Forumite

Used car buying advice

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Used car buying advice 2PlaneMan
    @planeman

Looking at a few cars tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I’ve not needed a car for years (more than 10) so I’m a bit rusty. I know the basics like checking the dipstick, tires, steering wheel, gear knob, wear to the interior and pedals.

It’s Skoda Citigo’s I’m looking at, all 3 years old, SE spec (all I need) and from a big car supermarket place near me.

I’m aware that the sales people at this place like to rush you and try and get you sign up for credit but I’ll be paying all in one go.

T.I.A

Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 459 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Used car buying advice 3Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,353

This could blow the government’s intentions to ban IC engines by 2040, out of the water:

https://tinyurl.com/yczo88qv

And from Mazda, after all the big manufacturers have been trying to do this for years.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Used car buying advice 4The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,396

I was reading somthing similar last month regarding a breakthrough on deisel, and bring the gases off at a higher rate making more power and iirc 80% less pollutants, Than the current diesel set ups.

The 2040 thing is just a guide at this point. Unless we start tackling charging, and really rolling a standadised system out. Plus sure up the national  grid network, electric cars won’t take off. Early adopters will put up with not being able to charge, and planning any long trip, (bit like we but up with buggie crappy software etc), but the main stream driver won’t.

I’m all for ev cars, but the support network for them needs to be in place. I don’t know why the gov is rolling out a public owned system, one where we have a payment portal via the gov. So they can tax the car electric you use outside the home. It will Atleast make uk some of the fuel duty sort fall.

Idealy every light post, signpost and bin in the national needs an out put. A big ask.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

What if the goverment decide to tie-in Smart meters to home EV chargers?  This just came to mind, they could hold out a carrot by subsidising the cost of EV home charging, tying that into Smart meters would give them the opportunity to charge some form of tax at source.

Bloody hell, I hope there are no government figures reading this…

Seriously, there are many obstacles to nationwide EV use. The biggest being the incompetence of governments when faced with organising and building such monster programmes. Also, where will the energy come from? This has to be carefully considered over a period of decades: governments cannot future-plan beyond the next election and their place on a Westminster bench. Nuclear power plants require decades to plan, finance and build. Renewables will never be able to supply enough energy to run the system and fossil fuels are being phased out.

Kill HS2, expand and electrify interconnects for local rail and tram systems. IF goverment is serious about pollution, taking taffic out of our overcrowded roads, which in themselves cost increasingly more £billions annually to maintain. They get advised about all this by organisations set up by government, then ignore the recommendations.

I'm out.

Participant
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,829

Mostly wasted afternoon. Phoned the dealer with the Mii to confirm it was still there and when doing some last minute checking found that a dealer on the other side of Cardiff had a Hyundai i10, 2014, full service history and just within my range. Phoned them to check it was still there.

Went to see the Hyundai and it was indeed there but broken, it was waiting to go the main dealer for a water pump change under warranty. It looks great but of course no test drive and they wouldn’t take a deposit as they have no clue when the work will be done.

Went to see the Mii and the keys were there but the car was M.I.A. 3 blokes checked the entire site 3 times and no sign of the car, where it was earlier was now a space. Needles to say they were a bit concerned and scurried off to check the CCTV.

Went to drop my mothers car off back at hers and stopped at the car sales place a few hundred meters from her back gate just on the off chance, they usually have fairly old stuff for a few hundred (probably p/x clearouts from bigger dealers) and the odd few big luxury cars.

They have red, 2011 Twingo RenaultSport 133 that’s immaculate.  Mileage is about right. I’m in love. OFC with no-no claims the insurance is steep but not as bad as I thought.  Shame there was no-one there to ask about it but I might cycle up tomorrow.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

Think you will be happier with the Twingo Nolan. I test-drove a Hyundai i10x and i20x before settling for the Tucson on Motability. The ‘x’ means a higher ride and roof, ride not much higher really. The i10x was horrible and the i20x not much better. The i10 and i20’s are going out on Motability, in standard and x format, apparently, because of no deposit or even money back.

Horrible to drive, I would take the Twingo any day. Or a Ka. Anything, but I really hated those test drives!

Good luck, hope you find something suitable.

EDIT: my granddaughter has had a 55 Kia Picanto for almost 12 months now and loves it, uses it daily for work and also drives all over the place to pop concerts, seeing relatives miles away, shopping etc. Had it serviced at the independent garage her dad always uses and it just needed 2 tyres. She is a big girl with a big BF, the Kia stands it.

Just a thought…

I'm out.

Participant
    @planeman

I’m really hoping the Twingo has a full service history, a car like that needs it, preferably main dealer. It’s a car that if it’s as good as it looks might actually go up in value.

Participant
    @sgb101

Rear engine, rear driven, basically a 911.

Whats the 133 is that it’s hp? If they are getting that figure out of a small engine, it want be frugal, but should be a hoot.

Edit-just looked it up, I like it’s look, I have a thing for little hatches. That should be really fun to drive, and it looks the part. I didn’t know the rear engine was a new (15) thing. It’s not like you could oversteer somthing which a short wheel base, so It won’t really matter. You just don’t get the insanely tight turning circle.

You may want to check it out, as they have lowered the car, probably widening the track too, the turning circle may be hideous in it. Whenever they “sportify” a (fwd) car they alway compromise that. So make sure you try a u turn an a moderate road, it may turn out a 5 point turn. Which I could live with, but probably wouldn’t in a city.

Don’t let your heart rule your brain tomorrow. I’ve been there, I’m driving it! Still love it, just enjoys me often. Reminds me of the wife lol.

Participant
    @planeman

It’s the shape before the rear engine one, the one Clarkson had Ross Kemp in the boot on Top Gear. It’s the standard Renault Sport, not the Cup. So not as stiff.

And yes, 133 is the BHP, 1.6 petrol, no turbo.

I’m well aware about heart over head. If it’s not near as dammit perfect, I’m leaving it.

Participant
    @sgb101

Just reading a few reviews on the 133, seems like it’s chassis is meant be fantastic if your a ‘driver’. I like the sound of it.

Though if efficiency is high on your lists, this is not the car for you. Autocar got 30.8mpg over their time with it, and other review mentioned poor economy.

If I didn’t do alot of miles, (I don’t at around 12k) it wouldnt bother me. The only thing that bothers me is (mine does 32mpg) is the small 55litre tank, I seem to be at the pump twice a month. My laguna got 55mpg and had a 75lire tank and could go almost twice as far. The Octavia will get about 30mpg and has a 50litre tank! The oppersite to progress.

Participant
    @planeman

I’ve just been checking the photos of the 133, it’s a Cup version or someone has switched the wheels for Cup ones.

Either way I’m out. The ride would be too firm for me. ?

Back to the internet…..

Participant
    @sgb101

I’d still take it for a spin. But yes, it will likely be harsh, the 133 apparently isn’t the most comfy, but that’s the trade off with dynamics, and that’s without larger more low pride wheels. Also tyre raw I’d bet would be large, may not be an issue around town, but wouldnt be fun on longer stretches.

These cheaper cars are hardly packed with sound deadening, probably this model has some taken out, in the name of lightness, add to that bigger wheels, it will be loud above 50mph. These cars are made for weekend trap weapons for learner track days, or weekend country jornts.

The sil law has a mini Cooper, and that a great country lane car, I mean great, but such a bad motorway car, and not a great town car tbh. For the life of me I cant see why they are so common.

except for the iPhone sheeple factor. Go around any middle class village and they are packed with minis, it’s like they have no imagination, and just get what the Jones bought.

Participant
    @planeman

The roads around here are terrible, even in something a little bit soft like my mum’s Captur it’s very noticeable.

Anything that’s been lowered or runs on super low profile rubber would break me in minutes.

Participant
    @sgb101

Having a goosed back, I definitely hear that.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

I hear that too! I might be able to get into it, but after a few miles on crumbling Lincolnshire roads, my also crumbling spine would mean the Fire Service would have to cut the roof off.

I would have enjoyed it a few years ago, though. Nearest thing to that I ever drove, was Singer Chamois: (Hillman Imp, played with) Lowered, twin Webers, trick cam. Rear engine, RWD. I enjoyed that thing so much, wrecked it in a wood. I could slide the backend out on corners with ease, just on throttle and opposite lock. I was a lunatic behind a wheel in those days.

I'm out.

Participant
    @planeman

Just put a refundable deposit down on a 2012, bright red,5 door, 1.2,98 BHP Suzuki Swift SZ3.  Under £5k. Which is a steal.  The place is real close to me.

I had a quick look at it as it was on it’s way for MOT, service and valet. If there’s anything I’m not happy with after the test drive and inspection someone else can have it and I get my money back.

Hopefully the quest is over!

Participant
    @sgb101

I like the swift, a thinking man’s mini. They look better too imo. Probably better spec’d also.

Participant
    @planeman

The Swift is cheaper than a MINI as well. I have no idea why they are so expensive, even 7/8 year old ones with big miles go for about £7k. ?

Participant
    @sgb101

They are stupid new. And like all bmws you get nothing in them, and the options are obscene. The basic trim is super cheap injection mold plastics too.

I was very disappointed when i Sat in the back of the SiL’s one. They are fun in the lanes, I’ll give them that. But do fall short everywhere else. To get the handling feeling so good on the b roads, BMW have had to super weighted the staring,so when in town, they feel like a big saloon, or even a SUV. It’s strange. But it’s the same trick they pull on the 3 series. But it works better on them as they do most of there travel on the motorway, and the extra artifical weight, makes the car feel hunkered to the road at speed. So you’ll forgive it around town.

It’s a strange car, great for the odd blast, but not a great car. The trouble with the reviews is they only have them a few days and concentrate on blading them around the countryside, then rave about how fun they are. Which is only half (or a third) of the story.

If you haven’t guessed, I’m not a fan. I’m not a fan of anything that is more a status symbol and it’s function is secondary.

Participant
    @planeman

I’m pretty certain that I mentioned this on the MM forum but I had a test drive of the MINI on it’s original launch day. It was booked months in advance and as I was (and still am) a huge fan of the original Mini, I was really excited. I had a good lump of money to put down as a deposit, about a third.

I saw the car and almost gave my place in the line to the next person. I was 3rd.

I had the test drive anyway, they were ‘strictly limited’ to 15 minutes. Mine took over an hour. ?

When I took the car back I was asked by a BMW ‘customer relations’ manager what I thought, camera rolling over his shoulder into my face. My reply didn’t make the news, somehow. ‘What a bag of shite, where’s the space gone, it handles like a rollerskate on marbles and the engine is like that out of a lawnmower.’ ?

Participant
    @bullstuff2

My reply didn’t make the news, somehow. ‘What a bag of shite, where’s the space gone, it handles like a rollerskate on marbles and the engine is like that out of a lawnmower.’ ?

I love that, it’s very similar what a mate of mine said to his son, who bought one of the first “Mini One’s”. Followed by “More B___y money than sense!”- His son always had to be first to buy he latest everything, then wreck it. A few years ago the lad was made redundant from his financial job, now works behind the till at a local bank and drives an old Corsa.

I will always remember the advent of the first (and real) Mini. I was 14 in 1959 and on a 2 week school trip to Innsbruck, Austria. On the Monday I managed to get hold of Sunday’s News of the World, then a popular broadsheet newspaper. There was a full page ad for the “Morris Mini-Minor” and “Austin Seven”: basically, the same car, with an exploded diagram to demonstrate the ‘new’ technology of transverse engine, FWD and rubber cone suspension. At 14, and attending a Technical school, all of us lads who crowded around that paper, were deeply impressed. Years later, in my early 30’s, I worked on the things and became unimpressed! Today I was at Saltfleet Gala with my son, gson and their Stationary engines. There were many Classic cars, tractors and bikes and as usual I disappeared into the ranks of these nostalgic lumps of old tech.

There were 2 “real” Mini’s: a 1979 1275 GT, and a beautiful light blue Mk.1 1964 Mini, badged as a Morris. The 1275 numbers were a bit sus to me, and a close look showed a lack of detail in the restoration. It also belonged to a loudmouth. The blue MK 1 was owned by a lady in her 60’s, who said that she had assisted her husband in the restoration, until he passed away. She then completed the restoration herself over another 5 years, having it professionally bare-metal resprayed in the original BMC colour. From her talk about the car, and the well-used toolbox she showed me in the boot, I am in no doubt that she knew what she was talking about and really had finished the restoration.

A capper to the day, was the sight of a 350 Matchless, the reg plate looked familiar so I noted it. Dug through some old family photos at home, and there was my big bro, sat astride that same bike. I had sat pillion on that bike from a kid. Nostalgia sometimes IS what it used to be!

I'm out.

Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 459 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.