom and I used a spirit level to place it exactly level. Then I placed the solar lamp exactly in the space between two shaped slabs of a rotunda around the Sundial. Not doing it all that way would have really offended me. Bonus was knowing that SWMBO was watching and fuming because I took so long to do it and it was not where she wanted it all.?

Now I have to keep an eye on her whenever she goes into the garden…??

--- Robin Williams

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 4,228

I personally hate clocks. I hate ticks, and I hate leds too. So my house is almost clock less.

I can’t even keep my watch on my wrist or on my bed side cabnet because of the ticking.

Although I now have an Google home hub next to my bed and it’s got the dimest led clock o na black back ground. It’s is the clock I’ve always wanted and never knew.

It’s that dull you really have to focus on it at night. In the day (or when the light is on) it is a superb picter frame. That scrolls though 15uears of Google photos. I’m not the sentimental type, but evey now and then a picture of a holiday 10 years ago, or a sports day 15 etc.. And It brightens my mood.

The wife has already told me, the Google minis are to be replaced by hubs. Once they come on offer. If you have digital photos, I think for 100 quid it’s a steal. Speaker is an upgrade on tdh mini also, so it’s win win.

Though I’ll be pairing the replaced mini with the hub in each room for stereo sound.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,303

I am very different on clocks and almost a total slut over car washing and for that matter the tyres. I usually have at least matching tyres on the same axel, but front to back it is often a different story. On the old car, the fronts do about 30,000 miles, but the rears went on for closer to 75,000. As marketing moves affect the issue over time, I can easily end up the a miss match front to rear. I did vacuum the front out a couple of days ago and, yes today I was really pleased with the result. However, the dust on the outside would drive many nuts. I do want to see out, but I don’t go much further.

Most rooms have at least one clock and I almost always wear a watch – it is now well over 40 years old and getting the right battery is a real pain. I know the mobile ha a clock, but it is usually burred in an inside pocket and can take what feels like another century to dig it out. A flick of the wrist and I can check the time

I guess it is horses for courses.

Viewing 20 replies - 341 through 360 (of 425 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!